DreamWorks Discussion

General Discussions, Polls, Lists, Video Clips and Links
AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by eddievalient » February 7th, 2009, 8:59 pm

I think Dreamworks Animation peaked with Shrek 2. It really felt like the planets aligned on that one and gave us a practically perfect movie (surprising for a sequel) and they haven't been able to catch lightning in a bottle a second time since (although Over The Hedge was pretty good). I was even a little disappointed with Kung Fu Panda, despite being a Jack Black fan. I felt the final battle in that one was too easy and should have been more epic, given the scope of the story. However, as I said, I'm looking forward to Monsters vs Aliens and I hope they really make the most of the 3D format.
The Official Lugofilm Ltd Youtube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/bartsimpson83

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Neal » February 7th, 2009, 9:26 pm

Eagle Eye - that's not a franchise but it's still a DW film. I just reviewed it for the newspaper.

Anyways, wow, if one day DWA did end up at Disney - well - the world is a very strange place, indeed!
Feature Animation Favorites:
  • Tekkonkinkreet, Watership Down, A Town Called Panic, Howl's Moving Castle, Rio 2096, Mind Game, Fantastic Planet

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Meg » February 7th, 2009, 10:31 pm

I'm curious as to whether or not your review of Eagle Eye was positive or not, Neal, as I personally hated the film! :)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Neal » February 7th, 2009, 10:34 pm

I'll tell you later.
Last edited by Neal on February 9th, 2009, 4:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
  • Tekkonkinkreet, Watership Down, A Town Called Panic, Howl's Moving Castle, Rio 2096, Mind Game, Fantastic Planet

American_dog_2008

Post by American_dog_2008 » February 8th, 2009, 6:52 am

Sounds interesting!

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » February 8th, 2009, 9:25 am

Okay...can we keep this on topic. Since we were talking DreamWorks franchises, I don't even know why Eagle Eye was brought up, other than to plug Neal's link.

One could just start mentioning any number of DWs titles for the heck of it: Mouse Hunt, Paulie, AI, Minority Report, The Tuxedo...none of those were franchise films either.

Honestly, what was the point of raising Eagle Eye!? :? :roll:

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Rodney » February 9th, 2009, 3:13 pm

Yeah, that's what I mean about Dreamworks. It's not like a distribution deal comes with tons of great properties. I guess this is more about getting associated with high-profile, award-winning, films.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » February 9th, 2009, 3:32 pm

...and top-drawer filmmakers. :)

Disney has been after the Spielberg Factory since the 1980s, when Eisner and Katzenberg thought they could bring him over after leaving Paramount. Spielberg stuck with Universal and launched Amblin Entertainment, which they then pursued through various film deals (the biggest being Roger Rabbit, of course).

Then the whole Arachnophobia thing happened and they split up from future co-pros. Spielberg started DreamWorks and it looked like that was it. Now that Eisner has gone, it's a whole different game, of course, but Disney has always seen itself as a good fit and now it looks like it could yet happen...

<B>UPDATE: It Is Done...</B>
The Hollywood Reporter wrote:Disney finalizes DreamWorks deal
Will handle distribution, marketing for six pics a year
By Carl DiOrio

DreamWorks' Disney deal is done.

Disney said Monday that the studio has agreed to enter into an exclusive "long-term distribution arrangement" with DreamWorks.

"Under the terms of this arrangement, Disney will handle distribution and marketing for approximately six DreamWorks films each year," the studios said in a joint release. "The first DreamWorks motion picture to be released under the Touchstone Pictures banner is scheduled to hit theaters in 2010."

The deal follows Friday's surprise announcement that Universal and DreamWorks had been unable to finalize their previously announced distribution arrangement. DreamWorks brass bolted Paramount in October to re-establish DreamWorks as a privately operated company.

Reliance Big Entertainment has pledged $325 million to the venture, and JPMorgan Securities is leading a loan syndication that targets raising another $325 million by March 31.

"We're both thrilled and honored to be marketing and distributing all of DreamWorks' signature upcoming live-action motion pictures, and to begin a new relationship with such respected colleagues as Steven, Stacey and their creative team at DreamWorks," Walt Disney Studios chairman Dick Cook said. "Steven has made some of the biggest and most loved films of all-time, and continues to be one of the great icons of our industry. Stacey has an impeccable reputation and a phenomenal track record for making a wide variety of quality films."

Disney CEO Robert Iger hailed Spielberg's "artistic vision and commitment to quality filmmaking."

DreamWorks co-founder Steven Spielberg called Disney "the birthplace of imagination."

And DreamWorks chief Stacey Snider said the Burbank studio "represents the highest standard of quality in our industry."
Interesting that this deal sees the return of the Touchstone banner to theater marquees. That all kind of makes sense.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Neal » February 9th, 2009, 4:41 pm

Rodney wrote:Off the top of your head, can anyone think of a Dreamworks franchise? (not animated).
That's why I brought it up. Then, when I was asked my thoughts, it seemed easiest just to post a link to the review.

I myself acknowledged it wasn't a franchise:
Me wrote:Eagle Eye - that's not a franchise but it's still a DW film.
I guess I really don't know their franchises, which may have been Rodney's point.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » February 9th, 2009, 6:00 pm

The question: anyone think of a DreamWorks franchise?

Your answer: Eagle Eye, but it's not a franchise.

Mr reply: so why bring up Eagle Eye?

Basically your thoughts were totally redundant since the film shouldn't have been brought into the conversation at all. Apart from an opportunity to plug your link.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Neal » February 9th, 2009, 6:14 pm

Since that wasn't why, I removed the link before you even made the above post.

Think what you want but no, that had nothing to do with it. It's not even my own website, or a place I'd make profit from. Why would I 'plug it'.

The only reason Eagle Eye came to mind was because of the review, so I made mention of that.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » February 10th, 2009, 3:38 pm

Y'know...I think you're screwing with me now. You just contradicted yourself: "I removed the link because you thought I only posted it because of my review, but the only reason Eagle Eye came to mind was because of the review".

Wha...?

Anyway...link or no link...I just <I>don't get</I> the point, any point at all, to answering a question "can anyone think of a DreamWorks franchise" with the answer "Eagle Eye, but that's not a franchise". I just don't see it. I just don't see that point. We could all just start naming <I>any</I> DreamWorks film and say "X, but it's not a franchise". Right? Or am I nuts? Because I'm missing something here...

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Neal » February 10th, 2009, 5:00 pm

I'm saying it wasn't shameless self-promotion. So I removed the link. I'm dropping this pointless argument now.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by droosan » February 10th, 2009, 5:14 pm

I'd only heard radio promos for Eagle Eye several weeks before seeing any other promotional material like posters, internet ads, etc.

Thanks to the radio announcer's (mis)pronunciation, for those few weeks I thought the title of the film was E. Coli ..

I thought maybe it was gonna be about some sort of pandemic/outbreak .. :lol:

-------

on topic: kinda cool to see the Touchstone label revived for this! :)

I'm wondering if A Princess of Mars will be a Touchstone Picture .. :idea:

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » February 10th, 2009, 5:59 pm

Now <I>apparently</I>, and this is somewhat news to me too...but we got an email in saying that the Touchstone banner <I>hadn't</I> ever been retired.

Although I personally haven't seen it on a Mouse House release in a year or so at least, the label is going to be presenting at least three films this year: Confessions Of A Shopaholic, The Proposal and When In Rome.

So...yay! Touchstone's not dead! I've always liked the Touchstone films, and think the idea of an "adult" outlet for Disney was always one of the better ideas of the Ron Miller regime. To me, it suggested that he was just on the cusp of getting ready to lead Disney in a new direction, especially with Splash and all, before the triumphant three came on in 1984.

It'll be nice to know that Touchstone will still have a place, even if their films have been made elsewhere, although one <I>could</I> make an argument that DreamWorks' own films are very much in the Touchstone mold to begin with.