Why does the Wilhelm Scream keep bothering me?

General Discussions, Polls, Lists, Video Clips and Links
AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Why does the Wilhelm Scream keep bothering me?

Post by GeffreyDrogon » July 12th, 2023, 11:48 am

A thing that makes it hard for me to watch certain movies is the Wilhelm Scream. I know it's a one-second sound effect often used as an inside joke, and is almost always only used once in movies that do use it, but I always freeze up when I hear it. I find it hard to enjoy movies that use that sound effect, like Star Wars or Indiana Jones, and I sacrifice having to enjoy the sound of great action scenes just to avoid hearing it.

The same applies to a lot of other sound effects that I recognize in movies, and it gets hard for me to enjoy them because I recognize so many sound effects.

How do I get over this?

AV Founder
AV Founder

Re: Why does the Wilhelm Scream keep bothering me?

Post by Ben » July 12th, 2023, 7:31 pm

Don’t watch any more action movies…?

Or any more movies…?

Or just learn to appreciate that you’re in on the in-joke and laugh along with it. Maybe even start a drinking game and take a shot every time you hear something you recognise. Then you won’t care what’s on any soundtrack!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by GeffreyDrogon » July 12th, 2023, 8:39 pm

That's an idea!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by lisamartin » October 30th, 2023, 4:33 am

I understand that the Wilhelm Scream and other recognizable sound effects can be bothersome for you while watching movies. It's natural to have certain preferences and sensitivities when it comes to audio elements in films. To get over this, you could try focusing on other aspects of the movie that you enjoy, such as the storyline, cinematography, or performances. Additionally, exploring different genres or films that are less likely to use these sound effects might help you find new rice purity test movies to enjoy.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by James » October 30th, 2023, 10:28 pm

It sounds like you have a strong reaction to certain sound effects, such as the Wilhelm Scream, that can take you out of the movie-watching experience. While it's not uncommon to have preferences or sensitivities that affect your enjoyment of media, there are a few strategies you can try to help you get over this reaction and enjoy movies more:

- Exposure therapy: Gradually expose yourself to movies that use these sound effects. Start with films that use them sparingly or where they are less prominent. As you become more accustomed to hearing these sounds, they may lose their power to disrupt your enjoyment.

- Distract yourself: When you anticipate a sound effect you dislike, try to focus on other aspects of the movie, like the storyline, characters, or cinematography. Engaging with other elements of the film can help you shift your attention away from the sound effect.

- Educate yourself: Learn about the history and purpose of certain sound effects in films. Understanding that the Wilhelm Scream, for example, is often used as an inside joke or homage by filmmakers might make it feel less intrusive and more like an Easter egg.

- Use noise-canceling headphones or adjust the volume: If you're watching movies at home, consider using noise-canceling headphones. This can help you control the sounds you hear and minimize the impact of the offending sound effects. Alternatively, you can experiment with adjusting the volume during those specific moments.

- Customized movie-watching experiences: Try watching fan-edited versions of movies that remove or replace the sound effects you find troubling. Some fans create alternate versions of movies without these effects.

- Discuss your feelings with friends or a therapist: Talking about your aversion to specific sound effects and exploring the reasons behind it can be helpful. Friends or a therapist can provide support, insight, or guidance on how to manage your reactions.

- Relaxation techniques: Before and during a movie, practice relaxation techniques like deep breathing or mindfulness to reduce anxiety or tension associated with the sound effects.

- Experiment with different genres: If certain genres tend to use these sound effects more often, consider exploring different genres of films that may not rely on them as much.

Remember, everyone has their own unique preferences and sensitivities when it comes to media consumption. It's okay to have your own preferences, but if you want to enjoy a wider range of movies, these strategies can help you become more comfortable with the sound effects that bother you.

This post was written by ChatAVbot

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » October 31st, 2023, 5:36 am

I think Geff was actually sorted back in July. Yeah, I should have deleted that "comment" too! ;)

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by James » October 31st, 2023, 7:40 am

As an experiment, I plugged GeffreyDrogon's original comment into ChatGPT as a question, and the block of text I posted was its answer. Sure enough, almost the entirety of “lisamartin’s”comment is in the AI's response as well.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » October 31st, 2023, 11:17 am

At this point…cue the Wilhelm Scream! :lol:

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by GeffreyDrogon » October 31st, 2023, 8:00 pm

Personally, I don't understand why so many people still think this is funny after almost 50 years since Star Wars came out. People must have a sick sense of humor if they think a genuine cry of pain is funny.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » November 1st, 2023, 5:44 am

Er…genuine?

Actor Sheb Wooley recorded that during an afternoon voiceover session for the 1951 film Distant Drums. It was then lumped into the Warners sound library and used as a stock effect.

When constructing Star Wars' sound design, Ben Burtt remembered it from any number of films in the 50s onwards and tracked down that original session, naming it the Wilhelm Scream after its use in a 1953 film where the character of Private Wilhelm gets shot in the leg.

It is not real. It is a stock effect, still under copyright, and a license must be paid for its use. It continues to be done so as the in-joke referred to previously, since it’s one of the most identifiable stock effects and if you know, you know.

No one was harmed in the making of this stock sound effect. :lol:

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by GeffreyDrogon » November 17th, 2023, 10:04 pm

I actually listened to the original recording of the Wilhelm Scream, and I guess you're right.

Apparently, my apparent phobia of that sound has to with a condition I have in my Autism called hyperacusis. Listening to that recording session has helped me, now I just need to train myself not to psyche myself out when a movie with the WS is on in the background.

I personally don't think the Wilhelm Scream matches with Tim Allen's voice, though.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » November 18th, 2023, 3:39 am

No, but Buzz Lightyear would absolutely make that sound.

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dan » November 18th, 2023, 4:38 pm

Now any time someone mentions the Wilhelm Scream, my mind wanders to darker territory. This doc I watched a bit ago opened mentioning the extended use of the Wilhelm Scream as a lead in to the intended subject, the "Oof!" sound popular in Roblox. It ended up morphing into an insane rabbit hole regarding a high-profile video game composer and insanity of his lies. The poor chap who made the doc was dressed appropriately.