DreamWorks Discussion

General Discussions, Polls, Lists, Video Clips and Links
AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Re: DreamWorks Animation Announces Full Slate Until 2012

Post by starlioness » May 29th, 2009, 5:32 pm

Neal wrote:Well, taken from /Film, here it is:
DreamWorks Animation has announced plans to release five feature films every two years, up from their previous two films a year schedule. The company cites their “three very successful franchises” as one of the reasons to produce an extra film every other year. Apparently the plan is to release one or two sequels a year, as well as an original project, all of which will be produced in digital 3D. Check out the full schedule after the jump.

March 26th 2010: How To Train Your Dragon - “Meet Hiccup Horrendous Haddock III, heir of the Viking chiefdom, but a boy with one very big problem: a hero he is not. “How to Train Your Dragon’ is the riotous story of Hiccup’s quest to hunt down the fiercest dragon, bring it into submission, and—hopefully—pass his initiation. Instead, he ends up with the smallest, most ornery dragon—it’s even toothless! Thus begins the hijinx of the world’s most lovable, unlikely hero and a most reluctant “beast.” Packed with energetic drawings and plenty of action, this boisterous tale is just right for fantasy fans or anyone with a spirit of adventure. Based on the book by Cressida Cowell.” Directed by Chris Sanders, and featuring the voices of Jay Baruchel, Gerard Butler, America Ferrera, Jonah Hill, and Christopher Mintz-Plasse.

May 21st 2010: Shrek Forever After (retitled from Shrek Goes Fourth) — Directed by Mike Mitchell (Duce Bigelow, Surviving Christmas, Sky High).

November 5th 2010: Oobermind (formerly titled Master Mind) - Written by Alan J. Schoolcraft and Brent Simons, Oobermind is a satirical take on superhero movies (think The Incredibles), in which a notorious villain (Robert Downey Jr) who finds life a little bit boring after he accidentally kills his nemesis, good guy superhero Metro Man. Ben Stiller and Tina Fey are also proving voices.

June 3rd 2011: Kung Fu Panda: The Kaboom of Doom (formerly titled Kung Fu Panda 2) — Longtime story exec Jennifer Yuh Nelson makes her feature directorial debut, in a story following continuing adventures of Po, the Kung Fu panda.

November 4th 2011: The Guardians — Based on an upcoming book series by William Joyce, whose work inspired Disney’s Meet The Robinsons. Described as “a contemporary fairytale based on existing fairytale characters,” Santa Claus, the Easter Bunny, the Tooth Fairy, Jack Frost and the Sandman team up to defend the world from a Bogeyman-like villain. Of course, the characters have been “somewhat renamed and massively reimagined”. The first book has a tenative release of Christmas 2010. Visual effects artist and animator Jeff Lynch makes his feature directorial debut.

March 20th 2012: Puss in Boots — Shrek the Third director Chris Smith directs this prequel spin-off to Shrek 2, telling the story of Puss in Boots (Antonio Banderas). Salma Hayek will voice the female love interest named Kitty.

May 27th 2012: Madagascar 3 — Directed by Eric Darnell (Madagascar, Madagascar: Escape 2 Africa), the new story will follow the animals as they travel to Europe as part of a traveling circus. Tom McGrath previously said that the would like to see the characters return to their home, the Central Park Zoo, but it doesn’t look like that’s going to happen any time soon..

November 12th 2012: A Yet-to-be-chosen Original Feature from the following three options –

Chris Sanders and Kirk DeMicco’s caveman comedy The Croods (formerly titled Crood Awakenings) which was once set up with Aardman Animation. Set in the prehistoric era, a man’s position as Leader of the Hunt is threatened by the arrival of a prehistoric genius who comes up with revolutionary new inventions … like fire. Sanders has described the project as: “The idea of having all the modern conveniences and social structures that we’re familiar with gone and being left with just a pure form of people was really fun to imagine working with.”

Truckers — based on the first of the thee books in Terry Pratchett’s best-selling The Bromeliad Trilogy, which tells the story of the Nomes, a race of tiny people from another world who now struggle to survive in the world hidden among humans. They find an artifact known as “The Thing” which teaches them about their secret history and make plans to return home. Screenplay is being written by Slumdog scribe Simon Beaufoy. The film has been in development at the studio since at least 2001, originally with Shrek director Andrew Adamson attached to write and direct, but went on to helm Shrek 2 instead before moving on to the Chronicles of Narnia films.

Super Secret Ghost Project (tenative working title) — A story which asks what ghosts think about humans. I imagine this will be DreamWorks’ attempt at copying Pixar’s Monsters, Inc.
So, not to just unnecessarily knock DreamWorks, but seriously, only The Guardians has my current interest. I enjoyed "Meet the Robinsons". Even if it strayed from Joyce's book, I think a new adventure from him could be great. I also enjoy stories that tie together 'holiday mascots' - such as The Nightmare before Christmas, a select number of Rankin/Bass films, etc.

Otherwise, I'm not too interested.

hmmm.. I am looking foward to the dragon one.. mainly because I like Dragons.. and Chris Sanders rocks.. :).. though I kinda sense a "Reluctant Dragon " story here "

the Mad charcters in a Circus?.. hmm.. I thought they would go home after Africa.. though I'm not sure why Alex would wan't to leave his family.. ???

hmmph, maybe Shrek 4 should be Shrek N'ever after. but :roll: .. are they still doing the prequel?

and Pat, c'mon don't you think the name Puss is a bit cliche? :)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by eddievalient » May 29th, 2009, 9:22 pm

Dreamworks could never hope to have the talent that Pixar does. They will always be second best (third once John Lasseter gets Disney back up to scratch). There are projects there that sound interesting, but I'm afraid I have lower expectations for them.
The Official Lugofilm Ltd Youtube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/bartsimpson83

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by droosan » May 30th, 2009, 12:01 am

A couple of the most talented artists whom I personally know work, or have worked, at DreamWorks (and yes, I've met a few guys from Pixar, as well).

There's boatloads of artistic talent at DreamWorks/PDI, Disney, Pixar, Sony, and Blue Sky. There is a fundamental difference in the types of movies being made at these various studios, and in the amount of 'visionary' control over storytelling allowed within their top tiers. But from what I've observed, extremely talented artists abound at all of these studios (and others besides).

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Randall » May 30th, 2009, 12:54 am

Totally agree. I'm not "in the biz," but it is obvious that each studio has tons of talent. In terms of the end value of each film, it's management and directors that make the biggest difference in my mind. Artists make the film beautiful, but they do less to influence the story than a director. Of course, I'm speaking very generally, as artists do have some influence to varying degrees--- but how much they're listened to is determined by higher ups. One gets the impression that Pixar values contributions from everyone more than some other places.

As I've said before, I think Kung Fu Panda is visually one of the best designed animated films in years. Those artists deserve lots of credit, regardless of where they work.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

DreamWorks Future Slate

Post by LotsoA113 » March 20th, 2010, 3:46 pm

What do you think is coming 2013? I think How To Train Your Dragon 2 and an original film.
I love all things cinema, from silent movies to world cinema to animated cinema to big blockbusters to documentaries and everything in between!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Re: DreamWorks Future Slate

Post by Locall » March 20th, 2010, 6:37 pm

Probably we'll see a Madagascar 4, Kung Fu Panda 3, Puss in Boots 2 aswell 8)

But sshhh, it's not suppose to leak
Last edited by Locall on March 20th, 2010, 6:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dacey » March 20th, 2010, 11:12 pm

"Fright Diner" is probably what we'll see in 2013, since it's currently without a date and that would seem about right.

And doesn't Chris Sanders have another project in development with the studio?
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift--that is why it's called the present."

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Re: DreamWorks Future Slate

Post by LotsoA113 » March 20th, 2010, 11:52 pm

Locall wrote:
Post subject: Re: DreamWorks Future Slate Reply with quote
Probably we'll see a Madagascar 4, Kung Fu Panda 3, Puss in Boots 2 aswell 8)
LOL! :lol: I bet soon DreamWorks will only make sequels...three of them a year!!
Dacey wrote: And doesn't Chris Sanders have another project in development with the studio?
Inndeed he does. The film is called The Croods. HE was working on it before Dragon..but that film sidetracked him for a year. Now he's working fully on The Croods.
I love all things cinema, from silent movies to world cinema to animated cinema to big blockbusters to documentaries and everything in between!

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » March 22nd, 2010, 8:40 am

I understood that Madagascar 3 would be the last one.

And what is this thread all about? A lot of speculation here on things that have not been announced or would be way too early to release in 2013. :?

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Re: DreamWorks Discussion

Post by droosan » June 5th, 2019, 1:49 am

As of today, it is finally possible to assemble a complete home video library of DreamWorks' theatrical features on Region-1 Blu-ray. :)

While most of its newer titles have been available on BD since the format's debut (some of them even in multiple editions, over the years), many of the studio's earliest movies -- especially it's 'tradigital' films and Aardman collaborations -- were not.

Back in January, Universal released the following titles as barebones BD (+digital) discs:
  • The Prince of Egypt
    Antz
    The Road to El Dorado
    Chicken Run
Today sees the release of the rest of the Dreamworks catalog on BD:
  • Sinbad: Legend of the Seven Seas
    Shark Tale
    Wallace & Gromit: The Curse of the Were-Rabbit
    Over The Hedge
    Flushed Away
8)
Last edited by droosan on June 6th, 2019, 2:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » June 5th, 2019, 3:56 pm

Though I must point out to newbies that all those discs aren’t exactly barebones...they do include most if not all of their orginal DVD extras, including commentaries and making ofs, and pretty nice uniform spine packaging, so they look neat along the shelf! I’m a happy bunny.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Randall » June 5th, 2019, 6:56 pm

I love the new releases, mostly. They do include all the important bonus material from the DVDs, according to the packaging. And the white spines all line up very nicely on a shelf. (I re-purchased Spirit for $10 when I saw it, just for the cover slip!)

The covers themselves, however, are UGLY--- mostly a remix of close-ups from previous covers. Universal has always had the worst people designing their packaging. (Anyone like Schindler's List encased in a big plexiglass box? Yeesh.) So, I have kept my old DVDs, and put them with the Blus in double-disc Blu-ray cases, utilizing cut-down DVD covers, but with the new slips over top. Best of all worlds. :)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by droosan » June 6th, 2019, 3:15 am

Yeah; 'barebones' was a poorly-chosen term. (I struck it from my previous post). :oops:

What I meant was that these are not 2-disc Blu-ray/DVD sets, as most of the earlier DreamWorks movies had been.

----------------------------------------

And, I agree; the Universal cover art is hideous. :?

As you guys probably recall .. I design streamlined packaging for my DVD library, as a weekend hobby. I'll post some examples of my DreamWorks covers, someday .. if there's any interest.

I'd put up a few of 'em, now .. but my online image host vanished from the internet, awhile back (and broke all the images I'd linked here, over the past ten years, or so .. though I do have backups of them all, for myself). I haven't yet gotten around to looking for a replacement image host; perhaps this could be my excuse for finally doing so. :|

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » June 6th, 2019, 6:40 pm

Ironically, all five of the just-released titles turned up here this morning. Yeah, as much as I’m not a fan of the cover art either, at least it’s all uniform and, to be honest, it’s only the spines that really get seen, and they’re pretty neat.

From my same order, I’m just waiting for Dragon 3 to show...which won’t match the cover art in any way shape or form! ;)

I remember your covers, Droo, especially the blue Disney ones. I think I did nab copies of those when you posted back in the day, but that was a long time ago on a computer that had since died a good while back! Ah, the joys of digital backups...! ;)

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dan » June 6th, 2019, 11:57 pm

Got my five on Tuesday, so I now have all the DreamWorks films in blu. 8)