More yummies for fans that can afford them...

General Discussions, Polls, Lists, Video Clips and Links
GeorgeC

More yummies for fans that can afford them...

Post by GeorgeC » August 7th, 2008, 12:47 am

A new line of Disney busts is being released later this year.

They look pretty good... Much better than the porcelain Disney Traditions statues I regularly see in Previews (the comic book order catalog I get free every month).

The price is also right -- around $65 average, 10% less or better with advance order.

I'm seeing Triton (Little Mermaid), Captain Hook, the Wicked Queen as Peddler Woman (Snow White), Ursula (Little Mermaid), The Rocketeer, and Chernabog are seeing releases.

Chernabog technically isn't a bust and at $600 just isn't worth it unless you love Fantasia (which I don't).

Most of these were sculpted by Ruben Procopio, an artist sometimes credited with reviving the art of maquette sculpting at Disney Animation Studios in the late 1980s/early 1990s. Since then, Mr. Procopio has left Disney and works as a talent-for-hire. I own a statue or two that he sculpted including the Flash Gordon statue release from Electric Tiki (which was a steal at the price I bought it at online!).

Here's Ruben Procopio's blog along with pics of the bust --
http://maskedavengerstudios.blogspot.com/

Again, they all look VERY good! And the price seems right for the quality (at least of the prototypes).

Lately, I've also been trolling around for a decent retro-style Mickey Mouse. So far, the company that produces the best-looking product regularly is Medicom of Japan. Although their product is PVC (plastic), it looks as good or better than at least 75% of the other licensed stuff I see regularly including what shows up in Disney-licensed galleries and Disney Stores.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by droosan » August 7th, 2008, 2:00 am

Chilmark makes (made?) some pretty nice-looking pewter figurines of the 'pie-eyed' Mickey and Minnie .. in a variety of sizes and price-points. I think I paid about US$60 apiece for the 3-inch Mickey/Minnie pewter figurines I have (but I've had them for about 20 years; so I dunno what they go for, these days). They'd also made some nice bronze Mickey figurines, IIRC.

--------------------------

And I agree; Medicom's "Vinyl Collectible Dolls" collection is among the best-looking (and best 'bang for the buck') licensed Disney figurines being made today. I have their Plane Crazy and Two-Gun Mickey Mickey/Minnie sets, as well as Pluto from the 'comic version' (Gottfedson design) .. along with Tinkerbell, Ariel, Belle, Jasmine, and Jessica/Roger Rabbit.

GeorgeC

Post by GeorgeC » August 7th, 2008, 2:11 am

Hmmm...

I have been thinking about getting Two-Gun Mickey and the pie-eyed full-color Mickey that Medicom made.

They're still available for close to or below retail price.

Not so crazy about their "Wild Brain" Mickey since I'm not a fan of the post-Moore redesign Mickey. It's still a nice PVC figure, modern Mickey design aside.

Chilmark, I haven't heard of, but I have to admit I have not been in the market for Disney stuff for long.

Most of the officially licensed Disney stuff is just way beyond what I want to pay and would take up too much of my roomspace! :lol:

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » August 7th, 2008, 8:43 am

George...I toned down the (admittedly not too flammable) title of this topic...please remember to refrain from using certain words, especially in titles, thanks. :)

Now...I'd love to get me a bunch of this kind of stuff, but I'm so limited in space where we are now that I really have to keep my collecting to the "important" things like books and DVDs. But some day I'm hoping I can go nuts on some figures and even a few cels. I'm a big poster collector and have a bunch of those ready to go up at some point, but as George says, it's just where to keep these things and have them out on display...!

GeorgeC

Post by GeorgeC » August 30th, 2008, 10:09 pm

Another thing for Nerds to Mourn...

http://news.yahoo.com/nphotos/Vegas-Sta ... rtrekexper

"It's dead, Jim..."

And I never really had a desire to go to Vegas, either.

To paraphrase an old epic --

"And who doth pulleth this Sword from the Stone shall be King over All Englande..."

http://www.albion-swords.com/Discerner/Discerner.html

To paraphrase even more ---

"EXCALIBUR!"

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by eddievalient » August 31st, 2008, 11:30 am

First Pleasure Island, then the Star Trek Experience (which I never had the chance to go see), what next? *insert Muttley grumble here*
The Official Lugofilm Ltd Youtube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/bartsimpson83