DreamWorks Discussion

General Discussions, Polls, Lists, Video Clips and Links
AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » March 1st, 2006, 7:58 pm

That would be really cool. I really dislike all the fluff with been getting in the behind-the-scenes field.
What would really be cool is if they documented the making of the films WHILE THEY WERE BEING MADE. Show us the whole process, how certain scenes made it to film, how the ideas originated, etc...

One thing I have to say for Pixar is that they do this a lot. DreamWorks doesn't seem to be as keen on it.... :roll:
You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Meg » March 4th, 2006, 3:55 pm

Agreed. I watched Making Nemo this morning, and started watching it again a little while later because I loved it so much. It's cool 'cause they talk about how it's frustrating sometimes, instead of happy fun-ness all the time.

I think it's because DreamWorks tends to gear there special features towards the kiddies, who'd be 'bored' with an in-depth documentary.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » March 23rd, 2006, 7:07 pm

I love the new look of the site, but WHY do they have pics of every film except the 2d ones??????

It looks like such a beautiful place to work though... :wink:
You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Meg » March 24th, 2006, 8:00 am

Because the traditional animated films aren't pOpUlAr. (Antz isn't there either, BTW, and that's CGI.)

It does look like a neat place to work, but for me that goes for pretty much all major animation studios. ;)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Jens » March 24th, 2006, 8:20 am

Antz IS there... You just have to scroll a little bit more to the left ;)
[url=http://www.disneydatabase.com]The Disney Database[/url] - All the Disney Magic in 1 site!

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » March 24th, 2006, 8:32 am

I guess they want to keep things bright, happy and CGI'd.

Prince Of Egypt was their only profit making tradigital film (though even that is debatable to to the cost of starting up the facilities) and the others (Spirit, Sinbad) all tanked and do not represent the bright, happy and CGI'd world of DWs Animation right now.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » March 24th, 2006, 1:19 pm

It does look like a neat place to work, but for me that goes for pretty much all major animation studios.
Yeah but DW has palm trees, a fountain, all that California Spanish architechture (kinda looks like Stanford), an outdoor swimming pool, those gorgeous vines and gardens....plus you get free lunch there ever day from what I hear. It's gotta be heaven. :) :shock:
I guess they want to keep things bright, happy and CGI'd.

Prince Of Egypt was their only profit making tradigital film (though even that is debatable to to the cost of starting up the facilities) and the others (Spirit, Sinbad) all tanked and do not represent the bright, happy and CGI'd world of DWs Animation right now.
Oh Lord...I know they want to present a good image to the stockholders and all, but really....you can't just pretend those movies never happened.
Guess I won't be seeing a SE Prince of Egypt DVD any time soon.... :( :( :(
(It would be great to see all the stuff they wanted to include but couldn't)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Meg » March 24th, 2006, 2:43 pm

Once traditional animation makes a comes back to Disney, maybe they'll start acknowledging the 'old-school' films more. Chin up, Vi!

"Yeah but DW has palm trees, a fountain, all that California Spanish architechture (kinda looks like Stanford), an outdoor swimming pool, those gorgeous vines and gardens....plus you get free lunch there ever day from what I hear. It's gotta be heaven."

Disney and Pixar are both in nice, warm places, too...But BlueSky isn't. They're located in New York - agh! I feel bad for them. :P

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » March 24th, 2006, 3:20 pm

ShyViolet wrote:Guess I won't be seeing a SE Prince of Egypt DVD any time soon.... :(
I don't know what they could have added - that POE DVD was PACKED with amazing stuff. Easily one of the best SEs ever put together and still more than holds up today.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » March 24th, 2006, 4:47 pm

Yeah, but it was only one disc! How much can you get on one disc? It didn't seem very much to me.

It was mostly technical stuff too, making-of. NO deleted scenes, not in animatic, storyboard version, NADA.

How about:

Showing us an actual story meeting with the artists and how this movie evolved? A step-by-step process, not just "Oh, here's how we did the chariot race..." You could find that on the Internet.

Showing a discussion between the DW people and the religious leaders who were consulted...(if any of them were taped)

All throughout the commentary, the directors were like: "Oh, this originally started out to be like that...." or "this scene was longer" or "Moses was originally supposed to be like this..." So...How about actually SHOWING us some of this stuff???? (Or at least letting us hear the original "Voice of G-d" as it had been conceived beforehand?)

That's what I mean by deleted scenes...even if just in the storyboard stage. :roll:

A Katzenberg commentary, so at least people will know that he does more than "executive produce" (whatever that means)

I know there was at least one song cut out of the film IE: "Brotherly Love".
How about showing us some of that?

More stuff from their research trip to Egypt and how it inspired them. That was really cool.

What about recording sessions, or artists' commentaries? Pixar does this.

Multi-Language feature? They only have this for the "When You Believe" song. Since this film was released all over the world, why not have AT LEAST 3 or 4 extra languages on the disc? Why not Hebrew, for that matter?

According to Amazon, this was all they had. I think there's plenty of room for more....

Studio: DreamWorks

Available Subtitles: English
Available Audio Tracks: English (Dolby Digital 5.1)
Commentary by: Directors Brenda Chapman, Steve Hickner And Simon WellsDolby Digital 1.0
Technical effects reel
Chariot race multi-image segment
Art design slide show
Making-of featurette
Multi-language clip of the song "When You Believe."

Also, even though it was an hour long, I saw the exact same Making-Of featurette on HBO when the movie first came to theaters. DW does the same thing now, unfortunately.

There was also a feature on TV: "The music of Prince of Egypt" with the videos of the musical artists who recorded the country/inspirational songs for the pop POE album. The talk about the film. This wasn't included either. :(

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » March 24th, 2006, 6:02 pm

Okay, well I rest my case, and I'm not going to argue with such a "passionate" post! ;)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » October 21st, 2006, 10:39 am

Well, it's been acknowledged offiically now:

http://www.dreamworks.com/

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » October 23rd, 2006, 7:47 am

Hey! They used our olive colored background!

Where is POE acknowledged? I still only see the reliance on the CG features (and a distinct lack of Aardman-only films)...

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Uli » October 23rd, 2006, 7:46 pm

Last edited by Uli on May 25th, 2007, 8:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » October 23rd, 2006, 9:48 pm

Yeah, I remember that thread. I admit this s**ks. Especially with traditional animation making a comeback and all! :?