AV Founder

Re: The state and future of animation

Post by Ben » September 2nd, 2021, 4:46 pm

I bet they loved that newfangled Lion King… :roll:

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by GeffreyDrogon » September 2nd, 2021, 6:21 pm

Let's change the subject here. If he actually studied animation and storytelling, do you think Goro Miyazaki would actually be a decent filmmaker?

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by GeffreyDrogon » September 2nd, 2021, 6:30 pm

Also, some of my sisters have seen The Lion King remake, though some of them haven't (based on what I've heard).

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » September 2nd, 2021, 9:12 pm

GeffreyDrogon wrote:
September 2nd, 2021, 6:21 pm
If he actually studied animation and storytelling, do you think Goro Miyazaki would actually be a decent filmmaker?
Ouch! Something Jar Jar Binks once said, quite often in fact, comes to mind here…

GeffreyDrogon wrote:
September 2nd, 2021, 6:30 pm
Also, some of my sisters have seen The Lion King remake, though some of them haven't.
Okay, good, well…that narrows things down…

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by EricJ » September 3rd, 2021, 3:05 pm

GeffreyDrogon wrote:
September 2nd, 2021, 6:21 pm
Let's change the subject here. If he actually studied animation and storytelling, do you think Goro Miyazaki would actually be a decent filmmaker?
Tales From Earthsea and Up From Poppy Hill were.....decent, but as Ghibli successors go, Goro's not only no Hayao Miyazaki, he's no Hiromasa "Secret World of Arietty" Yonebayashi.

He's just....decent. :?

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by GeffreyDrogon » September 3rd, 2021, 6:11 pm

How about Earwig and the Witch?

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » September 3rd, 2021, 9:26 pm

That’s what we all thought…

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by EricJ » September 3rd, 2021, 9:32 pm

GeffreyDrogon wrote:
September 3rd, 2021, 6:11 pm
How about Earwig and the Witch?
You.........don't wanna know. :roll:

But to chalk it down to experience, just say that Studio Ghibli and Robert Zemeckis' "Monster House" don't mix.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Randall » September 4th, 2021, 2:19 am

Earthsea was terrible and aimless. Poppy Hill was actually quite good. But then Earwig disappointed, failing to tell a cohesive story (though it still managed to be entertaining). Overall, Goro ain't the answer to keeping Ghibli going. He is an outsider pretending to be a director.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by GeffreyDrogon » September 4th, 2021, 8:12 pm

Why can't independent animation studios pay big companies taxes in exchange for better marketing and advertising?

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by GeffreyDrogon » September 4th, 2021, 8:13 pm

When it comes to Goro Miyazaki's work, why was From Up on Poppy Hill, a historical film, better received than the two films he adapted from books?

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Randall » September 5th, 2021, 12:00 am

Poppy Hill was simply a much better film. He seemed to have a much stronger handle on the material, perhaps because it was more grounded.

Earthsea was his first feature, and it showed. Badly. No point to it, really. Earwig wasn't too bad, aside from less sophisticated CGI, but the script needed another pass. I just don't think Goro is a strong story guy. Though, even his dad's stories were often crafted on the fly, but at least the dad had stronger story sense.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by EricJ » September 5th, 2021, 2:17 pm

Also, Hayao added a few notes to Poppy Hill, which is why the big pan up of all the wacky busy club students on the balconies looks suspiciously like the bathhouse from Spirited Away....

Earthsea wasn't screen-meltingly bad, or even "dreary", unless you were a hard-core LeGuin geek complaining about books accuracies. For those who hadn't read it, it was just depressing, with a gothy villain constantly musing over death, and our Timothy Dalton wizard showing off more magic-for-pointless-magic's-sake we'd had enough of in Howl's Moving Castle.

And Earwig, like the rubbery "theme-park suit" Robert Zemeckis mocap CGI characters in Monster House, proves that Ghibli is not ready to move to CGI until they understand it. Pixar had plenty of practice with shorts before they leaped into the pool.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » September 5th, 2021, 5:31 pm

I don’t quite get the hate heaped on Goro…apart from him, on a wider scale, not every Ghibli film has been gold, Hayao or not: Howl's Moving Castle was almost interminable, along with The Cat Returns (yes, not a Miyazaki I know). They have a solid track record, but the hits and misses are not always as successful as, say, Pixar, even given some of their sequel outings — not that I would really compare both studios since they go for completely different kinds of topics and audiences, but you get my drift.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by GeffreyDrogon » September 5th, 2021, 5:48 pm

It also didn't help that Tales From Earthsea was a pretty by-the-numbers fantasy film with a misleading title and weak writing with multiple plot holes and a lack of scale in worldbuilding.