Getting reference in drawing canines

General Discussions, Polls, Lists, Video Clips and Links
AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Getting reference in drawing canines

Post by GeffreyDrogon » June 19th, 2021, 6:28 pm

I've been writing some stories that take place on Ethmar, a fictional world I created populated by winged, quadrupedal canines. While they come in different colors, I wonder what is a better way to draw fictional canines while being abstract.

What I am trying to understand is that I am trying to do research on canine anatomy and biology so I can draw my Drogons better. They are fictional and have slightly different anatomy, but the thing is I am trying to study canine biology and anatomy in order to make my drawings better.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Re: Getting reference in drawing canines

Post by Ben » June 19th, 2021, 7:36 pm

I just typed "flying winged dogs" into Google and looked at the images that came up. Might lead to some inspiration or some of the things you’re looking for.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by GeffreyDrogon » June 19th, 2021, 10:29 pm

That's what I originally thought of when I conceived those creatures back in 2014. They have feathered, birdlike wings.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Randall » June 19th, 2021, 10:37 pm

Just throwing this out there, but maybe take a look at dog photos? Lord knows there are plenty of books about dogs, not to mention images online. And if you want a reference for the skeleton and the muscular system, you need a veterinary anatomy atlas. There are even cheap colouring books available for that. Just check an online bookstore, or university bookstore if you have a vet college in town.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by GeffreyDrogon » June 19th, 2021, 10:49 pm

Is watching certain animated movies featuring canines also an idea--to see how certain artists draw them?

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Randall » June 19th, 2021, 10:53 pm

Sure. You can get inspiration from many sources. But the very best way to learn to draw is from life. Learn to draw what is real, and extrapolate from there.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » June 20th, 2021, 4:57 am

And then, y’know, come up with something totally new and unexpected and totally original that no one has ever seen before, and make up your own way of how they look and, more important, move.

If you look at some of the questions you are asking, you’ll find you are giving yourself the answer as you ask them!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Character design: Balto vs. Alpha and Omega

Post by GeffreyDrogon » June 20th, 2021, 4:27 pm

When it comes to character design, especially pertaining to the designs of cartoonish canines, which movie did better with character design: Alpha and Omega, or Balto?

Since I've been tinkering with the designs of my race of fictional canines, I want to see what I could do to make my designs better.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by GeffreyDrogon » June 21st, 2021, 11:20 am

Also, when it comes to canines in animation and how they were designed, what movie did better: Alpha and Omega, or Balto?

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dacey » June 21st, 2021, 5:42 pm

Most people would probably agree Balto.
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift--that is why it's called the present."

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » June 21st, 2021, 6:38 pm

My dog often looks like the Balto poster. ;)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by droosan » June 22nd, 2021, 2:46 am

A very informative book on the topic of drawing & caricaturing animals (including dogs, horses, cats, birds, etc) is The Art of Animal Drawing by Ken Hultgren.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

There are also some helpful drawing tutorials & channels on YouTube. This video by Aaron Blaise (co-director of Brother Bear and an animator of Rajah the tiger in Aladdin, among many other Disney animals) is essentially excerpts from one of his 'paid' instructional art courses .. but there's still plenty of great information you may find interesting within it, as well as in his many other free YouTube videos.

Jump to approximately 2 minutes in, if you wish to skip Mr. Blaise's up-front 'advertising pitch' for the paid course (though, it doesn't hurt to watch it; if only to be polite). :mrgreen:

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by GeffreyDrogon » June 22nd, 2021, 10:18 am

Dacey wrote:
June 21st, 2021, 5:42 pm
Most people would probably agree Balto.
I agree.
The title character from Balto looks like a wolf, even though he is a wolfdog. On the other hand, Humphrey from Alpha and Omega doesn't have an appealing character design. He has a scrawny build with a disproportionately large neck and chest, a face that looks fat or with cheeks that look swollen when his mouth is closed or not opened wide, and weird eyebrows that extend from the edges of his face.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by GeffreyDrogon » June 23rd, 2021, 1:05 pm

My Drogons are quadrupedal, but their paws also serve as hands, so I wonder how I should draw them?

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Creating and Designing a great character

Post by GeffreyDrogon » June 23rd, 2021, 9:37 pm

Sorry about that. I deleted the post.
Last edited by GeffreyDrogon on June 24th, 2021, 11:48 am, edited 1 time in total.