Would you class live-action hybrids as animated films?

General Discussions, Polls, Lists, Video Clips and Links

What would you class "Roger Rabbit" and the like as?

Animated films!
50%
Live action films!
50%

Total votes: 8

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Would you class live-action hybrids as animated films?

Post by Wonderlicious » February 15th, 2005, 5:56 am

I was just wondering about this. Films such as Who Framed Roger Rabbit, Mary Poppins, Bedknobs and Broomsticks and Space Jam all contain animated segments, yet are all based in the real world in the majority of places. I'm not sure whether to call such films as animated films, as they seem doubtful cases. What would you class them as?
-Joe

[i]GIRL: Do you know the way to the Magic Kingdom?
PETER PAN: Sure I do...but can you [b]fly?[/b][/i]
-Scary Disney World TV ad circa '71

[b][url=http://www.dvdaficionado.com/dvds.html?cat=1&sub=All&id=big_joe]My DVD List[/url][/b]

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Plightyear » February 15th, 2005, 9:10 am

Message deleted
Last edited by Plightyear on January 10th, 2007, 10:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Phil » February 15th, 2005, 9:15 am

I consider them a subcategory of animated features.

I'm a little anal with my collection, but my Disney movies are separated into five subcategories:
1. The "official" 44 - Snow White to Home on the Range
2. The hybrids - Mary Poppins, Roger Rabbit, etc. (Song of the South is the only one missing from this part of my shelf.)
3. TV animated features - DuckTales: The Movie to Teacher's Pet
4. Stop motion - Nightmare Before Christmas and James and the Giant Peach
5. Disney/Pixar - Toy Story to Finding Nemo

But, yes, Roger Rabbit is on my animation shelf as opposed to my live-action shelf.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » February 26th, 2005, 6:07 pm

I think you have to look at the type of film they are.

I have all my animated Buena Vista releases (including Pixar, Mirarmax, DTV and theatricals) lined up in release order.

Among them are Mary Poppins, Bedknobs, Pete's Dragon and Roger Rabbit, not least because they were essentially made by the feature animation crews, even though they were live-action oriented films. Plus, the feel of each of them really does point towards "cartoon" rather than live-action, for me at least.

Space Jam and Incredible Mr Limpet kept switching back and forth until recently I decided to apply the same rules and thought "well, they were made by the animated divisions" of WB, so belong in my animated line-up.

BTW, Song Of The South isn't missing from my collection... ;)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Mike Ventrella » February 28th, 2005, 8:08 pm

The problem now is that many films have huge sections of animation, but not necessarily character animation. Sky Captain and the new Star Wars films probably have more animation than Roger Rabbit ever had, but no one claims that they are animated films, because the animation is more "special effects" than main characters.

But it is an interesting question!