What is quality protection for DVDs?

General Discussions, Polls, Lists, Video Clips and Links
AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

What is quality protection for DVDs?

Post by GeffreyDrogon » November 12th, 2023, 10:06 pm

I've noticed that on some DVDs, there's a "Digital Deluxe" or a "CP Macrovision" thing after the credits play, especially on DVDs of Universal movies or shows. What is that supposed to mean?

AV Founder
AV Founder

Re: What is quality protection for DVDs?

Post by Ben » November 13th, 2023, 4:06 am

It is copyright protection of a decent quality status.

Totally redundant now, Macrovision was the company that created the way VHS and DVDs could be "copy protected" (hence the name) from being pirated. It used a method of "interrupting" the tape or signal pulse so that a corresponding recorder would not be able to lock onto it, resulting in am unwatchable analog dupe and, in the case of DVD telling the other machine to "go away" in no uncertain terms.

Of course there were always ways and means around these if you were to pony up for some extra (non-cheap) equipment, and more and more I don’t think the studios bother to even license this anymore as everything is so readily available and "easy" to rip-off digitally now that it’s kind of a losing battle. The only reason Disney started putting out the D+ shows on disc now is that they want to fight the many pirate copies already floating around out there.

You will have seen MV or CP logos on practically all the VHS tapes back in the day, and on most DVDs and Blu-rays even up to fairly recently (I guess technically it might even still be being used). All this is probably better explained by a Google search… :)