American Pickers Boldly Go Where No Picker Has Gone Before

General Discussions, Polls, Lists, Video Clips and Links
GeorgeC

American Pickers Boldly Go Where No Picker Has Gone Before

Post by GeorgeC » February 13th, 2011, 11:57 am

Newest American Pickers episode ---

Monday, 9PM EST, Frank and Mike go to visit a celebrity house to do some picking...

Judging by the tone of the teaser for the episode, it sounds like they're on picking expedition to Captain Quirk's house. (Quirk is deliberate... IF you haven't seen recent award shows and interviews Shatner's done --- he's definitely eccentric to say the least. Some people say he's b@t-$%^& crazy! I've read that wasn't acting too far from reality in "Boston Legal." I'm not kidding......)

Yep, I think it's Shatner. Most likely, they're picking from his place in Kentucky. Shatner breeds racehorses in Kentucky. I can't recall the Pickers going to the West coast but they've been all through the Midwest and into the South.

They don't show his face in the teaser, but my god if that isn't his big head underneath a ball cap in the preview! :lol:

The sneak also has a nice Frank/Mike moment where Mike admits, "Franky, you know we're in over our heads!" :lol:

I'm not missing this episode... It's definitely being recorded to my DVD-Recorder hard drive...!

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by James » February 13th, 2011, 12:43 pm

DVR here confirms it is Shatner. It says he wants them to find unique items for his Kentucky home.

GeorgeC

Post by GeorgeC » February 13th, 2011, 2:30 pm

What is "DVR" beyond Digital Video Recording?

Did you get an advance screening from satellite feed?

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by James » February 13th, 2011, 3:34 pm

The digital video recorder has a guide that tells you what shows are set to record along with a description.

GeorgeC

Post by GeorgeC » February 15th, 2011, 12:44 am

Not every cable box has a recorder built into it...

Mine sure doesn't!

For my particular cable box, they didn't release the summary for this Monday's episode until Monday.

It was okay... interesting to see how they dealt with such a high-level client but definitely atypical for the guys.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by James » February 15th, 2011, 7:01 am

Not the kind of episode I want to see every week, but a fun little change up especially since it was Shatner. He sure doesn't seem over 80!

GeorgeC

Re: American Pickers Boldly Go Where No Picker Has Gone Before

Post by GeorgeC » February 15th, 2011, 4:43 pm

Shatner's..... a bit off the wall.

And I really don't think it's all an act, either. He's got a few loose screws in his thread. (If he didn't, I'd be concerned. I have yet to meet completely normal people.)
Not unusual for actors, yes, but people tend to forget that even icons can be eccentric.
He's not the most extreme eccentric I've seen, BUT he's definitely within the range.

I thought it was priceless when he said Mike's "cute" 'out of this world' line was the dumbest thing he'd heard that day. Remember, this is a guy who's been dealing with people telling him cute things like, "Beam me up, Scotty" and assorted Trek-gasms for over 40 years now.

Even Shat needs a LONG break from Trek once in a while!

I'm sure Shatner geniunely appreciated what the job the guys did for him (his wife certainly liked the new home decorations!) but at the end of the day they really should have canned all the Trek-isms and geek-spasms. They were dealing with Shatner, the off-the-clock guy as he usually is... Not professional to geek out even OUT of his sight (and on camera) like they did.

I'm a Trek fan, but I've never been to a Trek con let alone worn a costume or done any kind of makeup or bothered to learn Klingon. The extent of my fandom are home video releases of TOS and a Ship's toy model by Art Asylum of the NCC-1701-A Enterprise. That's it.

I worry about people who make their fandom into a lifestyle or won't leave the actors alone. You can acknowledge them with a friendly wave or more subtle nod of the head but they really deserve some privacy like anyone else...