Superman

General Discussions, Polls, Lists, Video Clips and Links
AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Randall » March 25th, 2010, 8:12 pm

I love the S&J Sandman book. Some hated the cheap paper and less-than-archive quality reproduction, but I liked it fine--- like an oversized old-fashioned digest. Sometimes the Archives look too glossy.

I've pretty much stopped buying DC and Marvel now. My main brand now is the Muppet line from Boom!

AV Team
AV Team

Re: Superman

Post by Dan » October 2nd, 2018, 3:14 am

Decided to resurrect a REALLY old thread as I've been kinda on a Superman kick this year.

It is his 80th anniversary, after all. 8)

Hell, I've picked up a buncha hardcovers recently:
- Golden Age Omnibus Vol. 1
- The Last Son
- Escape From Bizarro World
- True Brit
- Secret Origin

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Randall » October 2nd, 2018, 9:46 pm

I have heard that True Brit is awful. Let me know if you find it otherwise.

Good picks, otherwise.

Obviously, in case you hadn't noticed yet, you are in the company of some Superman lovers. :)

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » October 3rd, 2018, 4:52 pm

That doesn’t sound right, Rand. ;)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ohmahaaha » October 3rd, 2018, 5:08 pm

Have you guys gotten any of the Atomic Age and Silver Age Sunday Pages Superman books? If so, how are they?

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dan » October 3rd, 2018, 11:01 pm

Would really call it a Silver Age book per se, but as Whatever Happened to the Man of Tomorrow was designed to be closing the chapter on Silver Age Superman, I venture that's the closest I've gotten at the moment.

Hope you saw on the front, Rand. Fathom Events gonna do theatrical runs of Superman: The Movie to celebrate the film's 40th (as well as the character's 80th). Fathom Events has three nights planned for the film: Nov. 25, Nov. 27, and Dec. 3. They list the run time at 2 hr 35 min, so that sounds like the 2000 extended version.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Randall » October 3rd, 2018, 11:51 pm

ohmahaaha wrote:Have you guys gotten any of the Atomic Age and Silver Age Sunday Pages Superman books? If so, how are they?
I have two Atomic Age Sundays volumes, but I haven't read them yet. I love the Wayne Boring art, though. The stories look to be of the silly fantasy variety. Overall, for me, this was not Superman's best era (aside from the art), but I look forward to reading the stories all the same. I suspect that the Silver Age material is similar.

I love the Golden Age Superman stuff, so I can't believe I don't have those IDW volumes yet (I do have what Kitchen Sink Press put out years ago, which was the very first few years of Superman newspaper strips--- great stuff). Too many fine books, too little budget (or time to read them all)!

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Randall » October 3rd, 2018, 11:54 pm

Dan wrote:Fathom Events gonna do theatrical runs of Superman: The Movie to celebrate the film's 40th (as well as the character's 80th). Fathom Events has three nights planned for the film: Nov. 25, Nov. 27, and Dec. 3. They list the run time at 2 hr 35 min, so that sounds like the 2000 extended version.
These retrospective showings are a great idea for those that don't collect the films or have big screens at home, but my home theatre is well outfitted for the task (though naturally not as good, of course, as a good "true" theatre with a huge screen--- but close enough). I actually plan on doing a showing of the TV cut with friends just before Christmas.

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dan » June 20th, 2019, 12:54 am

So one of the books that came out this week is the first issue of Year One by Frank Miller and John Romita Jr.

Curious to know if you've had any interest in checking this one out, Rand.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Randall » June 20th, 2019, 8:10 pm

Yes, but I figure on waiting for the hardcover. That would go with all my other HCs of Superman origin stories of the last decade or two (Birthright, Secret Origin, American Alien... (I'm trying to get away from the monthly floppies, generally, though this is in prestige format, which would still be nice.) Or, if reviews are bad, I'll go digital on it when there's a Comixology sale. ;)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » February 22nd, 2023, 1:03 pm

Superman I-IV getting the 4K treatment in April:

Steelbook:

ImageImage
ImageImage

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » February 22nd, 2023, 6:41 pm

Kinda random, but the great “Look! Up in the Sky!” documentary from 2006 is now on YouTube in full. (And totally legit from DC.)

https://youtu.be/M6fhyw4alrw

I know it’s from a long time ago, but if you haven’t seen it, it’s an awesome way to learn some Superman history!! :)
You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Randall » February 22nd, 2023, 9:56 pm

I love that we are finally getting original artwork on those Steelbooks. I am not generally doing 4K upgrades, but will have to for this. STM is still my favourite film.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » February 23rd, 2023, 3:31 am

I have orders in at three different places to make sure I get this. I’ll cancel nearer the time, but might end up getting two, just in case.

I’m intrigued as to what’s in the "standard" box, which apparently are Amaray cases but the artwork hasn’t been shared yet. If it’s anything like the singles that are going out internationally this also points to the steelbooks being the only way to go!

Apart from missing on-disc content (of which there seems to be quite a bit, but that’s kind of not the point of this set), the only thing that would have been cool, to match the upside down double sided aspect of II would have been alternate poster artwork for the other films. Movie, III and IV all had other good posters (II had that other cool one too, but it would be tough to try and fit that in there). At least the S of the Donner Cut kind of matches up to the S on the other backs,

Going by that inside pic of the villains, though, anyone else wishing that we'd get their rendition of Bohemian Rhapsody…!? :lol:

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by EricJ » February 23rd, 2023, 4:09 am

Ben wrote:
February 23rd, 2023, 3:31 am
Going by that inside pic of the villains, though, anyone else wishing that we'd get their rendition of Bohemian Rhapsody…!? :lol:
Always thought their being trapped in the Phantom Zone looked like a 70s album cover flying through space...