Top five FAVORITE movies? (Can include animation)

General Discussions, Polls, Lists, Video Clips and Links
AV Founder
AV Founder

Re: Top five FAVORITE movies? (Can include animation)

Post by Ben » February 20th, 2020, 7:26 pm

Well, especially given that list I still stand by Slumdog being the last "great" Oscar film, and that was over ten years ago!

This is not to say that we haven’t had good movies since then, and goodness knows that the Academy hasn’t always historically got things "right", but there just haven’t been that many worthy or "classic" Oscar movies since Slumdog.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by EricJ » February 20th, 2020, 9:35 pm

Slumdog may very well have been the movie that singlehandedly RUINED the Oscars for good--

After legions of "That was the best we had this year??" movie fans started dividing into tribes of either angry comic-book fans claiming The Dark Knight would have beaten it in a fair fight if it hadn't been "unfairly snubbed by old-fogey snoots, just 'cause it was, like, really popular!", and grownup Disney-sympathetic Pixarites, who raged about why Wall-E had to be "exiled" to picking up its annual no-suspense Best Animation when that movie could have beaten it in a fair fight.

Which prompted the Academy to think that, gosh, if we had MORE nominations, we'd have neater movies up for Picture, just like the Golden Globes!...They would have nominated Dark Knight! :mrgreen:

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » February 21st, 2020, 6:02 am

Oooh, caps *and* bold!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » February 21st, 2020, 11:44 am

:lol:

I have the distinct feeling that's done to mask ones insecurities...

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by James » February 21st, 2020, 11:58 am

I don't think he's saying the movie ruined the Oscars. He's saying the reaction to the movie winning Best Picture ruined the Oscars (by doubling the nominees).

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by EricJ » February 22nd, 2020, 7:20 pm

Yes--Although I do also recall the definite underwhelmed-audience sense of "What would this year's race have been like if real movies had been allowed to run?" that year.
The feeling we've had ever since, but this was the first time since English Patient vs. Fargo.

Now, I'm just going to brew a comforting cup of camomile tea, take some deep breaths, and try to get over the crushed ego of having my formatting cruelly attacked... :cry:

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Bill1978 » February 23rd, 2020, 12:01 am

EricJ wrote:
February 20th, 2020, 3:15 am

(And, yes, I mean the guy in the dress from "Battle of Five Armies". For a start.)
There is??

And I think the main issue with the Oscars at present is the expansion of the Best Picture category. Mainly because it seems the voters believe that every pic nominated for Best Pic needs to be recognise with at least one statuette (Obviously not always the case hey Irishman). This results in Best Picture winners walking away with maybe 3 extra statues instead of a collection. Not saying Best Picture should always be a runaway dominant force like Titanic or Return of the King but if something is truly Best PIcture it should be winning more than 1 or 2 additional trophies in my opinion.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » March 3rd, 2020, 6:28 pm

Empire’s 100 greatest of ALL films released in the “aughts” and, I guess, “teens”. Lol. ;)

Actually a very interesting (and certainly provocative) read. :) Semi-spoiler:
Inception was voted #2
https://www.empireonline.com/movies/fea ... s-century/

And as for # 94, all I’ve got to say is this:

94.). Batman Begins: Where The Dark Knight gave us a Joker movie for the ages, Christopher Nolan’s first Bat-film really got under the skin of Bruce Wayne. Taking inspiration from Frank Miller’s Batman: Year One comics, Nolan delivered a big-budget character study – what, exactly, makes an orphaned rich-kid dress as a giant bat and swoop down on unsuspecting criminals? The answer, according to Hollywood’s most psychologically-driven auteur, is fear and the need to conquer it. That, and being subjected to psychotropic flowers in the Himalayan wilderness. From Cillian Murphy’s horror-masked Scarecrow, to flashbacks of a young Bruce trapped at the bottom of a well, to operatic shots of swirling bats, Nolan commits to a layered exploration of what makes Christian Bale’s bereaved billionaire – and the festering underbelly of Gotham – tick. Batman Begins is a film that digs deep thematically – and still gives us epic ninja fights.

He had flashbacks of falling into a well in Batman Forever too. :roll:
You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » March 4th, 2020, 5:53 am

Any list that has that as No. 2 can’t be taken that seriously, Vi. I wouldn’t sweat it.