YouTube Goodness

General Discussions, Polls, Lists, Video Clips and Links
AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Re: YouTube Goodness

Post by EricJ » February 6th, 2021, 6:49 pm

Dacey wrote:
February 6th, 2021, 5:52 pm
Not sure if Doug Walker is necessarily the best go-to for a counter-argument these days...
He's been out of it for a while, but he did do a good job on the Wonder Woman movie. :lol:
Not to mention some of the silly "faith" epics that sneaked into empty theaters in '20 during the pandemic.

(I watch a lot of YT bad-culture critics, most of them just doing bored/hostile fan-paeans to MST3K's Mike Nelson, and either you love Walker's deliberately over-the-top imitation Weird Al Yankovic delivery, or you don't...)
Dacey wrote:
February 6th, 2021, 5:52 pm
But then again, I’m also not sure where are all of these rabid Tim Burton fans “bad mouthing the original” you speak of are...
Oh. You were never (I'm guessing) on Usenet in the 00's, when the movie was about to open, and TimBoiz were straining at their leashes. :shock:

Lots, and lots, and lots, and LOTS of strategically cherry-picked and mis-reported legends of how much Roald Dahl "hated" the Gene Wilder film (which, actually, was because his script had been changed, and Dahl had written his screenplay on the assumption Spike Milligan was going to get the part), and how that historically justified the earlier version to be "fixed" for posterity.
You would think Gene Wilder was an escaped Nazi war criminal, or that the original movie was a combination of the Care Bears Movie and Return to Oz, from the tone of the pro-Tim historical revisionism, and that was on nothing but a trailer and wishful thinking. :roll:

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dacey » February 6th, 2021, 7:36 pm

It all makes sense now.
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift--that is why it's called the present."

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » February 6th, 2021, 9:14 pm

:lol:

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by James » February 7th, 2021, 1:21 am

Larry King asks Danny Pudi (Community, DuckTales) what luxuries he can't live without:

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by EricJ » February 7th, 2021, 6:49 am

Dacey wrote:
February 6th, 2021, 7:36 pm
It all makes sense now.
(You don't know how much I have to water this down to fourth-grade reading levels, just to get past the Dacey reading-comprehension for the Short, Short Version of the Long, Long Story. Which is hard enough to do to begin with.
And then, caught between that and the obligatory Ben "We KNOW that already!", I'm having to take it for granted that you already do know most of this already, so we can get past the basic backstory info and jump directly into the gritty details.
And then, what that apparently doesn't work, that means going back over the original post afterwards with a checklist, and ticking off, okay, what didn't they know?: That Dahl wanted Spike for his movie? (check) That 00's fanboys were burning the Gene Wilder movie as sacrifice to Tim? (check) That Doug Walker did a hilarious Nostalgia Critic deconstruction of everything WW1984 had coming to it? (check) Anything else not listed? I apparently overlooked something, so let's work together on this. :roll:

Y'know, maybe if Dacey would just do one big quote of the post and highlight the parts that Confused His/Her Fragile Lil' Mind in bold or italics, it would save a lot of time and space in responses, instead of one generic all-encompassing eye-roll smiley?
It's starting to be less and less MY fault, by this point... )

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » February 7th, 2021, 12:29 pm

Dacey is a HE, you know that. Here's a reminder. Ring a bell now?

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by EricJ » February 7th, 2021, 7:01 pm

Then why do his net-stalking responses always sound like a Butthurt Fangirl? :lol:
(I mean...the Gwen icon isn't helping.)

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dacey » February 7th, 2021, 10:19 pm

You know, if Twitter can ban Trump...
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift--that is why it's called the present."

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » February 8th, 2021, 6:26 am

Well, we only need to find 00,001 votes. ;)

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by James » February 8th, 2021, 10:13 am

Ok, everyone got a dig in. Yay! We’re all so clever with our devilishly witty ripostes! :roll:

Now let’s drop this and get back to the topic at hand, which is *checks thread title* “YouTube Goodness”. Seriously, move on.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Farerb » February 8th, 2021, 12:30 pm

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by James » February 8th, 2021, 1:32 pm

Speaking of Belle, I just watched the Rifftrax version of the 1990 live action Disney Channel Aladdin. Was surprised to see Susan Egan in it. Here’s a taste if you’ve never heard of it: https://www.rifftrax.com/aladdin

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » February 8th, 2021, 1:57 pm

The whole "movie" is up on Youtube if anyone wants to see more. Way too cringey!

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » February 8th, 2021, 4:41 pm

Oh, my word, that is awful. Those 90s Disney Channel titles don’t stand up well at all thesedays. Even vintage material has a charm — even call it timeless — but whenever I come across these again (and I didn’t even know about this one!) they just seem so cheap, and not just from the smudgy video quality!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by EricJ » February 8th, 2021, 6:45 pm

I'm sentimental for the glory days of Made-For-80's-Cable Theater--and there was a lot of it--but this was unwatchable even for my standards.

It's no Tim Burton-directed "Shelley Duvall's Faerie Tale Theater" episode of Aladdin.
(Which, like the SDFTT version of "Little Mermaid", may have had a direct influence on the later 90's Disney version...The Sultan and his interest in new inventions, for one.)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_hDTxK4xfCA