Superman

General Discussions, Polls, Lists, Video Clips and Links
GeorgeC

Superman

Post by GeorgeC » March 6th, 2005, 3:19 am

From CartoonBrew.com comes a link to the publisher of this book, University Press of Kentucky

-- http://www.kentuckypress.com/viewbook.c ... 42&ID=1210

Also, a link to Amazon.com's page on this book where it's 34% off!
-- http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/ ... 09-6454565

The Amazon price sounds close to reasonable for a book that's only 184 pages... Frankly, even a hardcover priced $27 is a bit much for running only about 200 pages!

Jerry Beck says he's seen a manuscript and thinks it will start NEW controversies about Fleischer Studios.

I wonder if the book will address the rifts within the Fleischer family that contributed to the Studios' downfall? There's a gothic family tragedy in there, too, folks. It's as least as bad as any of the sleazy maneuvering Paramount used to steal the Studios from the Fleischer family...

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » March 6th, 2005, 10:01 am

Interesting book!

Just put it on my wish list and will probably order this nearer the time - the price seemed good to me, but hopefully it won't cost too much to ship over to the UK.

GeorgeC

The Adventures of Superman gets DVD release Oct. 18th

Post by GeorgeC » June 30th, 2005, 12:56 am

The classic 1950s TV series, The Adventures of Superman starring George Reeves, is finally getting a DVD release on October 18th.

The 5-disc set will contain all of the first season's episodes in their original B & W format. It retails for $39.98

More details at http://www.comicscontinuum.com/stories/ ... /index.htm

GeorgeC

Post by GeorgeC » June 30th, 2005, 12:57 am

It goes without saying more animated Superman releases can't be that far behind -- including the next few volumes of the 1990s animated series as well as the release of THE finest copies of the Fleischer/Famous Studios Superman shorts from the film vaults of Warner Bros.

The following year will be a very good for Superman fans on DVD!

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » June 30th, 2005, 11:49 am

I thought the Image disc of the Fleischer/Famous Superman films was as good as it got?

Looking forward to Reeves' Superman show - I had 'em all on VHS at one point, though I just picked up the LD of "Mole Men" - duh!

GeorgeC

Post by GeorgeC » June 30th, 2005, 3:11 pm

The Image Bosko/Golden Anniversary disc is as good as it gets for public domain copies of the 1940s Superman theatrical shorts.

Warners has the finest copies of the shorts in existence. They just haven't been released on video outside of the episodes of The Adventures of Superman released on VHS and LD years back. Several of those shorts were on those compilations as extras.

My gut feeling is that WB WILL release them as a separate collection in the near future...

GeorgeC

Superman II: The Director's Cut [UPDATED]

Post by GeorgeC » September 29th, 2005, 12:54 am

http://www.thedigitalbits.com/rumormill.html#0928

WB is close to finalizing a deal to release the original, unused, Donner-shot footage from Superman II.

IF this footage can be obtained from Salkind Productions, it would enable Richard Donner to construct a NEW version of Superman II closer to the vision he had of the film before he was unceremoniously yanked from filming back in 1979.

Superman II was pretty much filmed back-to-back with Superman: The Movie and over half the film had been shot before Donner with replaced with Richard Lester. According to recent comments by Margot Kidder at a a comic convention in Canada, the original Donner version as scripted was far superior to what ended up in theaters in 1980 (UK premiere) and 1981 (North American premiere).

WB's plans are to introduce new special editions of Superman II, III, and IV to coincide with the release of Superman Returns next year.
Last edited by GeorgeC on January 28th, 2006, 7:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » September 29th, 2005, 8:02 am

Now, normally when I open up the threads and look at the topics posted, I work my way down.

But when I saw this, I came directly to it - that's FANTASTIC news, which has been in the making for years.

I've seen the "alternate" versions of Supes I (which adds a lot but drags out the pacing) and II, and II is a much better film with the more serious Donner footage slpliced in - a full cut would be AMAZING.

Honestly, I am more excited about this than seeing the new film now.

BRILLIANT! :) :) :)

GeorgeC

Post by GeorgeC » October 31st, 2005, 3:45 pm

UPDATE!

IT'S OFFICIAL! :shock: :)

"DONNER WORKING ON SUPERMAN II DVD
Superman Homepage reports that, according to DreamWatch magazine, Richard Donner has been hired to work on a Special Edition DVD of Superman II. Donner was removed from the film after having already directed most scenes.
-- SUPERHEROHYPE.COM"

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » October 31st, 2005, 10:00 pm

OH. MY. GOD.

I am actually jumping up and joy with joy. :)

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Randall » October 31st, 2005, 11:06 pm

Incredible.

Does this mean that Hell is freezing over???

And... Yippee!!!!!!!

GeorgeC

Post by GeorgeC » November 1st, 2005, 2:32 am

Ben wrote:OH. MY. GOD.

I am actually jumping up and joy with joy. :)

In a Schwarzenegger voice:

You're jumping up and down like a little girly-man! :lol:

GeorgeC

Post by GeorgeC » November 1st, 2005, 2:34 am

RandCanuck wrote:Incredible.

Does this mean that Hell is freezing over???

And... Yippee!!!!!!!

Nah,

Hell freeze over for DC fans when Sander Schwartz and the other nincompoops at Cartoon Network decided "The Batman" was a better show than anything Bruce Timm has worked on...

The Superman II Director's Cut DVD is very good news!

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » November 1st, 2005, 2:11 pm

GeorgeC wrote:In a Schwarzenegger voice:

You're jumping up and down like a little girly-man! :lol:

Yeah, and?? I don't mind admitting that on news like this.

I am seriously stoked up for this one! :)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » November 1st, 2005, 9:04 pm

Is the Superman cartoon (not Justice League, but the original one from the '90's) any good??
You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!