The state and future of animation

General Discussions, Polls, Lists, Video Clips and Links
AV Founder
AV Founder

Re: Is the future of animation hopeless?

Post by Ben » June 13th, 2021, 11:24 am

We're all (well, most of us) little more positive and optimistic here. :)

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Randall » June 13th, 2021, 11:46 am

Cartoon Brew takes its lead from its operator, and Amid is a pretty dour fella, or at least he comes off that way online. And like social media, their comments section attracts more pessimists than optimists, who can't be bothered wading into the dirty water.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by droosan » June 13th, 2021, 1:03 pm

I met Amid Amidi a few times when I was in ASIFA Hollywood, at various screenings, back when; he's definitely not as 'abrasive' in person as he often seems to be, online.

I love Amid's animation history books (especially Cartoon Modern) .. and I still have all the issues of his late-90s Animation Blast! fanzine, which preceded the founding of Cartoon Brew. He very definitely knows his stuff. 8)

I was a daily reader of Cartoon Brew for many years, and participated in their comments section, on occasion .. but, yes; I noticed that I was often among the very few positive voices there.

After CB co-founder Jerry Beck split off to form Animation Scoop (and to resurrect his excellent Cartoon Research blog), I continued to read Cartoon Brew daily. Then, after awhile, it became once or twice per week .. then once or twice per month .. and now, I'm not sure how long its been since I last visited. And I'll admit: that's mostly because of the constant 'doom & gloom' projected both in the CB reader comments, and Amid's own biased commentary. :|

I'd stopped participating at the Animation Nation forum -- where I once was very active -- for much the same reasons.

Meanwhile, I still visit Cartoon Research and Animated Views on a daily basis .. where -- as Ben put it -- most of the participants in conversation seem to have a more 'positive' outlook on animation, in general. :)

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » June 13th, 2021, 7:34 pm

:D

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » June 14th, 2021, 2:17 pm

Pretty sure Animation Nation forums have closed down. Tried visiting not so long ago and found no traces. The main hub site still exist, as do their social media. It's not the same, though. I would visit every so often for fun and would look forward to seeing a Droo post and a few others who use to post here regularly, like Christian. Always sad to see a forum or site close up shop.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » June 14th, 2021, 7:12 pm

Don’t jinx us! ;)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Farerb » June 16th, 2021, 4:43 am

I wouldn't be sad if animation died to be honest.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » June 16th, 2021, 1:14 pm

Wow. :shock:

Well, thankfully that’s never going to happen. :mrgreen:

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

20th vs 21st century in animation

Post by GeffreyDrogon » July 5th, 2021, 6:17 pm

Even though there are many debates about which of the times in history produced better animation (20th century vs. 21st century), but when technology pushed the production curve for animation further outwards, why is non-Disney animation more successful nowadays despite a significant drop in quality? For example, why are things like Alpha and Omega, The Emoji Movie, and all those cookie cutter, low-quality live-action-animation hybrids so successful despite not being great movies like The Prince of Egypt, Balto, and Princess Mononoke?

AV Founder
AV Founder

Re: 20th vs 21st century in animation

Post by Ben » July 5th, 2021, 6:37 pm

Because audiences and, by extension, the human race, have become so dumbed down and homogenised that mediocrity is too often accepted and, worse, celebrated.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by GeffreyDrogon » July 5th, 2021, 6:39 pm

How is mediocrity "celebrated"?

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » July 5th, 2021, 6:53 pm

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by GeffreyDrogon » July 5th, 2021, 7:48 pm

I've never seen Avatar.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » July 5th, 2021, 9:25 pm

Ben wrote:
July 5th, 2021, 6:37 pm
Because audiences and, by extension, the human race, have become so dumbed down and homogenised that mediocrity is too often accepted and, worse, celebrated.
This.
You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by GeffreyDrogon » July 6th, 2021, 8:43 pm

I can easily relate to why Balto got a fandom, but I was one of those many duped into falling for a mediocre animated film called Alpha and Omega. I feel sorry that many in that fandom are underserved, yet in need of watching something different (and better).