AV Founder

Re: YouTube Goodness

Post by Ben » June 29th, 2022, 6:24 pm

Hey! I don’t remember THAT happening! :lol:

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by GeffreyDrogon » July 5th, 2022, 9:17 pm

Here is a video I found from a link to YouTube from the TV Tropes page for Fantastic Mr. Fox. It is Wes Anderson voicing the character he voiced in that film doing an acceptance speech for the National Film Board of Review for the Special Filmmaking Achievement Award in January 2010.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » July 6th, 2022, 3:52 am

That’s actually pretty cool. Nice find! :)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » July 6th, 2022, 1:14 pm

Is it too cliché to say it was "fantastic"? ;)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by GeffreyDrogon » July 6th, 2022, 7:34 pm

It isn't.

Stop motion is a criminally underrated animation medium.

Wes made a great animated film on the first try.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » July 20th, 2022, 10:15 am

Honest Trailer: Incredible Hulk vs. Thor…from 1988!!!!
(Actually “The Incredible Hulk Returns”)

This is weird because the HT itself is kind of “meh”….but the actual clips are HYSTERICAL. :lol:

https://youtu.be/z8BaRh88eA8
You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by EricJ » July 20th, 2022, 9:47 pm

Yes, it's THAT bad. "Trial of the Incredible Hulk", which tried to spin off Daredevil, is a little more respectful, and got Stan Lee involved, but it's no gloomy overpraised cult-Netflix series.

(I remember seeing Lee at an '89-'90 comic-con, where he joked to the crowd about dealing with the Bixby-Hulk spinoffs and his hopes for how New World Pictures would break the 90s Curse:
"Anyone see Incredible Hulk Returns?...How many got the faint impression that that wasn't exactly OUR Thor?" :lol: )

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » July 21st, 2022, 5:08 am

HT nail it again…the "can’t stop laughing" and "you’re just as Cajun as I am" (WTF!?) both had me chuckling. :)

Of the three later TV movies, I only own Death, which has its own issues, sure, but at least brings some kind of closure to the Bixby series for those that want it, and is much more "serious" than the first two. The Thor one was about as "real" as Adventures In Babysitting, and while the Daredevil one was "better", since Bixby himself directed and had more respect for a less campy tone, they were still both half-arsed attempts to shoehorn in additional Marvel characters in the otherwise non-Marvel universe of the original 70s show, hence their "are they or aren’t they?" "real" continuations of that series.

But, without those holdbacks, Death just works as one extra episode, and like it or not, it plays as basically that, returning to the core theme of the original series of Banner attempting to rid himself of his "curse" and ends in perhaps the only inevitable way he could finally do that, and is helped as such by Bixby again directing it in a much more sombre nature again befitting the original show. The only thing, for me, that lets it down (and only slightly) is that Jack Colvin didn’t return one last time to complete McGee's story with Banner, though who can really blame him after seeing the Thor one, and it’s also kind of cool that, for him, that story remains unresolved and open…

Thankfully, plans to introduce She-Hulk in Death, to continue yet another series, and to produce a truly dire-sounding fourth telefilm (Banner is resurrected by villains to create an army of bad Hulks) were obviously dropped when Bixby became ill and passed away in real life, which also adds a poignant note to the end of Death. While it naturally has its detractors, I think, and I feel Bixby would be pleased with how, it caps the original show as such, allowing that closure and for that iteration of his Hulk to end.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by EricJ » July 21st, 2022, 4:45 pm

Ben wrote:
July 21st, 2022, 5:08 am
Thankfully, plans to introduce She-Hulk in Death, to continue yet another series, and to produce a truly dire-sounding fourth telefilm (Banner is resurrected by villains to create an army of bad Hulks) were obviously dropped when Bixby became ill and passed away in real life,
There was even reportedly some test shooting for a She-Hulk movie with Brigitte Nielsen (and yes, THIS one was going to be "tongue-in-cheek" too... :roll: ), as I remember hearing about location-filming in Boston at the time, but that project eventually folded.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by GeffreyDrogon » July 31st, 2022, 10:03 pm

I've been in touch with a professional animator since April of this year. His name is Luca Fattore, who goes by Pixi-Gags on social media, and he's been creating tutorial videos for animation recently. He was a former animator at the long-defunct studio Amblimation, which he worked on films like Balto. He shows a strong understanding of canine anatomy, which has been helping me with drawing.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » August 1st, 2022, 3:20 am

Neat! Yep, you can totally see Balto in the face.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Randall » August 1st, 2022, 1:45 pm

1930s Lone Ranger cartoon! This was a surprise. It's on YT, too, but I think it looks better here:

https://archive.org/details/1930sLoneRangerCartoon

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by EricJ » August 1st, 2022, 3:15 pm

The words "Lone Ranger cartoon" raised my false hopes-- :(
Fortunately, Archive.org had a lost set of the original 1966 steampunk "Lone Ranger meets Wild Wild West" cartoon:
https://archive.org/details/LoneRangerC ... rackOfDoom

...I knew somebody had to. :mrgreen:
Last edited by EricJ on August 1st, 2022, 3:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Randall » August 1st, 2022, 3:16 pm

I was happy to see those there, too! but I had no prior knowledge of the earlier cartoon.

From IMDB:
The origins of this cartoon remain something of a mystery. It was a Pathegrams release on the 16mm home film market sometime in the 1930s, capitalizing on the popularity of the Lone Ranger character, who originated on radio in 1933.

Pathegrams was the home-film distribution label of the Pathé Exchange (later Pathé Film Corporation), operating from 1927 through the end of the 1930s. The label mainly issued abridged and rebranded footage from prior theatrical releases (comedy shorts, feature films, etc.), before Eugene W. Castle helped to revive the struggling brand in 1937 with a shift toward newsreels.

This animated Lone Ranger is likely the first film representation of the pop culture icon, predating the Republic Pictures serial The Lone Ranger (1938). Because of the cartoon's obscurity, speculation has arisen about the film's true origins, with some fans theorizing that the animation was repurposed from an earlier project unrelated to the character.