Coronavirus (Covid-19)

General Discussions, Polls, Lists, Video Clips and Links
AV Founder
AV Founder

Re: Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Post by Randall » May 27th, 2020, 10:56 pm

No, it will not. But people cannot seem to comprehend it. We just got two new cases announced in town today, from large family gatherings that took place likely on Mother's Day. And now there are 60 more people to check for contact tracing because of it.

I understand businesses needing to open; my clinic reopened 3 weeks ago itself, with many precautions taken. But I cannot comprehend the selfish folks who feel entitled to attend parties and crowd into parks during a pandemic situation.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » May 28th, 2020, 5:06 am

Well South Korea, which had pretty much beaten it, is on a second containment all from just ONE guy who flew in from abroad and went to several nightclubs. One guy! Now they have 79 new cases, the highest number in almost two months there.

The sad thing is that humans have turned out to be the dumbest animals there are. Without a vaccine (that works) the ONLY way to kill this off is to keep to lockdown until it’s gone, which is now pretty much an impossible thing.

But people can’t or won’t, because instead of many of them being Sensible & Safe, most are unfortunately Selfish & Stupid. They all apparently "must" have parties and holidays and such, rather than just buckling down and killing this off. A month - just a month! - of complete worldwide minimal interaction and zero travel and this thing could be gone, but I fear we're beyond that point now, thanks to inept governments and the general public.

Hope your cases don’t expand, Rand. There’s a joke in film production where we say that "people are stupid" when it comes to plot explanations and setting out geography in the photography and editing. You have to make sure these things are clear for audiences, because "people are stupid". Turns out it’s not such a joke!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » May 28th, 2020, 1:28 pm

The US death toll now passes 100,000. What a sad milestone. :(

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » May 28th, 2020, 6:34 pm

What’s really sad, going back to a comment I made about the UK being the worst reactor to this pandemic, as that our numbers, taking in "all settings" and not just direct covid deaths, is likely around 60,000. Thats *ridiculous* when we are geographically about the size of just one US state.

Tells you everything you need to know. And after the recent backlash on a government official who has broken the lockdown rules and — surprise surprise — got away with it, the overused slogan of "stay alert, control the virus, save lives" is quickly going around in the amended "stay elite, can't control the virus, lives lost".

To counter it, the gov is trying to shift focus on to their new tracing system (which launched today and didn’t work) and the lifting of restrictions — way too early, but proving that BoJo The Clown is putting his political interests ahead of the country's health. Appalling.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » June 1st, 2020, 9:56 pm

I don’t know...this is pretty silly, but maybe it’ll help lift everyone’s mood at least a little bit. :wink:

(Some language)

https://youtu.be/V3TSe2jIMbk
You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » June 2nd, 2020, 5:13 am

I’ve never seen that. That’s actually pretty awesome. I’ll have to check out more of him when I can but, yeah, can't believe they haven’t used him in a real episode, or even "mocked" him as "that internet guy who thinks he's Peter Griffin", if you know what I mean. But that’s pretty amazing that someone can resemble a cartoon character and do the voice so well.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » June 20th, 2020, 2:53 pm

Mask or no mask. 😷, what’s the point of even going to a movie if you’re only going to be physically uncomfortable and/or worried about the risk?? Kinda defeats the whole purpose of going to the movies to relieve stress. :?

“Oh yeah wearing this mask is really annoying...but at least I can lean back and put my feet up!” roll:

https://www.cnet.com/news/amc-theatres- ... ationwide/

I don’t know how the situation is in other countries vis a vis going to movie theaters, but I imagine it’s not too different...I guess things won’t be the same for at least a while... :(
You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » June 20th, 2020, 5:04 pm

They should reissue The Mask! :mrgreen:

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Randall » June 20th, 2020, 10:46 pm

:lol:

Here in Saskatchewan, no movie theatres are allowed to open yet. Restaurants can be at 50% capacity; and outdoor places like parks and campgrounds are now opening, with restrictions.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » June 21st, 2020, 5:26 am

UK gov have basically given up, opening anything willy-nilly just because it makes them look a bit better after a series of u-turns on bad decisions in the past two weeks.

So shops are open, bars can open from July 4 — I am just waiting and cringing at the fact that BoJo The Clown will announce this as "our lockdown independence day" to try and sound "cool" — and plane trip holidays to some European countries can start next week.

It is utter madness, all putting wealth before health and just being done to try and get the catastrophic approval numbers back up, which have collapsed in the past month or so. And now there is pressure to relax the 2m rule, which is basically getting rid of any distancing, just as a study last week suggested that this thing can travel 18ft in the air! Since an average person stands about a meter apart in a standing conversation, going anything under 2m is essentially eradicating the distancing altogether...and we haven’t even got that good a reduction in cases yet at just over 1000 a day!

The worse thing is that the gov are now attempting to suggest its up to us how we deal with it. What with the collapse of the track and trace app and any new version of it now not coming until winter (winter!) they’re basically saying we should use common sense — something that is clearly sorely lacking in our population from the top to the bottom at the moment...

Hooo boy... :(

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » June 22nd, 2020, 9:20 pm

Ben wrote:
June 2nd, 2020, 5:13 am
I’ve never seen that. That’s actually pretty awesome. I’ll have to check out more of him when I can but, yeah, can't believe they haven’t used him in a real episode, or even "mocked" him as "that internet guy who thinks he's Peter Griffin", if you know what I mean. But that’s pretty amazing that someone can resemble a cartoon character and do the voice so well.

Another funny one! :)

https://youtu.be/s9-CQEARvAU

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » June 24th, 2020, 1:46 am

Ben wrote:
June 20th, 2020, 5:04 pm
They should reissue The Mask! :mrgreen:

Lol! :). Ah memories....

https://youtu.be/LZl69yk5lEY

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Re: Coronavirus (Covid-19)

Post by Daniel » June 26th, 2020, 12:42 pm

My local mall opened up recently and finally had an opportunity to visit. Many stores still closed, most of my favorites were open. Felt nice to finally shop again, but different. Best to enjoy now before they possibly close down again. Cases are still rising at an alarmingly rate.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » July 6th, 2020, 9:03 pm

My local mall won’t be re-opening any time soon, but that’s actually because it was being shut down anyway right before Covid hit. (Owners went bankrupt unfortunately.)

Yeah, things are still kind of scary here. I can’t believe it’s “only” been four months because it feels more like four years. (Or maybe four hundred lol.).

Unbelievable how quickly everything changed... :shock:

The world really sucks right now. :( :cry: :|

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Randall » July 6th, 2020, 9:41 pm

The mall near my office is open, but no one's shopping. The place is reportedly pretty empty, aside from the grocery store, and some stores didn't' bother to reopen. Folks are playing it safe, apparently, by shopping online or not shopping at all.

Our province is pretty much reopened now, though, aside from large gatherings not being allowed. Amateur sports are resuming this week (but with no fans). Restaurants will soon be allowed fuller capacities (previously it was only 50% capacity allowed).

Canada is adding fewer than 300 cases per day now. The US has 10x our population, but added 60,000 cases today - so, 20x what one would expect when compared to Canada. While increased testing in the States may account for some of that, we have pretty high testing rates here as well. (Per capita, Canada ranks 10th in testing, USA 6th.) And, while hospitals in some States are at or past capacity, our hospitals are relatively empty. (Only 4 covid patients in hospital in all of Saskatchewan right now.)

In Saskatchewan, we're down to 73 confirmed/known active cases across the whole province (in an area twice the size of an average US state),and 5 in my city (most or all flew into the city in the past few weeks and are being isolated), so we're doing pretty well at the moment. We'll obviously be keeping a close eye on the numbers in the coming weeks. Ironically, it's a couple of rural areas that hold most of the cases, thanks to a couple of funerals that were super-spreaders, while the bigger cities are doing well. But obviously that could change at any time. WEAR A MASK WHEN OUT AND STAY SAFE!!!