Comics You'd Like To See Become Animated

General Discussions, Polls, Lists, Video Clips and Links
AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Comics You'd Like To See Become Animated

Post by Trusted Vizier » May 20th, 2009, 3:15 pm

A few days ago I re-read one of my favorite comics; The Chuckling Whatsit by Richard Sala. Upon once again venturing into it's dark world of hapless hack-journalists, mysterious women, masked assassins and labyrinthine conspiracies, it struck me that this particular comic would propably make a great animated feature or series. A quick search on Google also revealed that Sala had already done a 12-minute long (or something around that length) animated mini-series called "The Invisible Hands". Anyway, I watch all episodes of "Hands" on Youtube, thought it was pretty good and was impressed by how much plot it had, considering it's total running-time, but I digress.

Anyway, are there any comics out there that you would like to see become animated and if so, which ones?

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Rosengeist » May 20th, 2009, 3:41 pm

Personally I always thought that Jeff Smiths "Bone" would make a great animated television program. It's got this great mix of humour and action, without being silly or contrived, that I think would appeal to broad age range. Nothing in it (as far as I've read) would make it child innapropriate, in fact I think Disney ran it in one of their childrens magazines for a while, but at the same time, it doesn't neccesarily feel like it was written to pander to children. I think there are some genuinely dark moments in that series, but it's never done in a context that would make it unwatchable for a wide audiance.

Plus, I think it has some character designs that look like they already came from animation. Simple, appealing and yet easily readable. The Bone's actually look a little like Mickey Mouse to me, at least, they seem to have come from that school of thought in terms of design.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by OriginalGagBonkers » May 21st, 2009, 11:22 am

Personally I would like to see Milton Knight do Fritz the cat. Hey Rosengeist look at this
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fone_Bone#Animated_film

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Sunday » May 21st, 2009, 2:01 pm

The Far Side (yes, that Far Side), done up by Richard Condie. :)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ribbedebie » May 24th, 2009, 5:48 am

BONE

No doubts about it. Bone rules so much I can't find the words to describe it - hiya, Rosengeist, I say you are awesome because I'm not the only Bone fan on here xD
I've read somewhere that Warner Brothers are already making a movie. YAY!

I want to see those Bone guys animatedddddd ;-;

Also for the heck of it, a new Garfield movie. A GOOD ONE plzthnks. Animated traditionally. Good voice actors and the likes.

EDIT: You don't know how happy I am, seeing more Bone fans C: I thought I was practically the only one on here
Last edited by ribbedebie on May 30th, 2009, 4:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by eddievalient » May 24th, 2009, 10:22 am

Ya know, I have a pretty good idea for a Garfield movie called "Garfield Come Home" in which Nermal gets fed up with being mailed to Abu Dhabi and turns the tables, mailing Garfield somewhere. I emailed a story outline to John Cawley, the producer of the "Garfield and Friends" tv series, to get some feedback and he told me I might have something. He said I should talk to Paws Inc. but I never worked up the courage. It's just as well. If I emailed them, I'd probably never get a response (or if I did it would be "don't call us, we'll call you").
The Official Lugofilm Ltd Youtube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/bartsimpson83

American_dog_2008

Post by American_dog_2008 » May 24th, 2009, 11:08 am

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Tyler_Legrand » May 24th, 2009, 7:53 pm

Like people said, Bone.

And don't make it 100% traditionally animated. Draw the Bones by hand, and shoot live action for everything else, a la Roger Rabbit. And CGI for the rest of the things that don't exist (e.g. Rat Men and Dragons).

Bones are relatively easy to draw and there are only three of them so I'd say it's possible in even today's CGI-obsessed media. And it's a fantasy world so you don't need to explain why.

That'd be awesome.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Darkblade » May 25th, 2009, 9:00 pm

OGB there was already a fritz film, in fact there's two of them! Anyways as for a comic books being as animated films I would have to go with these

Bone
Cavewoman

And How come nobody mentioned Sam and Max?

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Sunday » May 25th, 2009, 10:01 pm

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Darkblade » May 25th, 2009, 10:27 pm

Woah! I didnt know there was an animated series of Sam and max...Im so buying the DVD!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by eddievalient » May 26th, 2009, 1:10 am

There was a short (3 issues?) miniseries called WE3 that would make a wonderful animated feature. It'd be a hard sell, though, since it's kind of dark.
The Official Lugofilm Ltd Youtube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/bartsimpson83

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Trusted Vizier » May 27th, 2009, 4:50 pm

Since this is one comic I've never even heard of, would you mind telling me what it was about?

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Whippet Angel » May 27th, 2009, 8:41 pm

American_dog_2008 wrote:Marmaduke!
Yeah... Looks like it's happening..

Can't say I'm looking forward to it, as I've never been a fan of the badly-drawn comic strip.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by eddievalient » May 27th, 2009, 11:42 pm

Trusted Vizier wrote:Since this is one comic I've never even heard of, would you mind telling me what it was about?
It's about these lab animals who've been turned into living weapons by the government. They're going to be terminated to make way for a better version, but they escape and try to find their way home with the military in pursuit. The story was written by Grant Morrison and it's one of his better works.