Wonderful World of Disney host?

General Discussions, Polls, Lists, Video Clips and Links
AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » August 7th, 2006, 1:22 pm

And besides, it'll always be EuroDisney for kost of us Brits... Wink

I loved it when the Simpsons poked fun at "Euro Itchy and Scratchy Land."

Professor Frink: Wow, if things are bad here, I'd hate to think about what's happening in Euro Itchy and Scratchy Land.

Cut to: Euro I & S Land

The parking lot is completely empty:

Ticket Seller: (with French accent) "Hello....Itchy and Scratchy Land open for business. Who are you to resist it, eh? C'mon, my last paycheck bounced!"

:roll:
Last edited by ShyViolet on August 7th, 2006, 6:32 pm, edited 2 times in total.
You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Wonderlicious » August 7th, 2006, 5:19 pm

Or Euro Krustyland. But as Mr Brown said, it blew up.
-Joe

[i]GIRL: Do you know the way to the Magic Kingdom?
PETER PAN: Sure I do...but can you [b]fly?[/b][/i]
-Scary Disney World TV ad circa '71

[b][url=http://www.dvdaficionado.com/dvds.html?cat=1&sub=All&id=big_joe]My DVD List[/url][/b]

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » August 12th, 2006, 7:13 am

Whoever the new host is, they'll have to beat out this:

:wink:
Last edited by ShyViolet on October 20th, 2006, 12:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » October 20th, 2006, 12:17 am

Personally, I feel Bob Iger should step up and host the show. One of the really important things Eisner did was to identify himself with Disney so people know there is someone at the helm, and know who that is. It was easier to get excited by Disney in those days 'cause you'd be like "Disney! Wow! They're making new movies! They've got new parks! And that Michael Eisner guy hosts the Sunday Night movie!"

I mean if Iger only stays in the background like he's doing now, people are just going to think of him as another "suit" like Ron Miller et. al. I don't that's good for him or the company. But that's just me.
But as Mr Brown said, it blew up.
Oh, do you mean "Mr. Black" from the Camp Krusty episode? :P

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by James » October 20th, 2006, 1:27 am

Bad idea! As great as Iger will be for the company, he is not a very good public speaker.

And let me add, I'm shocked that I like Iger so much. I was worried he was just going to be a Eisner shill but he has really stepped up as an individual - maybe too much so with some of Hollywood.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » October 20th, 2006, 1:42 am

Bad idea! As great as Iger will be for the company, he is not a very good public speaker.
Neither was Eisner...he had to take lessons with a voice coach and it was difficult for him at first...but he ended up doing a decent job IMO.

BTW, Bob Iger used to be a weatherman on ABC before he was promoted! :) I think you need to know how to speak well for a job like that. I think it just takes practice.

A strong RECOGNIZABLE, leader does wonders for a corp. Look at Steve Jobs--everyone knows him. Even Bill Gates, who looks like a total nerd, helped Microsoft by becoming a quasi-celebrity. Disney needs this type of recognition more than any other company.

Unless they decide to have Lassetter do it...but then he might not want to be identified so readily as a "Disney" guy, rather than Pixar. :?

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by James » October 20th, 2006, 2:10 am

That must have been one awful forecast! ;)

Maybe he is better with a script. I've seen him about three times giving an off-the-cuff speech. It was stiff, rambling, repetitive, and kinda embarrassing to watch! What's cool about him though is that even in the bad speeches he comes across as knowledgeable and kind of cool - almost.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » October 20th, 2006, 6:16 am

I still think Ratzenberg could be a very good face for the Disney company. He's blue-collar enough to go down well with the everyman and yet personable enough to not put off the pompous!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » October 20th, 2006, 8:51 pm

Speaking of Iger, I saw a picture of him from around the mid or late '90s in the book The Keys to the Kingdom

Oh my G-d. :shock:

The man has lost an INSANE amount of weight. He looked perfectly fine then, but he got much, much skinnier. :? Trust me, it's VERY noticable.

Wonder if it has to do with all the stress of being Eisner's no. 2, and then ascending to CEO?

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » October 21st, 2006, 2:49 am

I still think Ratzenberg could be a very good face for the Disney company. He's blue-collar enough to go down well with the everyman and yet personable enough to not put off the pompous!
Yeah but apart from his little cameos in Pixar films, it's not like he actually works at Disney. The really good thing about Eisner hosting the show was that he really did run the company, he was someone you could directly identify with WDFA like Walt. I mean, John Ratzenberger, he's a good guy and all...but it's not like he actually has anything to do with running Disney. Anyway, he's always been a Pixar guy, hasn't he?

At least Lassetter is the official head of Disney animation and is involved with making actual decisions--as is Iger, or even Dick Cook. I think anyone of those guys would be better. Anyway, I think as soon as average people (as opposed to animation fans) see Ratzenberger, the first thing they'll say is: "Hey, wasn't that guy on Cheers?" :roll:

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » October 23rd, 2006, 7:36 am

I was also going by his Disney Channel appearances, which would be an obvious progression.

Don't forget that Disney was a smaller company back when Eisner took the TV job too. I would doubt that Iger would have the time. Lasseter is a good speaker, but why not Ratzenberger? He would fit like a glove, has the time to make as many intros and special appearances as is needed, and is a recognisable face that would play as well as he does on his Pixar (now Disney anyway) slots.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » October 23rd, 2006, 5:13 pm

Don't forget that Disney was a smaller company back when Eisner took the TV job too. I would doubt that Iger would have the time. Lasseter is a good speaker, but why not Ratzenberger? He would fit like a glove, has the time to make as many intros and special appearances as is needed, and is a recognisable face that would play as well as he does on his Pixar (now Disney anyway) slots.
I see your points Ben. I just feel (and this is just my opinion) that Ratzenberger represents Pixar more than he does Disney. At least Lassetter IS head of Disney Feature now. And he's worked at Disney before.

Ratzenberger? He's been in a bunch of Pixar films, but it's not like he ever did a voice in Meet the Robinsons, Chicken Little or Atlantis, etc...He's a PIXAR guy. I think we were once discussing more than a year ago whether or not Ratzenberger would return to the Toy Story world even if Pixar left Disney and Disney decided to do TS 3. He said on record, I think, that he wouldn't, that his loyalty is to Pixar, that he plays on their softball team, etc....So in my mind...that makes him a Pixar guy, not Disney.

Although techinically, I guess it would makes sense since he's been on ABC and on the Disney channel.

:wink:

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dacey » October 23rd, 2006, 6:13 pm

But Pixar IS Disney now. Don't forget that, Vi. ;)
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift--that is why it's called the present."

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » October 23rd, 2006, 9:40 pm

Yes, in name. But in spirit....? :roll: *shrugs shoulders* They've got a long way to go.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » October 24th, 2006, 4:04 pm

Just wondering: what did you guys think of Eisner's hosting abilities in that youtube Christmas piece? :)