Who remembers...?

General Discussions, Polls, Lists, Video Clips and Links
AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Who remembers...?

Post by Sunday » December 10th, 2008, 5:17 pm

...Dunderklumpen!

And I'm completely unsure about this one. Grew up on it and thought it was great when I was seven years old, but Dunderklumpen! could perhaps be thrown in that other thread for worst animated films for all I know. I think I remember something of extraordinarily random, fairytale quality, but a very random adventure does not a classic make. (Perhaps a cult classic?)

By the way, the point of this thread is to either make some comment of suitable Dunderklump-ness or dredge up other obscure works from your childhood and see what's what.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by eddievalient » December 12th, 2008, 8:51 am

I've got one. Who remembers "The Elmchanted Forest"? This charming film was made in eastern Europe and dubbed into english in the 80s. There was a dvd released, but it was pulled out of print rather quickly and now it's nearly impossible to find. Pity.
The Official Lugofilm Ltd Youtube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/bartsimpson83

American_dog_2008

Post by American_dog_2008 » December 12th, 2008, 3:52 pm

Has anybody else seen Millionaire Dogs from Germany 1999?

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Darkblade » December 12th, 2008, 6:42 pm

Anyone remember Cats Dont Dance?

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » December 12th, 2008, 7:13 pm

Millionaire Dogs brings back a vague memory, though I never saw it.

Cats Don't Dance has a lot of love around here, DB. :)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Whippet Angel » December 13th, 2008, 1:10 am

Hows about The Mouse and His Child?
I think I've still got this on VHS somewhere. It's about as obscure as they come.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by EricJ » December 13th, 2008, 4:29 am

Whippet Angel wrote:Hows about The Mouse and His Child?
I think I've still got this on VHS somewhere. It's about as obscure as they come.
If we're talking about those weird, obscure 70's foreign/UK kids' movies that would surface on HBO in the primeval days of cable (and which you kept staring at and had to watch, because you'd misplaced the Guide, and couldn't make head or tail of what you were looking at), "The Water Babies" is also on disk--
No word, however, on "Dot & the Kangaroo" or the English-dubbed Asterix.

(And yeah, we know, "Twice Upon a Time", both versions...There, it's been mentioned.) :P

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by droosan » December 13th, 2008, 5:53 am

Both Dot and the Kangaroo and Dot and the Bunny have been released on Region-1 DVD (although, it seems Dot and the Bunny is already 'out-of-print').

The first six animated Asterix films (Asterix & Cleopatra, Asterix the Gaul, The Twelve Tasks of Asterix, Asterix in Britain, Asterix & Caesar, and Asterix & the Big Fight) have been released in a Region-2 DVD boxed set titled The Collected Adventures of Asterix.

I have Twice Upon A Time on laserdisc .. but it would be nice if it could see a DVD release, eventually.

---------------

I haven't thought about The Mouse and his Child in a long time .. but I do recall seeing it on cable, during the early-1980's.

Cats Don't Dance is terrific; solidly within the 'top ten' animated features of the 1990's, AFAIC. It certainly doesn't strike me as an 'obscure' animated film; rather, it is (perhaps) 'under-appreciated' among general audiences.

I haven't heard of Millionaire Dogs, The Elmchanted Forest, or Dunderklumpen (though, I find that still from Dunderklumpen intriguing) ..

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » December 13th, 2008, 7:51 am

Tubby The Tuba.

I think it was a European animated film, but the version I saw and remember had Dick Van Dyke performing title character voice over duties...first and only time he's done vocals for an animated film, me thinks.

The movie was well animated...though may have been a little long as I remember it. I wish I still had my VHS of that...still remember Tubby's little theme he used to play!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Whippet Angel » December 13th, 2008, 12:49 pm

Actually, Tubby was created by the New York Institute of Technology (Pixar's "birthplace"). I don't think anyone from the Pixar team actually worked on this though.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by EricJ » December 13th, 2008, 1:11 pm

Okay, this's reaching back a bit on early-cable nightmares:
Ever wonder HOW Mel Brooks ever knew so much about Broadway flops?--
One viewing of "Shinbone Alley" (which producers thought could be rescued as an animated movie) will put a lot of questions into context...

(Yes, the line from "The Producers", as Zero Mostel is reading musical scripts:
"'Gregor Samsa woke one day to find himself turned into a cockroach'...It's too GOOD!"
may, in fact, have been an in-joke...)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Sunday » December 13th, 2008, 4:03 pm

Hm, now I really want to take a gander at Mouse and His Child. There's just something about wind-up toy characters :) ...

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by starlioness » December 13th, 2008, 9:30 pm

heh, haven't seen Mouse and His Child in a while.. I just remember it being extremely trippy.. :shock: ..

heh, yeah Tubby the Tuba's a good one I have a CD that has some Tubby the Tuba stuff on it.. not really related to the film.. but I have to look it up..

it would be cool to see a CGI film about Musical Instruments.. *thinks*..

yeah, I love Twice upon a Time.. the cutout animation is neat ;)..

ooh, I need to see Arabian Knight/Thief and the Cobbler again.. even if it is the diced up version.. Zig-Zag is so the predeccessor of Genie and Jafar..

oh yeah Cats Don't Dance is love :D.. I can listen to C.D all day..

heh, I have Shinbone Alley on VHS.. never saw the musical but I wish they had Eartha Kitt instead of Carol Channing as Mehitabel .. don't like Carol's voice that much.. love Alan Reed as Big Bill though ;)..

never saw Millionaire Dogs.. looked to much like a Lady and the Tramp/Aristocats clone to me..:p..

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Sunday » December 14th, 2008, 12:32 am

starlioness wrote:it would be cool to see a CGI film about Musical Instruments.. *thinks*..
Sounds like Animusic will have to tide you over till then.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by OriginalGagBonkers » April 13th, 2009, 9:16 pm

Anyone remember Space Jam?