Disney Renaissance 2/Disney Revival

General Discussions, Polls, Lists, Video Clips and Links
AV Founder
AV Founder

Re: Disney Renaissance 2/Disney Revival

Post by Ben » August 17th, 2020, 4:55 pm

OMG, I just *knew* all animated films secretly shared a whole animated cinematic universe! ;)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by EricJ » August 17th, 2020, 5:11 pm

droosan wrote:
August 17th, 2020, 10:47 am
.. but PatF is set in 1926, while CDD is set in 1939 (ish) .. so .. 'identical cousins', maybe..?
"Darla likes the minuets, while Charlotte likes jazz and hot beignets..." :lol:

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by droosan » August 17th, 2020, 7:02 pm

MrWisdomFace.gif
MrWisdomFace.gif (72.5 KiB) Viewed 6176 times
From Ruben Bolling's Super-Fun-Pak Comix

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » August 18th, 2020, 9:35 am

Reminds me of a strip that I used to draw back in school. You’d have three or five panels, but nothing would actually happen. :)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » August 19th, 2020, 4:30 pm

Charlotte reminds me of Blanche Devereaux from "The Golden Girls". Heck, she even calls her father Big Daddy, too! I'm a fan of Charlotte. She's a fun comic-relief character. I also appreciate that she's a true friend of Tiana, Disney could've very easily gone another direction!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » January 9th, 2022, 8:38 am

Fascinating Hollywood Reporter article (technically from two weeks ago) by Kim Masters, probably one of the the last entertainment journalists out there who actually has some idea of what’s going on in Hollywood. :? (Some language.)

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/busin ... 235066665/

Oh, here’s what she wrote about Disney:
There’s been a lot of lame-duck leadership discomfort to go around this year. Disney has been in transition, too, as Bob Iger heads ever so slowly toward the exit. The year was a continuation of tension between him and his supposedly handpicked successor as CEO, Bob Chapek, a company veteran who is still seen as an outsider, and whom Iger cannot bring himself to praise, however faintly. Chapek seemed to confirm all of Hollywood’s worst fears about him in July by getting the company sued by Scarlett Johansson, turning her into an industry martyr. (The suit settled, but the memory lingers.) And in November, Chapek said the company would plunge into gambling territory that Iger had deemed off-limits for Disney.
You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » January 9th, 2022, 11:01 am

I don’t see Lex Chapek being there too long. Four years tops.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by EricJ » January 16th, 2022, 2:02 am

Ben wrote:
January 9th, 2022, 11:01 am
I don’t see Lex Chapek being there too long. Four years tops.
Right now, the Parks fans are getting their torches and pitchforks ready over a dozen complaints, and a riot iss an ugly thing...
The studio complainers will just have to get in line.

Although, considering the grounds on which they finally got rid of Michael Eisner, it was Chicken Little losing the Pixar Wars that finally convinced the board.
For all the complaints that the Star Wars hotel and the new Parks pay-for-reservation system are getting, it may be Scarlett's lawsuit--followed by a likely one from Pixar over NOT getting premium--that finally get the board's attention. That one's more in their ballpark.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » January 16th, 2022, 4:24 am

(Post delete/hit submit my mistake)
Last edited by Daniel on January 16th, 2022, 4:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » January 16th, 2022, 4:31 am

All of the SW and Park things have been in the works for years, so Lex Chapek can’t be solely "accused" of the results…yet. And like many politicians, he has the cover of Covid to give him some free passes as they work through "the unprecedented situation"…

Pixar are unlikely to "sue". They are a wholly owned subsidiary of The Walt Disney Company, not an outside "for hire" entity like Scarlett, who sued based on a contract dispute. The Pixar people work the company, of which it alone can decide what happens with its products. Unhappy worker bees, sure, but no lawsuit here.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Farerb » January 16th, 2022, 6:26 am

They can stop working on Lightyear in order to protest.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » January 16th, 2022, 8:54 am

Except that Lightyear will be mostly done by now, with probably just post sound to be finished, if not already.

And that those that maybe did protest in this way could be fired or sidelined on future projects.

Bottom line is that they all work for Disney, which decides what gets made and how it is shown…

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » March 13th, 2022, 3:44 pm

Very interesting article in the Washington Post about how much DisneyWorld/Land tickets and fees have gone up in price. Is “the magic” actually gone??

https://www.washingtonpost.com/travel/2 ... ices-fees/
You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » March 13th, 2022, 6:17 pm

It’s Di$n£y greed, Vi. The company may have simply just become too huge and is only really just all about that bottom line now, from ticket prices to obscene D+ increases, somewhat understandable given the last two years, but also inexcusable given that it is the biggest entertainment company on the planet and could do better to have some good "benevolent press" rather that just getting bigger and more bloated…

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by droosan » March 13th, 2022, 9:24 pm

There was a story on National Public Radio recently in which it was calculated that the overall price for a northern-California family of four's roundtrip airfare to France, a stay for 1 week in a french hotel, and a weeklong pass to Disneyland Paris -- was actually less than the price for that same family's travel to Anaheim, and a comparable stay at Disneyland Hotel & weeklong passes to Disneyland/California Adventure. :!: