Favorite Menken/Ashman musical score?

General Discussions, Polls, Lists, Video Clips and Links

What is your favorite musical score from the team of Alan Menken and Howard Ashman?

Poll ended at July 6th, 2005, 6:47 pm

The Little Mermaid
11%
Beauty and the Beast
56%
Aladdin
33%

Total votes: 9

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » January 3rd, 2007, 7:43 pm

I thought he did a good (maybe not great) job, but when I saw the film here and Richard started singing, everyone started laughing! :P It was just because it was so weird to see him sing. :?
You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by PatrickvD » January 4th, 2007, 12:50 pm

ShyViolet wrote:I thought he did a good (maybe not great) job, but when I saw the film here and Richard started singing, everyone started laughing! :P It was just because it was so weird to see him sing. :?
yeah it wasn't bad. it was weird.

Either way, Chicago, together with Moulin Rouge started this musical revival, so it's all good to me.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » January 27th, 2007, 4:19 pm

the *GORGEOUS* musical theatre stage score for Ragtime was by Lynn Ahrens (who did lyrics with Alan Menken for Christmas Carol) and Stephen Flaherty who are one of my current fave stage teams. Ragtimne is one of the best stage experiences I've ever had.

I never saw the show :( But I had the score/songs for a LONG time, LOVED them, still love them.

I'm also kind of a Broadway Freak: I've seen Les Mis, Crazy For You, Guys and Dolls, Miss Saigon, On the Town, and Proof with Mary-Louise Parker (not a musical though) and Conversations with My Father with Judd Hirsch. (that was years ago, though.) Plus I saw Inherit the Wind starring Tony Randall. :wink:

I also had the Titanic musical score for a long time and loved it too. :)

I love plays and the Theater in general. :wink:
Last edited by ShyViolet on February 2nd, 2007, 3:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by PatrickvD » January 31st, 2007, 10:31 am

Has anyone heard the new Mermaid songs? They're just demos but still. They're great. And downloadable somewhere on the web I'll look up the link.

Anyway, Menken did a great job adding these into the story