A different view on CG

General Discussions, Polls, Lists, Video Clips and Links
AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

A different view on CG

Post by ShyViolet » July 19th, 2005, 5:54 pm

You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Meg » July 24th, 2005, 2:23 pm

I somewhat agree...

GeorgeC

Post by GeorgeC » July 24th, 2005, 11:03 pm

Few people say CG is ALL BAD...

The problem is that the business people don't understand WHEN to use CG and WHEN NOT TO. The same applies to a lot of computer animators desperate for work or who are so in love in computers that they make excuses to use computers for things that computers are NOT appropriate for.

CG is good for inanimate objects, machines, toys, anything that's NOT organic. It's just a bit too crisp, too artificial for most organic things.

People don't look particularly good in close-up CGI. From a distance you won't be able to tell, really, but if you get close up they start looking like those awful marionettes in Final Fantasy and Polar Express.

On the other hand, maybe it's the 100 years+ of tradition, but most organic beings/objects don't look too bad when they're drawn by hand.

The problem right now ISN'T the CG, the problem is that PEOPLE ARE ASSUMING THAT CG IS THE ANSWER TO EVERYTHING.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Kaszubas » July 25th, 2005, 5:40 am

Thanks for a link :) It's evolving into very interesting discussion. The riposte is as much interesting, so are comments below. Many quite refreshing points of view:

http://persistenceofvision.blogspot.com ... imate.html

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Meg » July 25th, 2005, 4:24 pm

GeorgeC wrote: The problem right now ISN'T the CG, the problem is that PEOPLE ARE ASSUMING THAT CG IS THE ANSWER TO EVERYTHING.
*cough* Disney *cough*

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Menace » July 31st, 2005, 12:51 pm

Sadly, we live in a disillusioned generation which cares more about special effect and less about meaningful plot. The rule of thumb seems to be...dazzle them with CG and they will beat a path to your door. I think that's mostly what these newer Star Wars were all about.

I agree. You shouldn't over use anything. Like flash on a webpage or sound fx. There's a time and a place for everything.
And there you have it, ladies and gentlemen. My two cents.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Meg » July 31st, 2005, 9:02 pm

Menace wrote:Sadly, we live in a disillusioned generation which cares more about special effect and less about meaningful plot. The rule of thumb seems to be...dazzle them with CG and they will beat a path to your door.
Well, yeah, but just 'cause it's CG doesn't mean it doesn't have a bad plot. There's even more 2-D crap out there then there is 3-D!

The computer is only another tool in animation, just as much as a pencil is.