Worst Animated Films You've Seen

General Discussions, Polls, Lists, Video Clips and Links
AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Rodney » January 31st, 2009, 11:32 pm

Spirit - a little boring. Worst film? not really.

That would be Filmation's Oliver Twist. I hated that movie, but I was more or less forced to watch it.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Zach » January 31st, 2009, 11:36 pm

Spirit wasn't too bad. What I can't stand is all those live-action horse movies.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » February 1st, 2009, 6:19 pm

Spirit is what is is...an animated epic. And epics are supposed to be long and worthy.

I actually like it. It doesn't get a ton of play here, but when it does I am always marveled by the tradigital approach and Baxter's amazing equine animation.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Randall » February 1st, 2009, 10:45 pm

When I finally saw Spirit, I was totally surprised at how much I liked it.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by EricJ » February 1st, 2009, 11:04 pm

(checks to see whether anyone else was brave enough to sit through "Quest for Camelot" out of 90's-historical curiosity)

...Nobody, huh?

We'll probably have some isolated defenders, but for my part, I'll say that I've never seen a 90's-wannabe go so far and so quickly off its rails almost immediately after its requisite faux-LK Big Gorgeous Opening Number--
You can feel the tone drop by about half, the very second the Corny Villain opens his mouth. :(

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Randall » February 1st, 2009, 11:18 pm

Man, I'd forgotten all about Quest for Camelot. I blind-bought the DVD after not hearing much about the film. (And it was one of the first animated features on DVD, don't forget!) I haven't watched it a second time, but now you've got me thinking about it!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Bill1978 » February 2nd, 2009, 2:17 am

I've seen Quest For Camelot or as it was known here in Australia The Magic Sword.

At a really basic level I enjoyed it while the story wasn;t highly original I thought it was decent enough for a movie but the poor animation and shocking mix of traditional with cg made me cringe. As did a lot of the segways into and out of the songs. I still shudder at the conclusion of I Stand Alone. Garrett finishes the song and Kayley responds with 'Well I stand alone too!' Why not just have the character say 'Wow you were singing a song and I listened to it, but now it's time to forget you sang and get on with pointless dialogue'
I will admit that I quite like the songs of Quest For Camelot my main problem is that they recruited big names from Warner Records to provide the singing voices. It was almost like the movie was made to promote the album rather than the album being complimentary to the movie.

But I would rank Quest For Camelot above Spirit as I am able to sit through a viewing of Quest For Camelot in its entirety.
Ben wrote:Spirit is what is is...an animated epic. And epics are supposed to be long and worthy.
This movie definietely feels long but it's definitely not worthy. It actually sufferes from what prevents me from really loving The Prince Of Egypt, it's so pretentious that I just can't escape into it. I feel like the whole movie is pointing out to me how impressive it is and how important it thinks it is. That's why I think Sinbad and The Road To El Dorado are better DW movie because they are all about just enjoying the ride.
Whippet Angel wrote:And what's wrong with horses?
I'm just personally not a horse person and then throw in the fact that it's a western it's already 2 points behind in my book. Same with movies about cars, they just don't interest me, although I did enjoy Pixar's CARS when the movie was set in Radiator Springs, i was just bored with the racing aspects.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Rodney » February 2nd, 2009, 12:01 pm

I never got around to watching Quest for Camelot. At the time, it seemed like a wannabe Disney musical. I never watched it though so I can't comment on the quality.

As for Spirit, I should say that despite what I may think of the film's pace and story, the animation in the film is spectacular. It is one of Dreamwork's most beautifully animated films.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by EricJ » February 2nd, 2009, 2:18 pm

Bill1978 wrote:I'm just personally not a horse person and then throw in the fact that it's a western it's already 2 points behind in my book.
The "pretentious" idea was that we were supposed to follow the story without human dialogue, a la Wall-E...

The story, however, was so Katz-corny, that it felt like we were watching Every Corny-Melodramatic 90's-Wannabe, only where every line of obligatory-cliche' 90-'s wannabe dialogue had been replaced by horse-whinnies:
"Hwn-whnn-whn-WHNNN!" (Subtitle: "Your fight's with ME!") :P

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Whippet Angel » February 2nd, 2009, 3:04 pm

Bill1978 wrote: it's so pretentious that I just can't escape into it.
Yeah, think that was my main problem with Spirit as well. I kinda felt like it was trying too hard.

I actually liked the idea of having Spirit as the narrator. I just wish they'd gone with a different voice actor (Matt Damon was too bland, and didn't really do much for the character)

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » February 2nd, 2009, 3:28 pm

I was able to visit Warner Bros.' London offices where a lot of Quest For Camelot was animated.

As we often hear, the original intention was for it to be pretty serious, not "dark" like too many things are "supposed" to be, but it was looking pretty spectacular on the boards.

Unfortunately, the Powers That Be asked for a lot of the film to be re-worked, meaning a lot of added comedy moments, such as those awkwardly inserted Bladebeak moments, and such. Overall, I quite like the film...it does have its moments and isn't nearly as bad as some other Disney wannabes (the raft of Princess films in the 1990s).

Here's my full take:
http://animated-views.com/2002/the-ques ... l-edition/

:)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by EricJ » February 2nd, 2009, 9:44 pm

Ben wrote:Unfortunately, the Powers That Be asked for a lot of the film to be re-worked, meaning a lot of added comedy moments, such as those awkwardly inserted Bladebeak moments, and such.
Yes, such as when our heroine describes her heart's desire to follow in her father's footsteps as a knight, we're also treated to an apparent comic subplot involving chickens... :?

(What can we say: It was the future "Underdog" director.
We didn't know it then, and obviously he didn't know, but we know it now. )

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Meg » February 4th, 2009, 7:44 am

Have not seen Quest For Camelot, and probably never will, but I did catch Spirit a few years ago and agree with Bill in that the film is too pretentious for it's own good. I was actually surprised by how much I disliked it, since I was a youngish girl at the time and pretty much loved anything involving horses and animation. But I really just found myself pretty bored with it.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » February 4th, 2009, 4:53 pm

Meg...you should give Camelot a go if you happen to get the chance. It's playing on the movie channels here a lot at the moment so maybe the TV license is out for it at the moment and it could pop up on some US channels too. I'd recommend it for the good parts, and as an essential part of picking up on 1990s Disney wannabe animation...where there strengths and weaknesses lay.

:)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by FanamI » May 7th, 2009, 3:55 pm

I cant watch it without falling asleep

LOTR 1978
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dF5nwy7J ... re=related