YouTube Goodness

General Discussions, Polls, Lists, Video Clips and Links
AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Re: YouTube Goodness

Post by ShyViolet » January 14th, 2021, 11:51 pm

Always knew Emo Peter Parker was tougher than he seemed! :)

https://youtu.be/jrzx_CMmTkc
You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » January 15th, 2021, 4:44 am

Love the Resident Chump thing! Whatever you think of the man himself, that was a meticulously cut clip.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » January 15th, 2021, 12:59 pm

Yes, and better than an earlier attempt that had him mostly say "China" repeatedly.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » January 15th, 2021, 3:38 pm

To be fair, no one says Chynah like Chump does.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » January 15th, 2021, 4:34 pm

You got me there.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by EricJ » January 23rd, 2021, 1:29 pm

The new heir-apparent to Mark Hamill/Joker Trump-tweet videos?: "Capitol Insurrection: the Musical" videos. :lol:

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » February 4th, 2021, 5:17 pm

The openings of both Willy Wonka films. I prefer Burton's, (and not for its "darkness", but its wildly imaginative conception) but both are pretty cool! :)

You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » February 4th, 2021, 7:53 pm

Original for me. The music and simplicity have a certain charm.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » February 4th, 2021, 8:26 pm

“Pure Imagination” is certainly a beautiful song.

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dacey » February 4th, 2021, 9:23 pm

I not only think the Burton opening is better, I think the Burton film is better.

Come and get me. :wink:
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift--that is why it's called the present."

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » February 5th, 2021, 5:13 am

Oh, Dace... :(

And it was so nice having you on staff... ;)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » February 5th, 2021, 4:39 pm

Don't hear that very often! Had you seen the original before the remake?

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dacey » February 6th, 2021, 4:53 pm

I watched both of them the same year. Though it's possible I watched some of the original when I was very little? Maybe? I guess I don't have the full "nostalgia" factor for the original (which is wonderful, of course) that many bring to it when comparing the two, in that I didn't grow up with it.

And I do love both films, so I'm not trying to make it into a battle or anything like that. But in the Burton version, I feel like I'm entering another world, as though I'm exploring a magical chocolate factory that very few are allowed to enter. The Wilder version (and I'm not saying this as a bad thing) has pretty schlocky production values by comparison, and since it comes from the era of "somewhat budgeted" cinema from the 70s, it sort of looks more like a TV show than a movie. Money and effects limitations also prevented a proper ending for the naughty children that proves they aren't dead, and heck, I even think the Christopher Lee backstory for Wonka works in a pure Burton kind of way, and helps give the story a more satisfying emotional conclusion than the original (which ends abruptly by comparison).

It also helps when Grandpa Joe actually comes across as a 90+ year old, as opposed to a man in his mid-50s who's too lazy to bother to get up. Again, that's part of the charm of the original. But it is another factor that makes 2005 one "better" for me (and haters gonna hate, but I think Depp is fantastic).

There. I've made my defense. Do I get to keep my staff privileges now? ;)
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift--that is why it's called the present."

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by EricJ » February 6th, 2021, 5:47 pm

Burton's movie has created the movie term of "Chocolate Factory Syndrome"--
You know, when a remake claims it's going to be "closer to the original", this time, all the director's fanboys start defending their geek-anticipation by demonizing the icky original as bad and wrong and nothing like what a proper version of the source material "should" be, and the director ultimately just can't see the basic forest for the newly-replanted trees?
Suuure, Tim, that's what you said about Planet of the Apes...

Anyway, the comparisons have already been covered:

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dacey » February 6th, 2021, 5:52 pm

Not sure if Doug Walker is necessarily the best go-to for a counter-argument these days...

But then again, I’m also not sure where are all of these rabid Tim Burton fans “bad mouthing the original” you speak of are...