Oral history of Emperor’s New Groove!

General Discussions, Polls, Lists, Video Clips and Links
AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Oral history of Emperor’s New Groove!

Post by ShyViolet » January 28th, 2021, 3:55 pm

You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

AV Founder
AV Founder

Re: Oral history of Emperor’s New Groove!

Post by Ben » January 28th, 2021, 9:27 pm

This is an awesome, in-depth and totally candid read. Thanks, Vi! Actually makes a great "retrospective" style commentary companion piece to The Sweatbox doc, and an interesting comparison to the obviously more sanitized Disney Insider podcast that Dan just linked to.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » January 29th, 2021, 12:26 am

No problem! :).
You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dacey » January 29th, 2021, 6:29 pm

An awesome read! :) As neat as KOTS would be to "watch" in its rough form, it does sound like the finished project would've been all over the place.

Definitely cool that two of the deleted songs did make it to the soundtrack in more or less completed form, though I have always felt that the movie should conclude with the Rascal Flatts "Walk the Llama Llama" (which may or may not have been from KOTS?) number for the start of the end credits before moving onto the more serious Sting song. But I'm assuming that was to keep him happy after all of the craziness of the production.
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift--that is why it's called the present."

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » January 29th, 2021, 7:54 pm

I always wish they’d managed to work in Snuff Out The Light, about a third in. A bit of reworking, sure, but it wouldn’t have been out of place.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Farerb » January 30th, 2021, 3:32 pm

They could have changed the lyrics and put it after Yzma's eulogy when she starts celebrating. Such a waste. TBH TENG could have been both a comedy and a musical, they could have found a way to implement music in it and then it would have been better remembered today.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » June 14th, 2021, 2:28 pm

This is really cool! 8) :)

https://youtu.be/89aePH1NTNg

Watching Groove now, it really does have a classic Disney feel to it, as strange as that may sound, since the humor was so outrageous. But parts of it have often reminded me of crazy/funny humor from Walt era. (Like Jungle Book, Alice, even Sword in the Stone, which I of course realize was post-Walt.)

Looking at Groove now from 2021, it feels even MORE like classic Disney, especially when comparing it to the well-made but very hyper-muscular fantasy films that Disney’s now churning out. :?

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » June 14th, 2021, 7:11 pm

If we want to continue that "mirroring" of classic Walt era films with the Renaissance period, The Emperor's New Groove is Alice In Wonderland. :)

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dacey » June 14th, 2021, 9:32 pm

Now give us our live-action Yzma origin story movie about her raising Kuzco as a would-be single mother.

Brilliant idea, or scary beyond all reason? :wink:
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift--that is why it's called the present."

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » June 14th, 2021, 10:52 pm

Both! :)

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » June 15th, 2021, 1:15 am

It’s scary coz it’s true.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » December 15th, 2022, 4:59 pm

Disney Animation wrote:Oh right, the anniversary. The anniversary of The Emperor's New Groove. The anniversary on this day for The Emperor's New Groove. The Emperor's New Groove Anniversary. That anniversary? It's today!

:lol:

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » December 15th, 2022, 6:50 pm

Well, I wasn’t expecting THIS!! ;)