Wonderful World of Disney host?

General Discussions, Polls, Lists, Video Clips and Links
AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dacey » October 24th, 2006, 5:47 pm

I have that piece on tape, so I didn't bother watching it.

It always struck me as cute. :)
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift--that is why it's called the present."

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » October 24th, 2006, 8:22 pm

I liked it. :wink: I think he did a good job. He's certainly not the greatest actor, but he had charm and presence.
You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » October 24th, 2006, 8:28 pm

He sure was Vi :wink:

But, you stole what I was gonna say...... Gosh darnet j/k :P

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » October 24th, 2006, 10:05 pm

But, you stole what I was gonna say...... Gosh darnet j/k Razz
Aw, sorry DJ. :wink:

But I still think Iger should get some acting lessons and consider being host. I think one reason Eisner lasted so long (other than power-plays of course) is that he kind of manufactured himself as a quasi-celebrity, someone who is truly LINKED with the company. How can you argue with a guy who talks to Mickey Mouse every Sunday Night? :wink: He developed this untouchable "Uncle Walt" or in this case "Uncle Mike" persona. Maybe it wasn't completely true to say the least, but it worked. It was only when he stopped making so many public and television appearnces and lost that "human" touch that things began to go wrong for him. (OK, it was other things too, but I think this played a part)

Fans hated Eisner because they saw him as a heartless, ice-cold "suit" who was destroying Walt Disney's dream or something. But he lasted for 20 years, I think largely in part to his "magic" link to Mickey/Walt. People love Iger now, but what if the stock goes down in five years? Not to be harsh, but how big a deal will it be for American audiences if "Uncle Bob Iger" gets replaced? How many people actually cared (or even knew about) Ron Miller getting replaced? You see what I mean?

No one might remember it now but in 1984 many Disney-watchers doubted the choice of an "executive" (as opposed to a member of Disney's family) from the super-successful Paramount taking over Walt's company...Eisner dispelled many of those feelings by his hosting duties.
You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » October 24th, 2006, 11:23 pm

That's ok Vi :wink:

But seriously, Iger needs some acting and he'll be just fine.

You enjoy talking about Eisner, don't ya Vi? :wink: that was to much Eisnerish :?.

I surely won't miss him hosting TWWOF, I kinda cringed everytime he made an appearance, I don't know why :? I would rather Leonard Maltin I'm a big fan of his :wink:

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » October 29th, 2006, 1:45 am

I kinda cringed everytime he made an appearance, I don't know why
He was pretty awkward at it, which IMO is what makes it entertaining. If he was a seasoned actor it wouldn't be half as interesting. It's just so funny because he's obvioiusly trying to "play along" with something he really had no idea how to do. And (especially towards the end his reign) a lot of the charm faded and he came across with this mixure of cold aggressiveness and fake geniality which was actually....kinda scary. :?

Leonard Maltin is cool but he's just so...conventional. I don't mean he's bad. But there's nothing that really "stands out" about him. He's a great animation historian though.

And the best Leonard Maltin riff ever was that time he was portrayed on
South Park! In real life he was very cool with it; he actually really liked it. :wink:

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » October 29th, 2006, 3:05 pm

Maltin is a cool guy, but not right to present a weekly show. His job as studio historian presenter suits him fine.

"Uncle Bob" - I like the sound of that! :)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Wonderlicious » October 29th, 2006, 4:57 pm

Ben wrote:"Uncle Bob" - I like the sound of that! :)
Well, it's a pretty quick and easy title to say...as a matter of fact, you can say it faster than saying that Bob's your uncle. ;)

But my uncle's name isn't Bob... :roll:
-Joe

[i]GIRL: Do you know the way to the Magic Kingdom?
PETER PAN: Sure I do...but can you [b]fly?[/b][/i]
-Scary Disney World TV ad circa '71

[b][url=http://www.dvdaficionado.com/dvds.html?cat=1&sub=All&id=big_joe]My DVD List[/url][/b]

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » October 29th, 2006, 8:16 pm

Ben wrote:Maltin is a cool guy, but not right to present a weekly show. His job as studio historian presenter suits him fine.
Eh.... Maybe your right :? I just enjoy his appearences on ET (Entertainment Tonight) and the Walt Disney Treasures. He makes them better by being so open :P
Ben wrote: "Uncle Bob" - I like the sound of that! :)
I second that :wink: its better than "Uncle Eisner" :x

Couldn't resist :wink:

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » October 30th, 2006, 9:01 am

From the New York Post T'Iger story on the News page:
BAD opening sentence, but then it is the Post... :P

October 29, 2006 -- Disney CEO Bob Iger doesn't have a MySpace page....
He doesn't??

He looks more like Ron Miller in that photo than ever. Hmmm, maybe it's not too late to be "Uncle Bob"! :wink:

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » October 30th, 2006, 2:30 pm

:shock: didn't see that coming.... He doesn't have a myspace!! How dare he :roll:

Their running out of news as proof of this, next time 'George Bush doesn't have a myspace' :?

Vi you seem to really want Uncle Bob right? :wink:

Ya me to!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » October 31st, 2006, 9:39 pm

Vi you seem to really want Uncle Bob right?

Ya me to!
Yeah, Bob should be hanging out with Mickey more! And not the CGI one. :x

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » November 1st, 2006, 6:14 am

Well, he's got Oswald too now, y'know. Maybe he prefers wabbits? ;)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » November 2nd, 2006, 2:35 am

Ben wrote:Well, he's got Oswald too now, y'know. Maybe he prefers wabbits? ;)
That's so true, I forgot all about Oswald. Hopefully Disney re-introduces him in a good way.

Wabbits :? Are you Elmer Fudd :P

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » November 2nd, 2006, 8:03 am

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha... ;)