The state and future of animation

General Discussions, Polls, Lists, Video Clips and Links
AV Founder
AV Founder

Re: The state and future of animation

Post by Ben » September 2nd, 2023, 3:53 am

Well…*technically*…they weren’t shorts compilations, but features made up of individual segments, or "packages" (still a term used for items in magazine type shows, like news reports, or contestant intros on reality shows).

The war had taken its toll on the Disney studio, and although Walt knew he had to supply feature product, he didn’t have the stability or even the personnel to produce a "regular" film with its two or three year lead time and overall four year production. The studio was producing huge numbers of WWII training and propaganda shorts, where individual units could set up and turn out a short in a few months, so Walt used that model to create a series of features made up of themed sequences.

The South America trip had provided the template: four segments with linking footage and a theme, and The Three Caballeros expanded on that. Walt had always wanted to, obviously, continue Fantasia, arguably the first package feature in all but name, and so turned to popular music to make more like that: both Make Mine Music and Melody Time include moments that were destined for future Fantasias had the film been a bigger success.

Gradually these sequences grew longer: Fun And Fancy free is basically a film of "three halves" (!), taking two longer animated sequences and combining them with the Jiminy Cricket/Edgar Bergen party wraparounds, while Ichabod And Mr Toad is essentially a fully animated feature, just made up of two "mini features".

One might even include the wartime film Victory Through Air Power, tour of the studio The Reluctant Dragon, and even the first two forays into live-action storytelling, Song Of The South and So Dear To My Heart, in this series of films, since they were produced on the same model and with the same talent, and for the same reasons and resources.

While not all classics, and not always always great, these films were *vitally* important to keeping the studio going on a creative and commercially entertaining output, or else Disney's would have become *just* a WWII training film outfit and would have likely folded after the war.

Of course, Eric *is* also somewhat right, in that many of these sequences were then issued with their own title cards as individual shorts much later on, which supplemented the Specials that the studio made instead of the Silly Symphonies. Walt knew there wasn’t reissue potential with these Package films and so broke them up, which is no doubt how many of us first saw these moments.

When Walt owed distributor RKO one film film, he combined sequences from Make Mine Music and Melody Time to create Music Land in 1955, which I’d love to see someday even if I’ve seen all the bits that make it up. It has never been reissued or made available, probably because it really was just a contract fulfilment and never considered by Walt to be an official feature.

What’s never mentioned are the dozens of *actual* shorts comps that Walt shoved out as supporting features. These films really were low-rent, being just a bunch of sometimes random shorts that played with bigger films. They had title cards but little else, just being fade-in, fade-outs of six or eight cartoons, usually fronted by Donald or Goofy. Not many of those survive, but a few made it to VHS and weee then supplanted by the actual VHS era tape compilations, which were even more economic by just being generated on video with paintbox graphics.

But the Package Features remain and interesting curio in the Disney canon. Though overlooked now, they do have very good moments among them, and themselves provided the templates for many an episode of Disneyland/Wonderful Worlds, such as the awesome full-length version of Toot, Whistle, Plunk And Boom, which expands Professor Owl's "music lesson" with a combination of sequences from these films *and* and couple of Adventures In Music shorts to create a really fun mini-package program. Unfortunately, as with so much beat Disney content, it’s not available anywhere now… :(

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by GeffreyDrogon » September 6th, 2023, 2:35 pm

Ben wrote:
August 31st, 2023, 3:35 am
I’ll always remember having my hair cut some years back and the chatty girl got right into "Disney" when it was mentioned as a mutual topic of conversation. Of course, she then rattled off a whole line of titles and TV series, barely which was anything Disney. Turned out she just liked animation, and I don’t think quite got that "Walt Disney" wasn’t an alive and kicking old man still churning this stuff out. On both counts, I didn’t have the heart to tell her… :)
It's bad enough that many people confuse the typical CGI animated film as a "DreamWorks" film, even if it is independent. I even read a ScreenRant article where the author basically called Don Bluth's Anastasia a DreamWorks film.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » September 6th, 2023, 3:57 pm

Yeah. Everybody knows it’s a Disney film! ;)

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » October 7th, 2023, 4:37 am

Well…

In the 1990s, Steven Spielberg, on the set of Hook, proclaimed that big films like that would soon be a thing of the past because of production costs. A year later, he was making Jurassic, and thanks to CGI, production costs were able to be reduced, or at least stabilise for a long while. But I often wonder if Jurassic hadn’t been the giant zeitgeist swamping megabeast it was, what would have happened?

CG might not have caught on as much as it did. Would people trust Zemeckis and Cameron to make Gump and Titanic the way they did with a technology that people had rejected? It would certainly have slowed the progression into CG, and the advent of CG animated films, down some. Yes, Toy Story would have happened, but maybe that reaction might have been more muted, too, although to be fair, Disney was on a roll — the film was sold as a Disney, not Pixar, film initially — so the chances are it would have still made an impact.

However, the giant cost of those films might have seen megeblockusters go the way of the dinos if those earlier films hadn’t been huge hits, and largely sold on the back of their CG effects. T2, Jurassic, Gump, Toy and Titanic laid the groundwork and changed the industry over the course of the 90s in the way sound did in the late 20s.

There have, basically and arguably, only been a slim number of seismic shifts throughout cinema history after the invention of the medium in the late 1800s: the dawn of sound in the 20s, introduction of widescreen and stereophonic sound in the 50s, the marketing of future blockbuster pictures throughout the 70s (The Godfather, The Exorcist, The Towering Inferno, Jaws, Star Wars, Superman) and the CG revolution in the 90s. All those moments changed the way films were made, released, promoted and made. Yes, I said made twice.

We're going through that again now, which is about right as things seem to happen on a twenty to thirty-year generational cycle. It’s a combinational effect:

1) films are getting more costly to make again. They have to keep getting bigger and bigger, to top what came before, and some filmmakers frankly don’t know what they are doing, so they go the Chaplin route of making it up as they go.

2) films are not as "good" as they used to be. In getting bigger and bigger to top what came before, they are all becoming more homogenised to appeal to more people and, as a result, more people are realising they’ve seen it all before.

3) audience numbers are down. The pandemic, I fear, only escalated what was happening anyway, with more people having their entertainment time split between other distractions, such as videogames, internet videos and…

4) streaming. While this gets the brunt of the "blame" for changing audience habits, I believe the shift was slowly happening long before the pandemic made us all streaming bingers. And there's another cultural thing happening, too…

Years ago, awesome Orson Welles suggested something along the lines that the idols of the day were only as big as the medium that was popular at any given time. He was talking in the late 1970s, when films were at a bit of a downturn, before the multiplexes opened up, and music was king in entertainment. He supposed that the biggest stars have always been the ones making the most popular magic: from composers and opera singers back in theatrical times, the actors and personalities of the early film era, and so forth. Later on, a face on television was just as popular, of not more so, than the biggest film faces of the 50s and 60s, when the *films* themselves were the stars.

We are going through this again now. Yes, we have big stars, and famous faces. But increasingly they are becoming unable to open (to "sell") a film. In the 70s, when Welles was speaking, stadium rock and concerts made musicians much bigger stars than those appearing on cinema screens. And, it’s true, he’s actually right when you think about it. All those singer-songwriters of the time were making much more money and had their pictures on many more walls than Redford, Newman, Hoffman, or any of the biggest movie stars of the decade.

Now it’s the turn of the influencers, or as I call them, the influenzas. These often vacuous, often no-talent hacks with their YouTube "shows" have become the faces that (mostly younger) people are watching all the time now. Movies are down, television is down. There's too much noise going on, and entertainment has become a throwaway commodity, that only a few people, the new "stars" are going to break through. The (gosh it hurts me to say so) Kardashians, etc. Hideous, fake people that, shockingly, "regular, normal" people want to emulate, for some reason, rather than be their own thing.

All of which gets us back to animated films and films in general. Yes…there was a point to this after all.

Films are getting too costly to make again, based on the smaller returns they are generating. Because people are not going to see them in the numbers they once were. Because the films are, generally, not very good. But no-one challenges this. Everyone, it seems, is happy to accept the mediocrity of most blockbusters that come along, with the usual "it was okay". How many times have I wheeled out my "good enough should never be good enough" maxim recently?

It seems every film gets some sort of pass, like it’s the "best" the filmmakers could do. So with this acceptance, we are then going to get the films we deserve. Which is why it's kind of great to see audiences finally waking up and rejecting these things en masse: The Flush and Pile Of Density being the obvious losers this summer. They should have been better films. At $250m+ cost, they really should have been better films!

Yes, there are outliers: Avatar 2, I think, built upon a huge audience expectation and appetite for a sequel that was so long in coming that I think a lot of that film's success was an inner need to try and reclaim a bit of what life was like 15 or so years ago, and to try and get that feeling back. After the pandemic, we needed to remind ourselves that things might be how they once were. Afterwards, everyone did wake up to the fact that they’d seen the exact same film all that time before, but it didn’t matter: the audience wanted something safe, big and, yes, mindless, just to take their minds off things.

It could, have course, gone the other way, and been a massive, massive flop. Now that Cameron's one trick has somewhat been exposed, it’ll be interesting if that can be sustained over another three sequels. The movie landscape will again be much changed before the final of those films is released. My own local cinema is currently under threat, looking to close possibly at the end of this year. It’ll be the first time since cinemas opened in the UK that Elstree and Borehamwood — one of the original film towns and once dubbed "Britain's Hollywood" because of its *six* major studios (2001, Star Wars, Indy, Roger Rabbit, the list goes on and on) — does not have a cinema within its borders.

So films, including animated films, are going to have to go through another rethink. And at the first post, this unfortunately means cutting the bottom line. Which means restructuring. Illumination famously makes its films for between $75-100m, and has a high budget to hit ratio. DreamWorks and Disney, on the other hand, have films routinely costing around $200m to produce, and haven’t been seeing the best of returns, for various reasons: yes, the pandemic, but also because the films have not exactly been classics in waiting. Enjoyable? Sure. "Pretty good"? Again, maybe. But nothing that’s been a breakout hit since Frozen II, another sequel.

Illumination, on the other hand, can weather a couple of lesser grossing films, since their model is cheaper to begin with. Universal, now owning both Illumination and DWA, must be asking if one studio can do this, why can’t the other one? And there is, somewhat unfortunately, logic there. The demand for more content means more content needs to be made, but that that content needs to be made more cheaply and be more successful. So there’s a vicious circle of cheapening out production while making films to try and appeal to most people. So they all become the same, and become more cookie-cutter.

Which means more predictable stories, lesser audience engagement, and more desperation from producers who will latch on to more sequels, remakes and product properties to try and cut through to sell you something you might have heard of or remember. And so it goes on. I haven’t seen it, but this can be the only explanation as to why Barbie cut through so big this year: despite being ostensibly a product feature, it became a hit by stealthily subverting those expectations and being something quite different — very different if what I have heard is true — to what could have been another routine, Lego Movie type franchise movie made for the masses.

Ironically, it became embraced by those masses, perhaps exactly because it was so different, maybe "shocking", and surprising. But then here’s where things get obvious and predictable again. Warners wants more Barbie. There will be a sequel, one way or another. Other toy movies will follow, some of them animated, I’m sure. But most of them won’t have that Barbie sparkle, and most of them won’t be that good at all, and many of them will be shunned by audiences off watching whatever next influenzas tell them to go watch (which, currently, won’t be Snow White).

So film returns will be lower again, which in the old days meant fewer films would be made. But now content is king, so more movies will be made. But cheaper and lazier. All of which isn’t really great for our own cultural tastes, or for the industry that is making them.

Interesting times… Interesting times… :?

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » October 7th, 2023, 7:46 am

Phenomenal post, Ben! :)

Really enjoyed reading it. Agree with all.
You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Randall » October 7th, 2023, 9:37 am

And so DreamWorks did try to make a cheaper film, Ruby Gillman, budgeted at $70M.... and it bombed hard. Of course, quality, marketing, and other factors sunk it, but it gave a mixed lesson. It certainly helped push DWA to look for further cost-cutting, but also "teaches" them that lower-budgeted DWA films may not be successful, since DWA isn't the same brand as Illumination, which then encourages spending on more elaborate DWA films, which makes it harder to recoup their budgets!

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dacey » October 7th, 2023, 3:35 pm

Well…

Ben’s being just a little harsh on influencers.

You really can’t get to that level of popularity without talent. It may be aiming for a generation younger than me, but that doesn’t mean it doesn’t take a lot of work to get to there all the same. It’s just a different means of marketing for a different era is all, really.
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift--that is why it's called the present."

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Farerb » October 9th, 2023, 6:09 am

DreamWorks Animation Laying Off 70 Employees
https://variety.com/2023/film/news/drea ... 235748769/

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by EricJ » October 9th, 2023, 1:06 pm

Dacey wrote:
October 7th, 2023, 3:35 pm
Well…Ben’s being just a little harsh on influencers.
A LITTLE.
I know "influencers", ie. YouTube movie reactors, have pretty much supplanted much of streaming TV for me, but not movies.

DreamWorks was basically hit by two problems:
1) The pandemic-era studio fascination with streaming, where the In-Home Premiere market soon became exclusively for family films, and non-Disney/Pixar competitors like Universal and Warner found they could make more money selling vacation animateds like Trolls and Scoob directly door-to-door with parents, instead of fighting big blockbusters for viewers in cineplexes,
(Although Paw Patrol's sudden "magic" box office success might temporarily turn the chicken-bones of studio Box Office Voodoo in another direction),

and
2) Although Universal has to make some defensive monetization to justify buying Dreamworks at its clearance sale, isn't it time...FINALLY time...to admit that while DreamWorks may have been the Shrek 00's, it's just not the Ruby Gillman 20's anymore?
All things must pass, and c'mon: Let's be honest with ourselves about whether Shrek really was funny in the first place, or were we all just in a nasty mood?

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Randall » October 9th, 2023, 3:47 pm

Don't ask me. I was never much of a Shrek fan.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Farerb » October 9th, 2023, 4:48 pm

Randall wrote:
October 9th, 2023, 3:47 pm
Don't ask me. I was never much of a Shrek fan.
Same. The only DreamWorks movie I like is The Prince of Egypt.

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dacey » October 9th, 2023, 5:50 pm

I love Shrek. And DreamWorks has had plenty of commercial and critical hits, including two last year alone! Enough of this false narrative already. It’s so boring and has been for a very long time. :(
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift--that is why it's called the present."

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by EricJ » October 9th, 2023, 7:24 pm

Dacey wrote:
October 9th, 2023, 5:50 pm
And DreamWorks has had plenty of commercial and critical hits, including two last year alone!
...DRINK! :wink:
Farerb wrote:
October 9th, 2023, 4:48 pm
\Same. The only DreamWorks movie I like is The Prince of Egypt.
Yeah, but that's their pre-Sinbad 2-D days. Doesn't count.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » October 9th, 2023, 7:51 pm

Tradigital actually was used in POE: what about the Red Sea? And like Dacey said, many DWA films, (classically animated or not) have been outstanding.

I loved Shrek 1 and 2 at the time, and even though I kind of “outgrew” them, I still get a kick out of watching occasionally. Third was putrid (even with some good gags here and there) but Forever After is just plain fun. So what if we enjoy DWA films, EVERYONE is entitled to their opinion. :)
Last edited by ShyViolet on October 9th, 2023, 8:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!