Will 2D animation die?

General Discussions, Polls, Lists, Video Clips and Links
AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » December 18th, 2006, 11:34 am

I guess everyone has their preference....:wink:
You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » December 20th, 2006, 12:57 am

Hey, have you guys read Jim Hill's article today?? :shock:

www.jimhillmedia.com

.....I have a lot of conflicting feelings about it.

1.) Not totally surprised, I read a prediction like this on Staloren's business of animation blog about a month back.

2.) It would be be wonderful, so wonderful for Disney to go back to 2-d.
:) :) :) :D

3.) I'm very disappointed about American Dog... :( I liked the whole "quirky" angle and the pictures looked amazing. Sanders thrown off his own movie is terrible. Heck, Pixar was mad because Disney was going to make TS 3 without John Lassetter, that's his movie, how can they do that? Oh I see, it's all right if Pixar does it but not anyone else?

4.) One thing I don't get: If they do want the Diz to go back to 2d, why in the world has Don Hahn taken a "sabbatical" or whatever euphimism they called it? Wouldn't he be the BEST person to help guide WDFA back to its former
2-D greatness?)

Well, that's my opinion. :wink: :roll:
Last edited by ShyViolet on December 21st, 2006, 3:55 am, edited 2 times in total.
You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by YCougar » December 20th, 2006, 2:54 am

I've read some of what that guy writes, and I'm more inclined to take a whole spoonful of salt with that story... until I see the sources he's getting it from.
[img]http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a388/ninja_otter/SKsignature.jpg[/img]

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » December 20th, 2006, 4:25 am

OK, but one thing we do know for sure:Chris Sanders is off of American Dog, a film he thought of and conceptualized. I just don't see how any good could possibly come from that.
:?

Also, I can't help wondering what Roy Disney's take on all this is. Yeah, that Roy Disney. Isn't he back at animation or Director Emeritus or something? Does he approve of what Pixar's doing? Is he involved at all in any of these issues? Does he even have any power anymore?

I can't help but think he sides with Pixar, even if it's at the expense of Disney. Why shouldn't he? He had no problems doing it three years ago. :roll: :?

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » December 20th, 2006, 6:23 am

Guess no-one read my post for Tuesday on Animated Views... :(

http://animated-views.com/2006/joe-barb ... sneys-dog/

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » December 20th, 2006, 6:42 am

Just read it--very astute and reflects my mixed feelings about this whole situation. :)

It would be great to see 2d princess film again but I'm anxious to see what a CGI epic/fairytale like Rupunzal would turn out to be like as well.

Plus, I hadn't even factored in the whole CG glut into their motives. That's a very good point. :)

Now that EVERYONE and his dog is doing CGI, (no pun intended) Pixar must be worried about their identity and how their animals/adventure-comedy outline is going to fare with all this competition. :?

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » December 21st, 2006, 3:41 am

I like what this one person said on AN:

Animagus

IE # 49
Member # 279

posted December 20, 2006 03:01 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
So, between ditching the in-house CGI unit, and shutting down "The Secret Lab" a few years ago, the Disney CGI unit has now gone through how many iterations?

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » January 14th, 2007, 4:45 am

This is a great insight into traditonal animation and how INSPIRATIONAL it can be:

http://www.animationnation.com/ubb/ulti ... 1;t=012014

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » January 16th, 2007, 8:11 pm

So true...

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

2d animation will not die

Post by supremecommander » January 17th, 2007, 12:43 am

2d Animation will not die as long as japanese anime lives!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » January 17th, 2007, 1:06 am

Here, here! :P

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » January 18th, 2007, 11:19 pm

2d Animation will not die as long as japanese anime lives!
On the one hand I do agree with this, but....

What everyone loves most about 2d animation is the emotional connection to the characters through their expressions and moods. The truth is that Anime expressions are often quite limited (let's face it) and the characters, stories, and plot motivations often greatly resemble each other. There isn't the eclectic choice of 100s of plots and themes that you'd see in other kinds of animation. (IMO) I mean take a Donald Duck cartoon and compare it to Tex Avery's work, or Bakshi, or Bluth, or Sylvian Chomet. You'd never in a million years mistake one of those for the other.
:roll:

Plus while Anime does have many, many fans in the US, Japan and worldwide, it isn't nearly as pervasive as other kinds of animation have been. It's still seen as (and pretty much is) a niche market and by and large doesn't have the "universal" appeal that Snow White and the Seven Dwarves or Cinderella might have. (Like I said I'm referring to Anime as a whole, not ALL Anime.) Of course there are very unique films by Miyazaki which I do believe are a great shot in the arm to 2d, but....they're a rare exception IMO.

The harsh truth is that while Anime certainly has artistic and entertainment value, most (average) people don't associate it with 2d animation any more than they would associate it with 3d animation. The main technique is limited facial expression and exaggerated, blurry, overly stylized movements. Some people are able to respond emotionally to this--but a great many more people--including animtion fans--are not.
That's the sad fact. :(

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » January 19th, 2007, 5:19 am

Yes.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » January 19th, 2007, 10:32 pm

You know, I never really thought about it that way, Vi. :P

In many ways, you are right. My main agreement, being that of the limited expression. Anime is, very pointy, (ie. Hair) and very-very different. Not in a bad way, but one that's all to familar.

I also appreciated your examples, as they are all too true. A Donald cartoon, is very different from your average Tex cartoon. I don't know, but Tex, looks like a cartoon, but is (a little) more mature in both animation and humor. While Donald, caters to everyone, but stays true to his wholesomeness.

----Now, lets look at some anime. Pokemon and Naruto come to mind. Aside from a few differences, they both look nearly identical.

To further the point, how about Kiki's Delivery Service? Yes, IMO, a great film. But, one that looks nearly identical to about a dozen other films. (Little Nemo, perhaps? :?)

Its also true, about the exagerated, and overstylized stuff. Common examples being, the wide mouth look, and color wooshing when someones about to attack something (you know, when you move really fast, and all you see is blur.)

Words, can not express how much sence you have made, Vi. :)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Rothlor » January 20th, 2007, 12:20 am

2D will never die. It is still to important. Just a newby thought.