General Discussions, Polls, Lists, Video Clips and Links
AV Founder
AV Founder

Re: Coronavirus (Covid-19)

Post by James » July 16th, 2021, 4:28 pm

ShyViolet wrote:
July 16th, 2021, 4:01 pm
What the hell is wrong with you Eric???
C'mon now! If someone had said something any other religion might consider offensive, we'd be jumping all over them. As I told someone else around here back in the day, discussions promoting your religions beliefs or denigrating others' religious beliefs have no place on an animation forum!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » July 16th, 2021, 4:34 pm

It’s not the religious thing, it’s just that Geffrey is obviously in pain and reaching out. Eric’s reply was just so insensitive. :(. And quite nasty as well.
You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by EricJ » July 16th, 2021, 5:43 pm

I let Ben's response be the Good Cop.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » July 16th, 2021, 7:34 pm

Wow…well I guess I really missed that the most important thing in that original post was about religion, and not that one of our readers, clearly vulnerable with special circumstances as he has previously told us and younger than most of us, is at a point of dispair, distress, desperation, and possibly serious depression.

Way to be compassionate, guys.

Geffrey…maybe take a break from some of the insensitivity you will find online…and get the help you clearly need. Good luck.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Randall » July 16th, 2021, 9:37 pm

Geffrey, if you're still reading, I have some advice to share, though I do hope you seek some other assistance as well.

It's really tough, when you're young and have not experienced much of life yet, to see all that is going on and not feel downhearted. I get that. However, a young person lacks the experience that grants perspective. I can reassure you that the world has been here before, and survived. This is not the first pandemic (the last one 100 years ago was actually way worse), and not the first time there have been political problems. The world carried on before and will again.

My great-grandparents fled problems in Europe. My grandparents survived the Great Depression and World War II. My parents and I survived the Cold War, during which there were times we thought that we would quite possibly face nuclear annihilation. Earlier generations got through famine, drought, pestilences, and other wars. Life does have challenges, but some times are worse than others. Right now, we're in a rough patch, sure. But it's just a rough patch. And as we get through it, it's more important than ever to plan and dream, to create and share, even if we'll need to be flexible for a little while.

Every century has to have at least one really challenging time, and this is the current one. Fortunately, there are miraculous vaccines that can help, and there are still many wonderful, caring people in the world. We can get through this. Things are bound to get better, because they ALWAYS have before. Honest. Hang in there, and find a good person to talk to.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by James » July 16th, 2021, 9:50 pm

Ben wrote:
July 16th, 2021, 7:34 pm
...Way to be compassionate, guys...
Really?

You'd have been OK completely ignoring a poster here who said the exact same thing but instead of wanting to get rid of all Christians said, "I wish I could go back in time and get rid of all the Jews to save the world"? What if he was having a bad time of it and said he wished he could get rid of all the *word-that-got-Ed-banned*? Would we have to listen to that language in order to be compassionate?

Really? I HIGHLY doubt we would have let either of those go unchallenged. At least I hope we wouldn't have! Why is this different?

And even in the post by Eric you're complaining about he did make sure to concur with your point ("I agree, it's time to stop wringing hands, and start opening mouths, preferably to someone professional who can listen") after hitting out at the bigotry.

Yes, he needs help. But that doesn't give him leave to be offensive and break our rules.

Some are rightly being compassionate here. (Randall has a great post!) Some are rightly offended. Both are valid responses. There's no need to trash each other over what he said.

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dacey » July 16th, 2021, 10:07 pm

Can we PLEASE move this discussion to the private forum? This kind of stuff has no business being out in the open like this, ESPECIALLY considering the potential negative impact it may have on the original poster.
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift--that is why it's called the present."

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by GeffreyDrogon » July 17th, 2021, 2:57 pm

I apologize for being manic and saying things that are inappropriate in a forum. I am just scared of the future and my life.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » July 17th, 2021, 3:53 pm

Geffrey, you have nothing to apologize for. You’ve been a great member here and we’re all praying for you to feel better. Please know that. 🙏.

We’re behind you. Please know that you are more than worthwhile as a person and deserve to be happy.
You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by James » July 17th, 2021, 3:56 pm

No problems dude, but thanks for the apology. Hopefully there’s some good advice you can glean from these posts! Best of luck — it really does get better!

And with that, let’s move on. If anyone else wants to comment about any of this, I think it’d be best to do so privately.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » July 17th, 2021, 4:16 pm

I will just say, to address James' comment to me before we move on, that, yes, I did find the Jesus thing to be more than a little "out there" and random. And I agree with what you said. Just, at the time, that wasn’t the big takeaway I made from the original, obviously in need of help, post. I thought it more important to suggest the help clearly needed, rather than to make the poor guy feel any worse at that point.

Luckily, others here have also provided good, kind words, and hopefully he, and all of us, can indeed now move on to worrying about Covid for Covid's sake, without any additional baggage that this thing really doesn’t need!

And with that, I give you Dr Julius Greenbaum… ;)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by GeffreyDrogon » July 17th, 2021, 7:08 pm

The Delta variant scares me.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Randall » July 17th, 2021, 7:44 pm

Well, I'd say that's pretty sensible. Scary things should scare us. That's what motivates us to stay safe. But there are ways to protect yourself. As a healthcare professional, I highly encourage you to be vaccinated at the earliest opportunity, and generally avoid crowded indoor spaces.

We don't need to "live in fear," but it is good to be wise and cautious.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by EricJ » July 17th, 2021, 8:54 pm

As the wise man once said:
"You, my fine friend, are a victim of disorganized thinking--You are under the sad delusion that simply because you run away from danger, you have no courage...You're confusing courage with wisdom!"

Fortunately, there's something in the bag for that, too, available in your own town.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by GeffreyDrogon » July 21st, 2021, 9:11 pm

Everything going on the world makes it hard for me to focus on my dreams, especially with wanting a career and to finish my novel. I'm lazy because I am in despair over myself and lack confidence.