Getting reference in drawing canines

General Discussions, Polls, Lists, Video Clips and Links
AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Re: Getting reference in drawing canines

Post by GeffreyDrogon » September 21st, 2021, 8:33 pm

I don't plan on ripping anything off. It's just hard for me to figure out how a canine's hind legs are like. I've been looking at photos from Roadside Romeo of the anthropomorphic dogs standing on two legs, and I've been looking at pictures of anthropomorphic dogs standing on two legs. Even that simple clipart picture of that husky standing on its hind legs gives me an idea what some canines are like on two legs. That picture of canine handapaw sketches and poses also provides me with good references, I just need to see how they would move and how to keep the leg anatomy consistent.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Randall » September 22nd, 2021, 12:57 am

If you want to see good examples of animal anatomy in motion, check out the photography work of Muybridge - either in book form, or see what you can find online:

https://www.google.com/search?source=un ... 4&dpr=1.47

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by GeffreyDrogon » September 25th, 2021, 4:23 pm

Is this a good reference to dogs standing on two legs?

https://www.123rf.com/photo_54675345_be ... round.html

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » September 25th, 2021, 6:24 pm

Well, it’s a dog standing on two legs, so…

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by GeffreyDrogon » September 28th, 2021, 8:44 pm

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » September 29th, 2021, 6:17 am

Nice…but hardly at all the kind of style you’ve been asking about for what feels like the last few hundred posts…! ;)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by GeffreyDrogon » September 29th, 2021, 6:15 pm

I'm just not that good at drawing canine hind legs, especially in different poses and getting the right shape.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by GeffreyDrogon » May 17th, 2022, 10:17 am

Talking to Pixi-Gags has really been helping me with drawing canines, especially since she(?) has provided me with references for drawing canines in different positions and styles. What I've heard is that she(?) was an animator at Amblimation, working on films like Balto.

This is one of the references I got from Pixi-Gags...

[Link removed for bringing up a 404 Error: Not Found]

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by GeffreyDrogon » May 22nd, 2022, 8:30 pm

A problem I have while drawing is drawing from imagination. I have an idea of how I want my characters to look, but how I put those images down on paper doesn't even look how I want them to be. It's also difficult enough for me to draw smaller images of the characters I create, particularly the eyes and faces. Perspective is a big challenge for me when drawing characters, since drawing smaller images of them with a pencil on paper is difficult. I like drawing, but perspectives for a character, primarily with drawing a character's face and eyes, is difficult for me.

Since I've brought up that I like talking to an animator (Pixi-Gags) online, is it safe for me to share drawings with her to see what she could help me with? I understand that it's a bad idea to fall for a "send us your drawings, and we'll redraw them" thing like with BAM! Animation, but would it help me to share my drawings with an animator to see what can be improved?