Comic-Con Discussion

General Discussions, Polls, Lists, Video Clips and Links
AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dan » July 15th, 2009, 1:51 am

Forgot to mention that the times of the panels are not set in stone. Heck, just now, a couple have already been moved about. A good example is on Thursday. The Drawn to Life panel with Glen Keane and Don Hahn got moved from noon to 3pm.

Hall H on Thursday is the one that's on constant change watch given that so many Twilight fan-girls are going to crowd it for the Summit Entertainment panel that includes Twilight and those wanting to check out the 3D footage from Disney and James Cameron's Avatar.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by James » July 22nd, 2009, 10:47 am

The Toys of Comic-con

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/comic_c ... ay_with_us

Cool Runaway Brain Mickey Mouse figure in there.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » July 22nd, 2009, 10:53 am

Zombie Mickey looks great! Actually more scary than anything in the actual short! I was actually pretty spooked out on seeing that. :)

GeorgeC

Post by GeorgeC » July 22nd, 2009, 11:35 am

I'm on tap for a Runaway Brain Mickey Mouse statue. That's the official Disney release. Most of the other Runaway Brain Mickey's are from licensees. The best, I think, are still the PVC figurines from Japan. I wish more Mickey's would be done in the style of the late 1930s color Mickey (think Brave Little Tailor and Through the Looking Glass for the style I'm thinking about).

What I don't like much about SDCC are the exclusives. They're totally unaffordable if you're not at the Con. The good thing is that a year later a lot of this stuff turns up again on e-Bay below cost. For the time being, though, people try to sell this stuff for 2-4 times its actual retail price. Totally not worth it!

GeorgeC

Post by GeorgeC » July 25th, 2009, 3:59 pm

I'll be honest with you, Ben.

The "new" Disney stuff bores me to tears.

Yet another Pixar-driven love-fest over Hayao Miyazaki. <Yawn>

That was old when Spirited Away was released in the US seven years ago and quite frankly the fanbase for Japanese films is smaller than it was back then, too. I don't know what it is but even Disney can't muster much enthusiasm beyond the usual geek anime fandom for the Studio Ghibli/Miyazaki films in the United States.

What's new there at Disney, really?

Everything announced is either a remake or a sequel to a film/story Disney has already done!

Are there really tribes of people flocking to see another TRON? I saw the original TRON in theaters when it was brand-new and it flopped for good reasons. Has there ever been a sequel made more than 7 years after the original film that's ever done that well?

At least Warner Brothers and (I hate to admit this) Marvel are venturing into territories with new characters/properties that haven't had films done with them before.

GeorgeC

Post by GeorgeC » July 26th, 2009, 3:17 am

It looks like DC/Warner Bros really stole the thunder out of everybody else with regards to direct-to-video product.

The upcoming Green Lantern home video, First Flight, from all reports I've read sounds like it was one of the certifiable hits of the con. So many people had to be left out of the first public showing on Thursday that an encore was scheduled for Sunday!

Seriously, Green Lantern (the Hal Jordan version) has the potential to rival Superman and Batman as one of DC Comics' juggernauts IF the animated project and live-action film go off well. (Still not sold on Ryan Reynolds as GL, though. I have a lot of reservations about the guy to be honest...) There has been so much heat building underneath this character for close to six years now that it seems inevitable unless the Powers-That-Be really screw this opportunity up. I'm dead serious about that.

GL was probably DC's second most popular character in the early 1960s. Only Superman was more popular. Heck, Batman practically got cancelled before the Adam West series saved the character! Sales on the Bat comics were that bad...

There's also some considerable interest drumming up in the upcoming Batman/Superman video, Public Enemies. Listen, it's a storyline I read a while back and it IS silly but it features a lot of character cameos and some nice moments. There are going to be great voice actors coming back as the classic characters as well as some heroes and villains that have never appeared in animation before.

The animation for PE doesn't quite look like the original comic book art (nobody can animate the Ed McGuiness artwork) but it's definitely different than what's been done before with Superman and Batman.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » July 26th, 2009, 5:56 pm

WB also just made a big announcement for more DC Motion Comics. Seems this is a way they're interested in pushing to get more titles out there without the full/limited animation of the DTV movies.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » July 26th, 2009, 6:02 pm

New Disney = I'm interested to see all the latest stuff.

Pixar/Miyazaki = gotta say I'd love to hear the guy in person.

Another Tron = OMG YES!

WB/Marvel = agreed, but comics geeks aside, they could be seen to be scraping barrels and, without the character recognition, I can't see many of these films being massive hits.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by EricJ » July 26th, 2009, 6:17 pm

Ben wrote:WB also just made a big announcement for more DC Motion Comics. Seems this is a way they're interested in pushing to get more titles out there without the full/limited animation of the DTV movies.
Actually, like Watchmen MC, seems to be a way of getting more franchises under their Audiobook banner, even when they have too many pictures--
We've also had the Peanuts MC, which, while saving the trouble of Bill Melendez being dead, doesn't actually suggest this is DC exclusive at Warner.

(Granted, they don't have many other franchises besides Peanuts, DC or DC-movie-related that ARE graphic enough to Audiobook-illustrate, but hopefully mentioning Charlie Brown would get GeorgeC off of another off-topic vanity-attention comic-book rant... :P )

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by EricJ » July 26th, 2009, 6:19 pm

Actually, like Watchmen MC, seems to be a way of getting more franchises under their Warner Audiobook banner, even with marketable titles that have too many pictures--
We've also had the Peanuts MC, which, while saving the trouble of Bill Melendez being dead, doesn't actually suggest this is DC exclusive at Warner.

(Granted, they don't have many other franchises besides Peanuts, DC or DC-movie-related that ARE graphic enough to Audiobook-illustrate, but hopefully mentioning Charlie Brown might distract GeorgeC off of another off-topic comic-geek rant for trademark/attention... :P )

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » July 26th, 2009, 6:48 pm

Eric, as always you're coming in here without the facts.

Getting REALLY boring, my friend. :(

My post referenced the fact that three new <B>DC</B> motion comic titles have just been announced.

Superman: Red Son, Batgirl: Year One and Batman: Black and White Collection 2 will all be released through Warner Premiere, the DTV label responsible for the current DC Universe animated movies.

So nothing to do with Audiobook banners or the like. But all to do with you continually thinking you are right and that's that. Yep, I've had a craggy day, but the constant GeorgeC bating is also getting tired. Nope, check that...it got tired long ago. Any more, and I'm afraid you're outta here, faster than a motion comic.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by eddievalient » July 26th, 2009, 8:59 pm

I don't know, Ben. Jonah Hex could prove to be a surprise hit.
The Official Lugofilm Ltd Youtube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/bartsimpson83

GeorgeC

Post by GeorgeC » July 26th, 2009, 10:19 pm

Ben wrote:New Disney = I'm interested to see all the latest stuff.

Pixar/Miyazaki = gotta say I'd love to hear the guy in person.

Another Tron = OMG YES!

WB/Marvel = agreed, but comics geeks aside, they could be seen to be scraping barrels and, without the character recognition, I can't see many of these films being massive hits.

I doubt Miyazaki speaks English to be honest. You'll hear his translator! :lol: Having been to several cons where there were Japanese speakers, they usually don't say anything that interesting to begin with and it's very boring to listen to translated speech through interpreters. Much rather prefer to speed through interviews on video at home than slog through a press conference.

(It's already apparent to me that I'd be horrible at this PR stuff...)

At any rate, I don't expect Ponyo to be a big hit. It probably won't even earn enough in theaters to pay for the prints struck up for the American release. It will still play at second/third venue movie theaters and art theaters in the States. Advance word on the film is that it's too esoteric for most tastes and really plays best to kids -- in other words, adults will go to sleep and a lot of anime fans will stay away from the film if the advance word is not good. Can't go by Japanese acceptance. Totally different standards the US.

Tron 2? Even more cult than many of the Marvel and DC characters. I'm still remembering how forgettable the original film was. It's the spin-off games that were interesting. What we've seen so far is concept test footage... not actual production film. This thing could still die on the drawing boards like 90% of most other films do.

And I can refute your last point with two words, Ben --

Green Lantern.

The animated GL film was one of the hits of the Comic-Con.

If the live-action film is a success, Green Lantern has a chance to be as big as Superman or Batman. Mark my words. This is something that has been in the offing for almost six years now.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » July 27th, 2009, 10:28 am

Eddie...I didn't mean that none of these films wouldn't be hits. I just can't see them being mega-blockbusters.

George...Tron 2 actually just finished shooting, so death on the drawing boards isn't going to happen. It's been filmed.; it's now in post.

Green Lantern has the brand recognition that will see it become a moderate smash. The animated film is all a part of making sure the character is out there again. I think the film would do quite well. Going back to Eddie, its the other, lesser known characters that they are trying to give more spotlight to that I don't think will become blockbusters.

GeorgeC

Post by GeorgeC » July 27th, 2009, 7:48 pm

They're that far on Tron 2?!?!?!?

Best of luck to them (Disney)...

There are going to be a bunch of clueless fanboys -- hardly any of the self-appointed know-it-alls read or watch films 5 minutes older than they are now(!) -- that will think Tron 2 stole elements from The Matrix when it's actually The Matrix that borrowed quite a few elements from the original Tron and William Gibson's cyberpunk novels!

GL is probably already DC's third-highest recognition character in American comics now. The live-action film, if it's done well, could easily put the character at the level of Batman and Superman in worldwide recognition.

It's too bad that the original GL's creator didn't live to see this happen. I'm sure he would have been ecstatic about the film happening now!