Passion of the Christ

General Discussions, Polls, Lists, Video Clips and Links
AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dacey » March 6th, 2005, 1:10 pm

Mickey A wrote:Could you post a link to that story? To be honest with you, that story doesn't seem to make sense, since this cut will have less violence than the first version. I am not saying that you are wrong, but that the Washington Post is wrong.
Sorry, I don't have a link. But the article said that Mel Gibson was adding more blood and gore, instead of cutting stuff out. However, that story seems to be mistaken, as an official ad I saw for the film today noted that Mel Gibson had cut six minutes of violence "To spread his story to a wider audience".
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift--that is why it's called the present."

Banned
Banned

Post by Special_Ed » March 7th, 2005, 3:41 pm

Hollywood HATES Jesus and people who follow Him. Plain and simple.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Macaluso » March 7th, 2005, 5:16 pm

Well maybe Jesus should open a freakin' taco bell up there. I know that would make me happy.

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Josh » March 7th, 2005, 5:52 pm

Let's please keep comments like that out of the thread. If you don't agree with Ed, that's your choice. However, let's please express our viewpoints in a civilized, non-insulting manner. Thanks.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Macaluso » March 7th, 2005, 7:05 pm

it wasn't meant to agree or disagree with Ed O.o

Banned
Banned

Post by Special_Ed » March 7th, 2005, 11:47 pm

Mac must hate Jesus too (or else he wouldn‘t have joked about Him thinking it‘s cute.)

It’s not like Christians are silent, but when they are very vocal the left wing “open-minded”
liberals want to silence them. Why do people like you hate Christianity so much, Mac? It’s
just like the ongoing Supreme Court case trying to ban the Ten Commandments from public
display (even when private organizations put them there and even when this case has been
settled a few times now.) It’s these same people who claim they are offended by Christianity
and the morals and values it represents who embrace the teachings and values of other faith
in the name of “diversity”. It has to go both ways and this is why Passion of the Christ is so
hated in Hollywood.

One of the foreign films nominated this year was a bio pick on Hitler, (I wonder what it was
rated?) but Passion of the Christ got zilch. A few years ago the film about the gay Jesus was
nominated but Passion of the Christ was ignored. You can’t tell us that’s not a bias.
Hollywood predicted Mel would fail, they ridiculed and mocked him trying to make a
laughing stock out of him and Passion of the Christ was a huge success world wide. I still
meet people in the industry who hate Mel Gibson, Passion of the Christ, and claim he made
the racist issues up to make people go see it.

There is a bias in these ratings as well. Movie after movie has been listed here with PG-13
ratings that were granted out of content but Passion of the Christ was threatened with an
NC-17. We all know that was due to content when you have profanity and sexually explicit
material garnering PG and PG-13. Didn’t Schindler’s List only get a PG-13? Lost of the
Rings did too and look at all the death and gore in those war scenes. It’s all politics and bias.
This industry is blatantly biased against Christians and old fashioned values and Passion of
the Christ’s snubbing magnifies these facts for all the world to plainly see.

You know where this bias comes from? It comes out of fear. The same fear that makes
people be politically correct. It’s why you have members in this very forum post under
various Ids for fear of what others will think of them if it were known they really had these
views. The fear of Christianity is fear that the Christian way is the right way and people
don’t want to admit it out of pride, hatred, resentment, ignorance, denial, or they are just
having too good a time living the way they want to even consider a more moral path.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Macaluso » March 8th, 2005, 12:07 am

Special_Ed wrote:Mac must hate Jesus too (or else he wouldn‘t have joked about Him thinking it‘s cute.)

Why do people like you hate Christianity so much, Mac?.
whoa whoa WHOA

Why not stuff that big sack of stupid right now. Because seriously, do you REALIZE how moronic that sounds? I HATE chrisianity? AHAHAHAH i HATE jesus?

No no sir. First off, i don't HATE christianity. Granted, there are some things that I don't like about it, but basically I like the message christianity tries to send. Most of my family is christian, so don't even try to put words into my mouth, k ed.

Second of all, I think it's a really stupid stupid statement and yet another instant of putting words into my mouth, that I hate jesus because i make jokes about him. Bull. The way I believe, is that I don't think he cares. Infact, I bet Jesus is probably the coolest [explitive]ing dude you'd ever meet. If ANYONE can laught at himself or encourage that sort of thing, I think it would be him. "The test of a true religion is whether or not you can make a joke about it."

Don't put words in my mouth. It's a topic about passion of the christ, I made a joke about god having taco bells up in heaven.

Cause damn dude. Taco bell rocks, so it would only make sense that Jesus would have a taco bell up there.

Come on, seriously. If I wanted to HATE god I would tell you that I hate god.

Banned
Banned

Post by Special_Ed » March 8th, 2005, 1:41 am

I didn't put words in your mouth. You mocked Jesus. What does that tell us about you? End of story.

""The test of a true religion is whether or not you can make a joke about it.""

Who said that? If it's not in the Bible it's not so.

" It's a topic about passion of the christ, I made a joke about god having taco bells up in heaven. "

"god? god? god?! Don't you mean God?! (and I don't mean Rush Limbaugh....)

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by James » March 8th, 2005, 9:58 am

If we can't discuss this movie without preaching about one's personal beliefs or without insulting other members' religious beliefs then we won't discuss this movie at all.

And no discussion on my decision - just follow it! :)

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by James » March 8th, 2005, 10:12 am

Special_Ed wrote:"The test of a true religion is whether or not you can make a joke about it."

Who said that? If it's not in the Bible it's not so.
The actual quote is "It is the test of a good religion whether you can make a joke about it". It was said by G.K. Chesterton, a very quotable individual! A group about him, called The American Chesterton Society is online at http://www.chesterton.org/discover/who.html.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » March 8th, 2005, 10:19 am

Getting back ON TOPIC:

What I don't get is... this is going to be a cut version, with less violence? So, surely, that would give it a chance at being a PG-13 and being seen by more people?

That would certainly send up the gross and widen the appeal, no?

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by James » March 8th, 2005, 10:29 am

Ben wrote:Getting back ON TOPIC:

What I don't get is... this is going to be a cut version, with less violence? So, surely, that would give it a chance at being a PG-13 and being seen by more people?

That would certainly send up the gross and widen the appeal, no?
I assume that is why he is doing it. But for some reason either the MPAA still gave it an R rating, or Gibson decided not to deal with getting it re-rated. According to this movie ticket website (http://www.movietickets.com/movie_detai ... e_id=49223) The film will be released this Friday with "No Rating" which I guess leaves it up to each theatre to decide who will be admitted.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Macaluso » March 8th, 2005, 10:35 am

EDIT: Actually, nah ed. I'll save it for another time, because james or whoever.

Anyway, about the movie... meh either way. I like my movies to be entertaining, not show a guy getting tortured the whole time. I don't CARE what the message is, I don't CARE what this movie is about. I KNOW what it's about, but I don't CARE. Regardless of whether or not you're being shown what exactly Jesus went through (Who I agree is an extrodinary individual), you're still watching this guy get the every loving hell beat and whipped and stabbed out of him. I'd rather watch a movie like the king of egypt (er... is that what the movie's name was?), where it was more entertaining than... that.

And James. I'll have to look at that page when I get home.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » March 8th, 2005, 11:22 am

Not rated?

Seems odd to me. Anything ever been released like this before? So strange that a film, with REDUCED blood, guts and gore would not get a better rating, or one at all (especially since it's already been issued).

Interesting, too, that the distributor is Newmarket Films, and not Fox...

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Josh » March 8th, 2005, 12:51 pm

I am pretty sure that Gibson submitted the cut film to the MPAA, only to find out that it would still be rated R. Thus, he just decided to release it unrated.