Worst Animated Films You've Seen

General Discussions, Polls, Lists, Video Clips and Links
AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » January 21st, 2009, 4:42 pm

I'm a Wild fan, actually, and like it much more than Madagascar, despite the production problems.

I don't think it's unfair to say that it was also a case of Disney being able to prove to Pixar that they didn't need them to produce and release animated CG movies. I'm sure the film's director Spaz might like to add some comments too... ;)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by surfnspy » January 21st, 2009, 7:18 pm

True. The movie was given the green light at a low point in the relationship between Disney and Pixar. (Wow, it is sort of unbelievable to think about those days considering all that has happened since.)

I guess IF the movie had been made on time AND had made the 200 million domestic haul of Madagascar. . .then, well, who knows what would have happened?

:roll:

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Sunday » January 21st, 2009, 8:04 pm

surfnspy wrote:Sorry so many of you hate it so much.
Haha, does seem to be one of those spark points. I really need to get up to date with Wild, Madagascar, Over the Hedge and others so I can start spewing vitriol one way or the other.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Randall » January 21st, 2009, 9:51 pm

I like both The Wild and Madagascar. They're both fun films that generally avoid much of what I dislike about some of the DreamWorks films.

I can see a person failing to be impressed by either, but can't understand why someone would hate either one.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by eddievalient » January 21st, 2009, 11:40 pm

That's easy. Because they're both thoroughly mediocre and Madagascar's success proves that the American public will take slop and like it.
The Official Lugofilm Ltd Youtube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/bartsimpson83

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Randall » January 22nd, 2009, 12:10 am

Mediocrity breeds hatred? Really? That's pretty sad. Considering that mediocrity, by its nature, applies to most things, that means there must be an awful lot of hatred in your world. :( What emotion do you save for truly awful films, I wonder.

Films like Madagascar and The Wild were never meant to be landmark films. They only sought to entertain. At least 90% of commercial films have such modest aspirations. But a lot of talented people worked on those two cartoons, and I can't bring myself to hate the films for being what they were meant to be.

American_dog_2008

Post by American_dog_2008 » January 22nd, 2009, 4:16 am

I love Madagascar and The Wild too.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by eddievalient » January 24th, 2009, 1:10 am

Randall wrote:There must be an awful lot of hatred in your world.
Actually, my standards aren't that high most of the time. For me not to enjoy a movie, it has to be pretty bad. That's all.
The Official Lugofilm Ltd Youtube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/bartsimpson83

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Randall » January 24th, 2009, 10:13 am

"Pretty bad" is a ways off from "mediocre," isn't it?

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » January 24th, 2009, 4:54 pm

Hey eddie...your signature image is a little large. Could you reduce it down or crop the extraneous black out of it please? Thanks! :)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by eddievalient » January 25th, 2009, 1:55 pm

Sure thing, Ben.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Zach » January 27th, 2009, 12:02 am

Wow, I still haven't had a chance to watch that yet. I never really thought about watching it, because it looks underrated to me. But it is going to be on airing on Disney Channel soon, and I hope I get a chance to watch it. And see it for myself.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Bill1978 » January 31st, 2009, 6:20 pm

The one animated movie I struggle to watch is Dreamworks Spirit. I find it ploddy and pretentious. I saw it at the cinemas and it didn't bother me that half way through something happened and they had to pause the film to fix it. And then since I collect animated movies I bought the DVD and to this day I have not managed to sit through it completely once. I jsut get bored with it. I will admit that I think part of the problem is that it's a movie about horses.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by EricJ » January 31st, 2009, 7:48 pm

Bill1978 wrote:The one animated movie I struggle to watch is Dreamworks Spirit. I find it ploddy and pretentious. I saw it at the cinemas and it didn't bother me that half way through something happened and they had to pause the film to fix it. And then since I collect animated movies I bought the DVD and to this day I have not managed to sit through it completely once. I jsut get bored with it. I will admit that I think part of the problem is that it's a movie about horses.
Reportedly, this was the Katzenberg "future-theft" version of the "serious" cows movie Disney's "Home on the Range" was originally going to be back when it was still "Sweating Bullets"--
Guess we can thank Jeff for talking them out of it. :?

And yes, "Sinbad" got all the publicity, but "Spirit" was the movie that officially sank the public's love for corny, melodramatic Katz-formula Lion-worship knockoffs in the DW/imitation industry...
I remember how the TV ads were reduced to promoting the ONE humorous moment in the movie (aw, the cute lil' Indian toddler!), to try persuade us that it had more of them. It didn't work.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Whippet Angel » January 31st, 2009, 11:26 pm

And what's wrong with horses? Horses are lovely animals that we don't see very much of in animated feature films. It could be because they're incredibly difficult to animate. DW totally nailed the film's overall design in my opinion, and it's a gorgeous film to look at.

The reason it doesn't work is that the story was incredibly lame. When I watched this film for the first time, I was actually angry. Angry because it had the potential to be very very good, but instead was incredibly BORING.