YouTube Goodness

General Discussions, Polls, Lists, Video Clips and Links
AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Re: YouTube Goodness

Post by EricJ » April 21st, 2022, 4:30 am

And also due to it being cringingly dated, and bizarrely, almost surreally unfunny.

(I remember watching a couple episodes in the 80's, and if they hadn't resurfaced during the early days of the Comedy Channel, it would've been like remembering something out of a bad dream... :shock: )

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » April 22nd, 2022, 7:27 am

Winkler Productions…nice.

I actually laughed a few times, too, though it’s a somewhat strange show in terms of the timing, though that’s mostly an inherent artefact of when it was made. The canned laughter cracked me up at how fake it sounded — I’ve kind of forgotten how bad that can sound — and did actually make me chuckle, so it works!

I also liked what they were trying to do here…it’s mostly the slower timing and aged production itself that dates it, but the script is actually pretty funny and knowing in dealing with the industry, and clearly written with love for the medium (as also evidenced by casting Messick, who’s great fun), which puts it slightly ahead of its time, especially considering Carrey's next brush with classic animation was ten years off.

The Duck himself isn’t far off what Uli Meyer would later do as well, and the title is a clear riff on the similarly named Disney show, swapping the mouse for the duck. I liked it! I’m not sure who it’s actually for — the insider business, er, business gets a little downbeat and indicative of what was going on at the time, which is probably also what I liked from that perspective.

Perhaps more of a comedy-drama, that would have probably worked better without a laughtrack, actually, this also reminded me of that other one-season show, Mel Brooks' The Nutt House, that would get a much different reception today. Is there a way to see this with the episodes in the intended order? I’m up for more! :)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by EricJ » April 23rd, 2022, 1:45 am

Ben wrote:
April 22nd, 2022, 7:27 am
I’m not sure who it’s actually for — the insider business, er, business gets a little downbeat and indicative of what was going on at the time, which is probably also what I liked from that perspective.
In the scenes where Carrey is deadpan suggesting the stories of the cartoons, knowing that Allan Burns was cashing in on his Mary Tyler Moore resume', I was getting distinct recycled flashbacks of Chuckles the Clown's eulogy.
("I remember, whenever Mr. Fe-Fi-Fo was hit with a giant carrot, by his arch-rival, Señor Kaboom...")
Dan wrote:
April 20th, 2022, 11:40 pm
and the late famed voice actor Don Messick in his only live-action role.
The only other episodes I remembered, besides the pilot, were the stories involving Messick's character, the cartoon's voice actor--
One about his trying to get his daughter into the voice business (but she just can't get the right "Argh!" for playing a girl barbarian), and one about his leaving the studio to try legitimate theater, but every time he plays Shakespeare, he lapses into his cartoon voice.

...Oh. The. Unbridled. Hilarity. :?

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » April 23rd, 2022, 5:01 am

Okay..so you didn’t like or plug into the show. Got it.

Dan, I, and plenty of people in the feedbacks did and enjoy it for what it is. Yeah, it’s dated as a production artefact of when it was made. But the scripts are solid and, as I said, as a comedy-drama and critique of the industry at that time, it’s actually an undiscovered gem, unneeded canned laughtrack aside.

Maybe not watch anymore and allow us to enjoy it?

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dan » April 23rd, 2022, 11:43 am

Ben wrote:
April 22nd, 2022, 7:27 am
Is there a way to see this with the episodes in the intended order? I’m up for more! :)
From what I've gathered, it's a little tough to put a definitive list of the intended order as, to date, four of the episodes are not properly marked with their production codes, so any proper ordering is generally seen as incomplete.

Having said that, here's a playlist I put together of what I've figured the intended order to be. Below it are the episode listings and what their production codes are (if available).

Playlist: https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PL4AQ ... 9kCO7kyHh_

1. Goodbye Buddy, Hello Skip
The first episode as previously posted.
Production Code 3601

2. Call Me Responsible
The proper follow-up to the first episode. The episode aired last.
Production Code 3602

3. The Duck Stops Here
Wally's Dippy Duck voice starting to escape him leads the others to consider hiring a new voice actor. Guest starring Frank Welker! The episode aired tenth.
Production Code 3603

4. The Annies
There's mishaps aplenty at the Annie Awards where a posthumous award is to be presented for Buddy. The episode aired third.
Production Code 3604

5. No Good Deed
Skip's attempts at being the nice guy against cut-throat decisions have negative consequences. The episode aired fourth.
Production Code 3605

6. Can We Talk?
Skip has to deal with Marty's act of plagiarism. The episode aired sixth.
Missing Production Code

7. Ordinary People, Too
Skip's help to fund Andrea's film project doesn't seem to go as appreciated as expected. The episode aired eighth.
Production Code 3607

8. Filling Buddy's Shoes
It's time someone is chosen to fill Buddy's shoes as showrunner. The episode aired second.
Production Code 3608

9. The Education of Mrs. Winkler (also known as The Education of S*h*e*r*e*e W*i*n*k*l*e*r)
Sheree decides to finally get her high school diploma. The episode aired seventh.
Missing Production Code

10. The Way We Weren't
In attending a reunion with her old navy pals, a desperate Angie asks Skip to be her date. The episode aired fifth.
Production Code 3610

11. It Didn't Happen One Night
The gang suspect Skip and Andrea have hooked up while Marty is not pleased his friend's new girlfriend is Sheree. The episode aired ninth.
Missing Production Code

12. The Children's Half-Hour
Children's Night at the Apollo bring out different reactions from the fathers as Brooks' son and Wally's daughter participate. The episode aired eleventh.
Production Code 3612

13. You Always Love the One You Hurt
The staff wonders if they should change the format of the show after a parents group one of the most violent kids' programs on TV. The episode aired twelfth.
Missing Production Code

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by droosan » April 24th, 2022, 8:19 am

This isn't the first music video set to "Uptown Funk" to appear in this thread ..

.. but it is the most 'Marvel-ous'. :mrgreen:

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dacey » April 24th, 2022, 10:18 pm

The Batman is great, by the way.
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift--that is why it's called the present."

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » April 25th, 2022, 4:53 am

This is the single greatest thing like this that we will see all year.

The actual movie can never live up to this now. Favorite bit, ironically given the awesome visuals, was when Neal Hefti's theme kicks in alongside Giacchino’s score at 1:09. Pure brilliance. :D

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » April 29th, 2022, 12:55 pm

Equally cool behind-the-scenes vid:

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by EricJ » April 30th, 2022, 2:02 am

Some old and new things just go perfectly naturally and seamlessly together--
Like, say, Iron Maiden and Flashdance:

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » April 30th, 2022, 3:52 am

People still doing mashups, eh? I’d forgotten about those! A couple of good ones there if you follow the link… :)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by EricJ » April 30th, 2022, 4:31 am

Yep, and still doing some good ones, if the Beverly Hills Cop/Megadeth one is any indication:

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by harri » May 17th, 2022, 12:36 pm

I find that Youtube is a very entertaining platform that offers a lot of possibilities and is a good way of divertissement. I enjoy it a lot, and I love listening to all sorts of music on Youtube. Until recently, the only problem for me until recently was that I could not always access Youtube because of the poor internet connection. I searched for a converter that would help me change files from Youtube to mp3, and I came across these ones. I think that they are very useful. If used properly, they can help in many situations and solve a lot of problems related to such matters.
Last edited by harri on May 20th, 2022, 6:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » May 17th, 2022, 1:45 pm

Can’t argue with the facts. ;)

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dacey » May 17th, 2022, 1:50 pm

Alright. I won't delete the obvious spam here since Ben's reply is too amusing.
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift--that is why it's called the present."