The state and future of animation

General Discussions, Polls, Lists, Video Clips and Links
AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Re: The state and future of animation

Post by ShyViolet » November 8th, 2021, 2:15 pm

In Hollywood, EVERYTHING is about money. :!:

EDIT: Oops didn’t read it was for small studios. Yeah, that’s more about Awards/prestige.
You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by EricJ » November 8th, 2021, 3:23 pm

No, meant that for small studios, they don't HAVE anything else to develop--
And can either take their chances on another unknown project, or delusionally tell themselves that the public is clamoring for another Swan Princess or Norm of the North as their new house franchise because the first one got a lucky wide release and kids probably noticed it afterwards on video! It's a childhood favorite!
(Suuuure, they did... :roll: )

Or, it could just be that they had to make Nut Job 2 because the first one left so many unanswered questions. :lol:

And I repeat: When even a Wishbone episode has a better grasp of HG Wells' literary themes of "The Time Machine" than his own grand-nephew did...

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dacey » November 14th, 2021, 6:19 pm

Okay, everyone, let's please try to stop the "merry-go-round" we have going on here.

Geff, it's great you're an active member here. But please try to refrain from essentially making the same post repeated times.

Everyone else? Please quit responding when he does. Such posts will be deleted immediately. We love having productive discussions around here...but this is not how we do it.

Thank you. Dacey out.
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift--that is why it's called the present."

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » November 14th, 2021, 7:46 pm

EricJ wrote:
November 8th, 2021, 3:23 pm
When even a Wishbone episode has a better grasp of HG Wells' literary themes of "The Time Machine" than his own grand-nephew did...
(Great-grandson) :)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by GeffreyDrogon » November 17th, 2021, 6:47 am

What caused the end of Don Bluth's dominance over animation? Will he ever attempt to revive his career?

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Farerb » November 17th, 2021, 7:08 am

As far as I know he was a difficult man to get along with and he wasn't pleasant to his workers so nobody wanted to work with him or for him.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by GeffreyDrogon » November 17th, 2021, 7:38 am

Don only focusing on animated films where characters (typically cute ones) struggled to survive in a harsh world was probably another factor.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Farerb » November 17th, 2021, 8:36 am

I'm not sure.. I was never a fan of his films and he used to rely heavily on rotoscoping so his characters always moved weirdly.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by GeffreyDrogon » November 17th, 2021, 10:03 am

I have to agree. It makes no sense how a cat can manage to cram itself into a tiny rat disguise in An American Tail.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » November 17th, 2021, 6:45 pm

Bluth didn’t exactly dominate animation, did he? That’s a stretch!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by EricJ » November 17th, 2021, 6:59 pm

Farerb wrote:
November 17th, 2021, 7:08 am
As far as I know he was a difficult man to get along with and he wasn't pleasant to his workers so nobody wanted to work with him or for him.
And his movies were so bizarre (and not in the good way), they never made back their budgets, and bankrupted almost every studio he formed after An American Tail.

Assuming, by that point, they got salvaged theatrical releases at all, after the fact.
About the only post-Tail film he had that turned a profit was "Anastasia", but then he had to go and do that Bartok video, and Fox had to exploit his name for "Titan AE"...

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by droosan » November 17th, 2021, 7:12 pm

The Land Before Time turned a tidy profit, with a box office take of $84 million; not bad, for the late-1980s.

All Dogs Go To Heaven made considerably less ($27 million; which was still roughly 'double' its $13.8 million budget) .. though, it had the misfortune of opening in the same week as The Little Mermaid.

But, yes; it was all downhill from there, for the remaining Sullivan/Bluth films. :|

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by GeffreyDrogon » November 19th, 2021, 11:09 am

How were Don Bluth's films considered "bizarre"?

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by EricJ » November 19th, 2021, 3:33 pm

droosan wrote:
November 17th, 2021, 7:12 pm
But, yes; it was all downhill from there, for the remaining Sullivan/Bluth films. :|
I've never actually SEEN Rock-a-Doodle or A Troll in Central Park in their entireties except for the funny bad-movie-recap deconstructions on YouTube, and, um...wow. :shock:
I remember seeing Thumbelina in theaters on a bored afternoon, and that seems like dodging a bullet by comparison.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » November 19th, 2021, 6:12 pm

GeffreyDrogon wrote:
November 19th, 2021, 11:09 am
How were Don Bluth's films considered "bizarre"?
Have you *seen* anything between the Spielberg and Fox films…!?

I also remember seeing Thumbelina on a bored afternoon…and was confused from around two minutes in! :lol: