Will 2D animation die?

General Discussions, Polls, Lists, Video Clips and Links
AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Sullivan » August 13th, 2006, 1:13 am

Given that Chicken Little was originally designed as a girl, and really all they did was change the clothes to make him a dude...

I'm saying no on the Stainton reference.

Anyway, I see more Mark Dindal in CL than Stainton.

Stainton's more like Runt.

(That's a joke. No need to start a rumor that Runt was based on David Stainton.)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » August 13th, 2006, 1:40 am

Why, does he like disco too? :P J/K
You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dacey » August 13th, 2006, 2:07 pm

Hey, Sull, I liked "Chicken Little". :D
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift--that is why it's called the present."

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Sullivan » August 13th, 2006, 6:31 pm

ShyViolet wrote:
Why, does he like disco too? :P J/K
Genetically tiny legs.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Sullivan » August 14th, 2006, 2:10 am

Wendy's Jane wrote:Hey, Sull, I liked "Chicken Little". :D

Thanks!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by avelinforl32 » August 16th, 2006, 5:35 pm

In my country,there's a 2D animated film it calls Una Pelicula de Huevos(A egg Movie)It's a mexican movie it's so awesome.That means that 2D movies lives

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » August 21st, 2006, 2:01 am

I can't help wondering: If CGI animation is as dominent as some people think, why have their been almost NO computer-animated TV series? (They tried Reboot more than ten years ago, when the technology was still pretty new--it was actually a year before Toy Story came out. But not a big success.)

What if Spongebob Squarepants was suddenly convertd to 3d? Would people still watch it? :roll: :P
You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by YCougar » August 21st, 2006, 3:49 am

Oh, there are several I know are on TV right now, off the top of my head. And about 99% of them are awful, so naturally you don't really hear about them.

I'd really like to see a well-done CGI TV series, though. Just to prove that they don't have to be bad.
[img]http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a388/ninja_otter/SKsignature.jpg[/img]

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Meg » August 21st, 2006, 10:01 am

I can't help wondering: If CGI animation is as dominent as some people think, why have their been almost NO computer-animated TV series?
I've been thinking the same thing...Like YCougar said, their are a good handful but most of them are awful. The only one that I can think of that’s popular is Jimmy Neutron.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » August 23rd, 2006, 3:33 pm

The only one that I can think of that’s popular is Jimmy Neutron.
Oh, that's right, I forgot about Jimmy. :P

I think the thing about TV animation is that it hits you where you live (literally!)

In some ways you are going to connect more to TV animation since it's every day and in the privacy of your own home. Which is why 3d just doesn't work as well on the small screen....CG is great and all, but the truth is there's still something remote and cold about it, something that can't replace 2d. In some ways TV animation comes under greater scrutiny, since it's constantly in your face.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Meg » August 23rd, 2006, 5:04 pm

Doesn't DW have some CG shows in the works?

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » August 23rd, 2006, 7:24 pm

There was Father Of The Pride, which was done pretty well, even if the humor was a little too risque.

They're doing some spin offs from their features. I think Over The Hedge may be going that route.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Meg » August 23rd, 2006, 7:44 pm

Madagscar and Shrek, too, I think.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » August 23rd, 2006, 11:55 pm

There was Father Of The Pride, which was done pretty well, even if the humor was a little too risque.

AHHHHH....how could I forget that one! :shock: :P

I was mostly thinking of kids' shows.

I wonder: Would FOTP have done better if it was 2d? (People still mostly associate CGI with kid's stuff--much more so than 2d cartoons, and the fact that the lions were so cute 'n cuddly probably didn't help much. :roll: )

Overall I think FOTP should never have gone on NBC--they would have been much better off on HBO or Showtime.
Last edited by ShyViolet on August 24th, 2006, 7:21 am, edited 2 times in total.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » August 24th, 2006, 7:12 am

Ralph Bakshi on Miracle Studios: (Yes, that Ralph Bakshi)

(from his website, via Animation Nation)
I'm a Wisconsin guy and I actually applied for that gig. They couldn't afford me. Which tells you a lot, cause I'm a REALLY cheap date.

The owner (a home builder with NO animation or entertainment background) ...and a HUGE Disney nut in his own eyes. (And arrogant enough to tell me how Ward, Frank and Ollie would feel about something when he has only read of them in books)

He thinks he is a brilliant story teller and a charsimatic front man, but he's truly neither. I saw a mock-up of his TV show in development and it was such a direct ripoff of the Wonderful World of Disney that the post industrial-military Disney legal complex will end up owning half of Wisconsin if he produces it as is.