Worst Animated Films You've Seen

General Discussions, Polls, Lists, Video Clips and Links
AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » April 15th, 2010, 1:32 pm

Forget the Weinstein re-recorded mash-up mess that was "Doogal" and find "The Magic Roundabout", the original English dub for the movie.

Characters that shouldn't speak don't, and it's much more faithful to the original animated series. If you can play PAL discs, the UK special edition even has some original episodes for comparison.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ringshin » May 20th, 2010, 12:42 am

Overall:
Igor. I left with my kids after fifteen minutes. A suicidal cat? Everybody slapping each other around CONSTANTLY. Plus, it's marketed as if it's a kid’s flick.

Disney:
I love Disney films, but there are a few films that I just can not stand. They are an insult to classic Disney, in my view anyway.
Chicken Little
Home On The Range
Emporers New Groove
Lilo and Stitch
Fantasia 2000

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by eddievalient » May 21st, 2010, 3:12 pm

Lilo and Stitch an insult? I'm sorry, but you have no taste. Lilo and Stitch is widely regarded as one of the best films Disney's ever made and for good reason. I'd understand if you were referring to the later TV series (which had its moments but was largely hit and miss), but the original film is nothing less than a masterpiece.

As for Igor, they may have done wrong marketing it to kids, this is true, but for teens and grownups, it's a great movie, very funny and entertaining. Just because something is animated that doesn't mean it has to be aimed at kids (although my young niece loved Igor). Example: GI Joe Resolute. A fun, action packed movie that's rated PG13 and made exclusively with the adult fans in mind. It really uses the rating and is much more violent than anything seen in the other GI Joe cartoons and thus may not be suitable for young kids. And there's nothing at all wrong with that.

In fact, it pleases me greatly that American animation is starting to break free of what TV Tropes calls the "animation age ghetto" and is starting to be seen as something that can be openly enjoyed by adults. I hope that someday, American animation will be seen the same way as Japanese anime. That is to say, seen purely as a medium for telling stories (any kind of stories), regardless of genre or demographic.

Unfortunately, it is people like you, who insist that all animation be kid friendly, who have kept that from happening for far too long. But the time is coming (and indeed may already be here) when parents actually have to do their job and pay attention to what their kids are seeing even in animation.

If it helps, the Movie Mom, Nell Minnow (www.moviemom.com) writes her reviews in such a way that leaves no question as to what the film contains and gives a minimum recommended age for seeing it. You should bookmark her site and check it before letting your kids see something you're not sure about. Then maybe you wouldn't have to complain.
The Official Lugofilm Ltd Youtube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/bartsimpson83

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » May 24th, 2010, 6:52 am

I have Igor on my DVR and have yet to catch up with it, but apart from Chicken Little, every other film on that list actually achieves what it set out to do.

Home On The Range - not a great film, but not a "worst" animated film either, just the unfortunate result of studio politics. It was much better than it could have been.

The Emperor's New Groove - again, much meddling during production (ENG isn't even actually the film they started out to make), but Mark Dindal turned it into a freewheeling hit.

Lilo And Stitch - like Eddie said.

Fantasia 2000 - while any sequel to a Walt original is laying itself wide open for pulling apart, F/2K actually pulled off a pretty mean feat. Even if some think it can't compare to the hand-crafted artistry of the 1940 original, at least it added something to the concept without embarrassing itself. And again, it's nowhere near a "worst movie", even if the subject was obviously not your kind of thing.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Randall » May 24th, 2010, 9:50 am

Yeah, of that list I only hated Chicken Little. I may revisit it someday, but I thought it was unbelievably bad when I first saw it.

I liked the others, except for one--- I loved Fantasia 2000.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » May 24th, 2010, 12:17 pm

Yep! :)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Re: Worst Animated Films You've Seen

Post by estefan » November 10th, 2010, 9:24 pm

So, here's another film that deserves a mention on here: Felix the Cat The Movie!

I saw this one many, many years ago and I recall enjoying it. Watching it again for the first time in many years, I have to wonder if somebody spiked my juice box or something. The animation is embarrassing, the story makes little sense, the characters are lame and poorly executed (especially the villain), the voice-acting is poorly performed and dubbed and even Felix the Cat is un-interesting. It looks like so little effort was put into this, that this easily ranks alongside A Troll in Central Park and Pokemon: The First Movie as one of the worst animated films I've ever seen.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » November 11th, 2010, 3:49 am

Seconded!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by carlminez » March 31st, 2011, 12:12 pm

Madagascar takes the cake. No question about it.
Last edited by carlminez on March 31st, 2011, 12:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Re: Worst Animated Films You've Seen

Post by Whippet Angel » March 31st, 2011, 7:18 pm

Ah, we fully agree on something! :mrgreen:

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by carlminez » April 15th, 2011, 7:25 pm

Wow! I thought that would be physically impossible or transform the world into a supermassive black hole or something!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by estefan » April 16th, 2011, 12:44 pm

Didn't think I would see the day I would watch an animated film worse than A Troll in Central Park and yet, today I watched The Happy Cricket. Terrible dialogue, awful animation, annoying and bland characters, ear-killing songs, bad voice-acting and a story that is so poorly constructed, it's not even funny. They spend two decades making this piece of garbage! The folks at Pixar could write a better screenplay in their sleep. Easily the worst animated feature I have ever seen. Avoid it, whenever possible.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » April 16th, 2011, 1:15 pm

OMG! That looks terrible! Even the trailer is disjointed! It's as if the 1990s rush of Disney knock-offs never happened... :(

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by EricJ » April 16th, 2011, 1:28 pm

Pebble & the Penguin turned up on Instant Netflix, which, like Troll/Park, is one of the last two Bluths I haven't slowed down to accident-view...Er, what should I expect?

(I've found you can get curious and put the most surprising things on your queue when they stream for free, even sneaking a worst-animated look at "American Rabbit" and "Rainbow Brite & the Star Stealers". It's just out of industry curiosity, since I remembered staying away from these in theaters.)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Vernadyn » April 16th, 2011, 7:47 pm

Put it this way-even Bluth realized how terrible Pebble and the Penguin was, and removed his name from the project.