YouTube Goodness

General Discussions, Polls, Lists, Video Clips and Links
AV Founder
AV Founder

Re: YouTube Goodness

Post by Randall » June 18th, 2023, 10:18 am

Yep! So nice to finally have the chance to see this! I've been itching to see it ever since reading Animation by Filmation about 30 years ago.

I am currently reading Lou Scheimer's autobiography (where he was assisted by Andy Mangels, who also produced all those wonderful BCI docs), and it's inspired me to once again try to track down all the "missing pieces."

There's some nice stuff here on Fat Albert, including Filmation's first Fat Albert work, on the Weird Harold special:
https://www.youtube.com/@thefatalbertarchive5281
I've also found pilots that Filmation did, like Dick Digit, Marx Bros., and Sally Sargeant. It's amazing to see so much turn up.

Filmation has taken its hits over the years for its limited animation and use of stock footage, but they were a beloved part of my childhood, and they told stories with heart and good values. Gotta give them that. They also provided so many kids their first exposure to such properties as Tarzan, Lone Ranger, Zorro, and Flash Gordon (and all done quite well), undoubtedly extending the viability of those classic properties.

I also checked eBay, where a seller there now has sets for Filmation's Journey to the Centre of the Earth and The Hardy Boys, as well as Ruff and Reddy, Mighty Heroes, and more. Amazing.

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dacey » June 18th, 2023, 12:03 pm

I’ve been wanting to read Scheimer's book for years. Unfortunately, it’s out of print and extremely pricy now. :(
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift--that is why it's called the present."

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » June 18th, 2023, 12:41 pm

You can view it online for free!

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » June 18th, 2023, 12:54 pm

Got excited there for a moment, thinking it was a link to Animation By Filmation, which I never got. Luckily, I nabbed the Mangels book in paperback, and it’s well worth a read. :)

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Randall » June 18th, 2023, 2:43 pm

Animation by Filmation is a great reference book, quite different from the Scheimer/Mangels autobiography/studio history book. They each serve a purpose, and I'm very happy to have both. Animation by Filmation is available on Amazon now as a print-on-demand book.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » June 18th, 2023, 5:58 pm

Is that this one? At AmzUK it says it’s a paperback reprint of an OOP book? Some reviews say it’s "basic" or a "poor photocopy", so is this how it originally appeared, better to get the digital version, or am I okay just to stick with the Mangels-collab book? :)

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Randall » June 18th, 2023, 9:14 pm

Yeah, I'm sure it's just basically a bound photocopy. The original book was just black & white, with so-so reproduction, and I imagine the on-demand version will look a little worse.

As I recall, the older book has synopses, airdates and titles for each show, with a bit of production history. So, it's a nice resource, plus it has artwork the Scheimer book does not. The Scheimer book goes into way more history and anecdotes, but has almost none of the other information. If I could have only one, it would be the Scheimer, but I am glad I have both. I can send you photos of the earlier one if you like.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » June 19th, 2023, 3:33 am

Yeah, maybe at some point (on the photos), thanks. Like a dope, I didn’t include the link after saying "is it this one?", but this is what AmzUK has:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Animation-Film ... 1481225049

Sounds like I’m *probably* good to stick with what I have, but I’d be interested to see the older book. I’m sure this repro would be good enough for what I’d use it for (basically a resource like you say), so I’ll keep my eye on the price. For the quality a little lower price would be cool if it ever drops a bit. :)

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Randall » June 24th, 2023, 10:37 am

This is a crazy Filmation pilot! Can't believe it's actually on YT.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Randall » June 24th, 2023, 10:39 am

This one's not bad.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » June 24th, 2023, 12:57 pm

That Sally upload is missing the first minute. But yeah, pretty cool pilot! Catchy theme. Used Twilight Zone music too!

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » June 25th, 2023, 1:21 pm

I’ve seen that Dick Digit clip before someplace…maybe Droo posted it here a while back? Tis indeed bonkers!

Sally Sargent isn’t too far behind. Love that it co-stars Jack Nicholson and what Austin Powers would look like if he was a Filmation cartoon!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » June 25th, 2023, 1:46 pm

Nope, it was Gaastra. You had the same response. :lol:

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » June 25th, 2023, 6:24 pm

Shows I’m consistent! :lol:

To be fair, Droo did post some things there too, so my memory isn’t totally failing me (yet)! ;)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » June 28th, 2023, 7:43 pm

If Angels in the Outfield actually happened:

https://youtu.be/k71wde-FPUc
You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!