DisneyLand Gay Days

General Discussions, Polls, Lists, Video Clips and Links
AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

DisneyLand Gay Days

Post by NiceToKnovvYou » May 29th, 2005, 2:13 am

Hey, someone posted this in a disney LJ community of mine and I was wondering what everyone's opinion on it might be? The topic has sparked a pretty heated debate in the community. This is copy and pasted. I know it's not really animation news, but it's about the park and it kind of bugs me a little...

---

Just curious how many of you have seen this?

http://www.stopgaydays.com/

The Christian Action Network has a list of demands concerning Gay Days this year. As follows, with my personal responses in italics.

1. Disney should denounce Gay Days at Disney World and prevent organizers from using the Disney name to promote this event.

2. Disney should post signs during Gay Days warning unsuspecting parents.

3. Disney should arrest any Gay Days participant who engages in an unlawful display of public lewdness.

4. Disney should warn parents before making reservations at Disney-operated hotels during Gay Days.

5. Disney should reimburse parents of their hotel expenses and theme-park ticket prices who are offended during Gay Days at Walt Disney World.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Re: Stopgaydays.com

Post by James » May 29th, 2005, 2:43 am

1. Disney should denounce Gay Days at Disney World and prevent organizers from using the Disney name to promote this event.
Disney is not affiliated with and does not sponsor Gay Day.

from www.gayday.com/faq/default.asp:
"Does Disney sponsor Gay Day?
No. Disney is an "innocent victim" of circumstance. They managed to create an excellent vacation resort that appeals to almost everybody in the world, and gay and lesbian folks are no different. Because they get so much attention from all factions over Gay Day, Disney actually goes out of their way not to do things that are perceived as catering towards Gay Day."

The list of "demands" appears to be old and outdated. I found the same list in an article from 2003. Disney has apparently already required them to remove their name from the event. From the website above: "it's now generally referred to as "Gay Day Orlando" but originally the full name of the event had been "Gay and Lesbian Day at Walt Disney World".
2. Disney should post signs during Gay Days warning unsuspecting parents.

4. Disney should warn parents before making reservations at Disney-operated hotels during Gay Days.

5. Disney should reimburse parents of their hotel expenses and theme-park ticket prices who are offended during Gay Days at Walt Disney World.
I'm not sure Disney could legally do this. What if Disney found out I was coming in September. Should they be required to tell all the people that don't like me that I'm going to be there during that time? Imagine the logistics of that endeavor!
3. Disney should arrest any Gay Days participant who engages in an unlawful display of public lewdness.
Disney should arrest ANY guest who engages in unlawful activities!

Personal aside - I was at Disney World earlier this month. While on a tour of the park, a man without a shirt on walked past our group and the tour guide stopped the tour to confront him about it. I'm sure Disney does this all year round.

WARNING - let's not let this thread get off track. No bashing of people because of their sexual preference OR religious beliefs will be tolerated.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by James » May 29th, 2005, 2:48 am

BTW - I changed the title of this thread so it didn't seem like advertisement for another website.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » May 29th, 2005, 7:54 am

Isn't it fair that whoever shoudl be able to visit the parks whenever they like?

And isn't it fair that a minority group should be able to gather at the same time in order to enjoy a day out when they are surrounded by others rather than be open to predjudice?

What about if a couple of people celebrating close birthdays gathered both lots of their friends and families and all grouped together for a day out? No-one would suggest saying "No Birth-days" at WDW, would they?

Let people do their thing, for goodness sake!

GeorgeC

Post by GeorgeC » May 29th, 2005, 12:44 pm

If parents with small children don't want to be around the Gay Day activities, don't go during June! It's as simple as that.

Besides, summer time is the WORST time to go to the Disney Resorts. The parks are packed, it's sweltering hot, and the lines go around the block! There are other things to worry about with children besides seeing same-sex couples holding hands or lip-locking. We might as well be talking about inappropriate behavior from hetero-couples, too, for that matter because plenty of them do things that are considered lewd in public, too. (Not the hand-holding part... People gotta get over that!)

You're better going with family or friends during off-seasons when there aren't so many people, period.

There's really nothing Disney can do about Gay Days or any other event groups of people don't like. Of course, if anybody does anything lewd in public they should be arrested. That goes without saying -- there are no excuses for that.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by James » May 29th, 2005, 1:25 pm

If parents with small children don't want to be around the Gay Day activities, don't go during June! It's as simple as that.
I will say that they should not have it in June. Parents with kids have less leeway about when they can come to the park. And since, no offense, most people coming to Gay Days are probably adults with no children, they should be able to move it out of summer vacation easily. And it would seem to make more sense for them to have it during the school year. Two pluses: 1) it will be less crowded for them and 2) there will be less parents with kids who might be apt to complain.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by PatrickvD » May 29th, 2005, 2:26 pm

Parents with kids should indeed be warned. I mean, what if they catch that awful disease!!?!?!?!? :lol: For God's sake why can't we all just love and accept eachother. Should gays be arrested? for what? for loving eachother?

oh and why should Disney warn parents? Especially now park attendance is finally gowing up again! They would have to be out of their minds.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Macaluso » May 29th, 2005, 3:10 pm

I don't want to catch the aids :(

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by James » May 29th, 2005, 7:06 pm

Moved from "News Submissions" to "General Discussions".

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by bshum » June 14th, 2005, 11:12 am

quote "I don't want to catch the aids :( "

maybe you should get your facts straight before you say stuff like this....it could be hurtful to others.

you can't catch aids from just being around people. and it's not only gay people that have aids. you can get them from anybody!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Macaluso » June 14th, 2005, 12:59 pm

ugh. IT WAS SARCASM.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » June 14th, 2005, 3:35 pm

People should just do what they want--it's their lives, and it's not like Disney sponsers Gay Day anyway. As long as they behave in a decent fashion, I don't see the problem.

I think if ANY COUPLE--gay or straight--starts groping each other or simulating sexual behavior in Disney world (in full public view)--especially in front of kids there, they should be given a warning. If they ignore it, they should be asked to leave the premises.

It's like when Eisner made same-sex dancing legal in those clubs back in the 80's. People are people, just let them do their thing.
You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by James » June 14th, 2005, 3:40 pm

bshum wrote:quote "I don't want to catch the aids :( "

maybe you should get your facts straight before you say stuff like this....it could be hurtful to others.

you can't catch aids from just being around people. and it's not only gay people that have aids. you can get them from anybody!
Welcome to the forum!

As most here already know, Mac has a... well, let's call it an irreverent sense of humor! He is an equal opportunity offender! Case in point - search this forum for "Jesus and Taco Bell"!

If you're a fan of animation, and didn't just register to respond to the one post, we'll look forward to seeing you around!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Macaluso » June 14th, 2005, 4:17 pm

James wrote: As most here already know, Mac has a... well, let's call it an irreverent sense of humor! He is an equal opportunity offender! Case in point - search this forum for "Jesus and Taco Bell"!
Dude, I kicked ass that day.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Meg » June 14th, 2005, 4:48 pm

I remember reading that. The bad thing about the web is that you can't use a tone of voice. Smilies make it easier to distinguish sarcasim from a more serious post, though. :wink: