Saturday Morning Cartoons Comic Ads!

General Discussions, Polls, Lists, Video Clips and Links
AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Re: Saturday Morning Cartoons Comic Ads!

Post by Daniel » May 13th, 2022, 2:55 pm

The broken images kind of take away from it, but yeah. I definitely circled Christmas films and still do!

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » May 13th, 2022, 5:01 pm

Think the images just need time to load…they appeared in the end for me.

Cool, fairly Brit-centric list! A lot of this was basically my sister and I in the 80s…! ;)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by gaastra » May 13th, 2022, 5:47 pm

Photos don't work well? They work just fine for me.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by gaastra » May 15th, 2022, 9:08 pm

Hope these work.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by EricJ » May 15th, 2022, 10:10 pm

30 Minutes? And that all-Filmation CBS lineup, even without Shazam/Isis!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by droosan » May 15th, 2022, 10:29 pm

I do appreciate the The Fonz & The Happy Days Gang shout out. I've said here before that Cupcake was a longtime favorite character (and -- as Daniel mentioned -- she was my avatar here, for a couple years). I was very pleased to finally get the complete cartoon series on DVD, a few years back. :)

A couple of my favorite 'Saturday Morning lineup' comic book ads ..
CBS_SatAM_1982.jpg
CBS_SatAM_1982.jpg (162.25 KiB) Viewed 4150 times
This one got my attention for Pandamonium! and Meatballs & Spaghetti -- two shows created by Marvel Productions for CBS, both of which became instant favorites of mine.

I'd be all over a DVD release of either..! :mrgreen:

Pandamonium! was one of those shows which sets-up an overall premise in its main title that promises a storyline with a definite conclusion .. but then (frustratingly) never delivers a 'finale'. tF&tHDG suffers from this, as well .. as do a number of SatAM cartoons. :|

However, the panda characters have fun personalites, and the humor was well 'left of center'.

Meatballs & Spaghetti was just plain fun; I liked the characters, and the format of the show was pretty similar to Josie & The Pussycats (another longtime favorite) and other 'rock band-focused' cartoons. Their songs were kinda forgettable fluff .. but -- here again -- the show's humor was 'off-kilter' enough to keep things breezy and enjoyable. 8)

M&S' anthropomorphic dog was named 'Chopper' .. which was the original name of Fonzie's dog 'Mr. Cool' (according to early H-B model sheets) .. I've sometimes wondered if someone might've been involved with the development of both shows.

CBS_SatAM_1980.jpg
CBS_SatAM_1980.jpg (179.62 KiB) Viewed 4150 times
This one got me excited to see Drak Pack .. but I recall that -- ultimately -- the actual cartoon didn't live-up to the stories I'd imagined for these characters, based on their very expressive poses in this ad (though, those are admittedly difficult to see, in this image).

DP did get a DVD release of the complete series, awhile back .. but only in Canada, IIRC.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Randall » May 16th, 2022, 12:30 am

Aw, the memories!! I loved those ads back in the day.

Man, I'd love a Super 7 DVD set!!!

I never watched those Marvel Animation shows. I vaguely recall Pandamonium being on, but have no memory at all of M&S. I know I saw that ad, but never paid attention to that part of it! I was only interested in the Gilligan revival.

That last ad really intrigued me back then. I did like Drac Pack, and bought the DVD set, though I've barely watched it so far. I was also excited for Tarzan and Lone Ranger, too. Plus, Popeye, and Mighty Mouse/Heckle and Jeckle! And Fat Albert with the Brown Hornet!! I love all those classic characters. CBS really had it going on that year!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by gaastra » May 16th, 2022, 7:33 am

Funny thing about mighty mouse is they took the great space chase segments and to cash in on empire strike back released them in theatres as a "movie" mighty mouse and the great space chase!

And no the movie has not been released on dvd in america. It did get two vhs releases however.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Randall » May 16th, 2022, 9:46 am

I do have a bootleg of that on DVD. At least it's somethin'.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » May 16th, 2022, 3:25 pm

droosan wrote:
May 15th, 2022, 10:29 pm
DP did get a DVD release of the complete series, awhile back .. but only in Canada, IIRC.
Nah, the US too. Canada just got it first!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by EricJ » May 16th, 2022, 5:30 pm

Wait, what?? Where are all these ads advertising CBS shows at 12-1:30pm?
I remember, anything after noon were the shows you almost never got to WATCH, because it was considered "cannon-fodder", since there was a 2 in 3 chance the show would be pre-empted for the city sports teams.

That was where CBS put all its "highbrow" older-kid shows in the 70's, like 30 Minutes or the CBS Children's International Film Festival, and ABC dumped all its educational-requirement shows like the Weekend Special.
(Never watched the CCIFF, since they only showed thirty condensed/serialized minutes of something foreign, like "The Red Balloon" or "A Kid For Two Farthings", and now my older film-buff self wants to find out what it missed.)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by gaastra » May 16th, 2022, 5:33 pm

Speaking of saturday preview specials--

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » May 16th, 2022, 10:06 pm

Still have my Great Space Chase VHS! While not up to the original Terry cartoons, it was quite fun as I recall. :)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by gaastra » May 18th, 2022, 10:16 am

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » May 18th, 2022, 12:18 pm

I love these.