Getting reference in drawing canines

General Discussions, Polls, Lists, Video Clips and Links
AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Re: Getting reference in drawing canines

Post by GeffreyDrogon » July 9th, 2021, 12:55 pm

The difference is that the character I am creating has pointy ears. I am wondering where glasses would go on him.

I also did look at pictures of Mr. Peabody for reference, and his glasses go across the bases of his ears.

...By the way, how do you post an image on here?

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » July 9th, 2021, 4:39 pm

I think the widely used version of pointy ear dogs wearing glasses is to have straight frames just holding the glasses on the dog's head, under the ears.

For image posting you’ll need to host the image somewhere, or have the link to it, and then insert it using the "insert image" icon on the "full editor" posting page (the icon that looks like a mountain with the sun), but again, I wouldn’t start posting your own work here or anywhere online.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » July 15th, 2021, 2:31 pm

Howsabout the way it was done for Toby Turtle from Walt Disney's Robin Hood:

That way you wouldn't have to worry about the temples placement. Food for thought.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » July 15th, 2021, 5:44 pm

Not sure if Chicken Little was mentioned yet…?

https://disney.fandom.com/wiki/Chicken_ ... character)
You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » July 15th, 2021, 5:44 pm

I don’t see the porpoise of that…

:lol:

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by GeffreyDrogon » July 15th, 2021, 8:17 pm

Sorry. I accidentally shared a link to the page I found the picture of Mr. Peabody from.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by GeffreyDrogon » July 25th, 2021, 3:00 pm

Ben wrote:
July 2nd, 2021, 4:54 pm
You only submitted a character design, right? And not the whole treatment? I hope!

You should be fine. If you continue to try to develop your property and it goes somewhere then you will need to prove that you came up with all elements and designs before the date you submitted them to the site. There is no need to axe anything you’ve done so far, but it may be worth talking to, or surrounding yourself, with someone or people that might be a little more au fait with this kind of thing. A lot of it is just reasonable sense.
The thing that's hard for me is that I've been having a difficulty in writing the story involving Geffrey MacAustin, but the prequel about his father has been a much easier process for me. However, I am still worried about what might happen to my stories, though.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » July 25th, 2021, 7:51 pm

Ben wrote:
July 2nd, 2021, 4:54 pm
If you continue to try to develop your property…it may be worth talking to, or surrounding yourself, with someone or people that might be a little more au fait with this kind of thing.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

The Purpose of Distinguishing Character and Object from Backgrounds

Post by GeffreyDrogon » July 26th, 2021, 6:39 pm

I am wondering, in animation, why are objects that get used or characters of a different quality than the backgrounds they're against? I know this is common in hand-drawn animated films, but how does that apply in CGI as well? When you make an animation in CGI, do you must make a distinction between the characters onscreen and (the) background (objects)? Would I have to apply this to my work?

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Randall » July 27th, 2021, 12:32 am

I'd say that's pretty wide open. It's all a matter of personal style.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by GeffreyDrogon » August 6th, 2021, 4:14 pm

I want to think about giving my Drogons manes that are different from a typical canine, but not too humanlike or like anime. How do I do that?

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by GeffreyDrogon » August 6th, 2021, 4:17 pm

My Drogons also use their front paws like hands and can stand up when needed, though they prefer to walk on all fours most of the time, so what would their anatomy be like?

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by GeffreyDrogon » August 11th, 2021, 8:15 pm

Is it okay to get inspiration from actual canines, and deviate from that to create a fictional canine that looks different? What I am saying is that my Drogons are typically bipedal, but they occasionally stand up on two feet if needed.