DisneyToon Studios Australia going strong (?)

General Discussions, Polls, Lists, Video Clips and Links
AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

DisneyToon Studios Australia going strong (?)

Post by Guardstone » May 26th, 2005, 8:26 am

2D animators wanted at DisneyToon

The studio is looking for 2D animators for feature and direct-to-video animation. Apparently, 2D is anything but dead for Disney Australia!
Slightly weird is their studio description:

DisneyToon Studios Australia (formerly Walt Disney Animation Australia) is unquestionably the highest quality 2D animation studio in the world.

Good for them, but it's just not right that Glendale and Florida aren't seen as that by the Disney corp... :|

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » May 26th, 2005, 1:18 pm

Well, it kind of is... now. :(

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Jens » May 26th, 2005, 2:11 pm

It just is...
[url=http://www.disneydatabase.com]The Disney Database[/url] - All the Disney Magic in 1 site!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Kinoo » May 26th, 2005, 2:37 pm

DisneyToon Studios Australia (formerly Walt Disney Animation Australia) is unquestionably the highest quality 2D animation studio in the world.
correction: Disney Toon Studios Australia is unquestionably the highest big esay profits for Disney in the world.

Moreover, GHIBLI IS the highest quality 2D studio in the world, no faitr comparison can be done with DTS.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Jens » May 26th, 2005, 4:57 pm

I had a feeling you would say that... I don't like the Ghibli movies, but since I don't know a lot about the studio Ghibli itself I will shut up now... I just think the DisneyToon Studios are the most developing 2D studio at this moment.
[url=http://www.disneydatabase.com]The Disney Database[/url] - All the Disney Magic in 1 site!

GeorgeC

Post by GeorgeC » May 27th, 2005, 2:44 am

The only reason why this studio still exists is because they can get people to work cheaper for Disney in Australia.

If they'd had the union and labor shortages the US had in the mid-1990s in feature animation, I doubt the Australian operation would still be around...

As it is, the average animator is the US is making approximately $10,000 less per year than 10 years ago.

Thank you VERY MUCH Disney Feature Animation AND DreamWorks' execs for screwing up feature animation in the US!

I'm sure that closing down the 2-D departments has set back animation in the US for 10 more years and possibly wiped out an entire generation of potentially excellent animators.