Snip - Animated Short Film

General Discussions, Polls, Lists, Video Clips and Links
AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Snip - Animated Short Film

Post by funstructive » November 12th, 2019, 3:07 pm

I really don't like barging into what looks like a really cool, intimate community here. My friends and are trying our best just to share what we've made to people who may appreciate it. The 5 of us made a short film that took 5 years of our lives entirely in our free time. We finished a year ago and have been submitting to festivals and even were awarded some accolades. Now we've released it and are scouring the internet to share and receive feedback. And in that search I stumbled on you all's community here. So forgive me for just popping in as a newbie just to share, but we would love any and all feedback or questions! We are trying to continually become better storytellers/animators.

thanks
adam

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Re: Snip - Animated Short Film

Post by droosan » November 13th, 2019, 3:35 am

It's a fun little piece. :)

I'd thought, at first, that some foley/sound effects might've been nice .. but IMO, it does rather work as (essentially) a 'silent' film.

Thanks for sharing it here! :mrgreen:

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by funstructive » November 14th, 2019, 1:46 pm

Thank you so much for checking it out and giving feedback!

Yeah the sfx we're a long debate for us. We thought in the end we wanted to highlight the story beats with the sounds. Like for instance we knew we would need a scissor snip for when he actually cuts her hair...also the inspiration for the title...and from there decided to use foley as either jokes or indicating the story moving forward. We especially wanted the music to do as much work as it could in tonally communicating what was happening on screen.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » November 15th, 2019, 1:57 pm

That was cute, held my interest. The music was great.

As far as feedback, I thought after he got smoked he wiped himself too clean. Same for his hands. Doesn't appear she paid or left a tip. Lastly, his getup looks to be more suited for a barber when women usually tend to visit hairdressers.

I'm surprised she didn't take a selfie. ;)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by funstructive » November 15th, 2019, 7:23 pm

Awesome! glad to hear. "cute" is what we were going for.

Thanks for taking the time to check it out. Really appreciate the feedback!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » November 16th, 2019, 1:25 pm

How come they don't have mouths?

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by funstructive » November 20th, 2019, 10:46 am

They don't have mouths because when we started throwing around the idea of trying to make a short we were just out of school and one motivator to make a short was that it will keep us practicing animation. And we all felt our acting chops should be more practiced. So we were all leaning towards an entirely pantomime short to really push us to tell an entire story with acting alone. As well, we were all just animators at the time and only had a surface level understanding of the other parts of the production pipeline (rigging, lighting, effects). So we decided to use characters our school offered to us to get to animation sooner, to keep momentum in hopes to ultimately finish. Those specific rigs are lower class rigs used for body mechanics and early acting classes, and we liked the added challenge of conveying the story with only facial and body poses rather than relying on a mouth. Also we liked the added contrast of the design of the characters, the barber being so big and the girl being so petite.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » November 21st, 2019, 1:34 pm

Ah, thought it might have been a homage to Gromit. ;)

Any plans for a sequel?