Oral history for 30th anniversary of We’re Back!

General Discussions, Polls, Lists, Video Clips and Links
AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Oral history for 30th anniversary of We’re Back!

Post by ShyViolet » November 24th, 2023, 3:12 pm

https://www.syfy.com/syfy-wire/were-bac ... nniversary

I saw this when it came out in the 90s! I really loved it and still do. :)

(Wish 📻 still my favorite scene.)
You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

AV Founder
AV Founder

Re: Oral history for 30th anniversary of We’re Back!

Post by Ben » November 24th, 2023, 8:25 pm

We're Back! A Dinosaur's Story has a great *look* to it, but the film goes nowhere! It is, however, completely batty, random and nonsensical that it’s kind of loveable for those reasons. I do remember spotting the Spielberg "cameo", though, and took delight in pausing it to show my friends when we got the widescreen LaserDisc way back in the day!

I’ll look forward to reading this; it’ll be immensely interesting at the very least! :)

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Randall » November 25th, 2023, 8:17 am

I finally watched this film maybe a year ago. Yeah, it's... different. But I really enjoyed seeing it. I'll look forward to reading that article. Thanks!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » November 25th, 2023, 2:56 pm

No problem! :). Hope you guys enjoy!
You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by EricJ » November 25th, 2023, 6:18 pm

Ben wrote:
November 24th, 2023, 8:25 pm
We're Back! A Dinosaur's Story has a great *look* to it, but the film goes nowhere! It is, however, completely batty, random and nonsensical that it’s kind of loveable for those reasons.
This was early-90s, back before Spielberg and Katzenberg got together to make more DreamWorks Lion King clones, so Spielberg was still on his "Balto"-era Don Bluth and Bluth-clone kick.

I didn't think it was possible to OUT-batty, random, nonsense or psychotically-disturb a genuine Don Bluth film on his own home turf, but dang, then-Spielberg pet writer John Patrick Shanley somehow managed it. :shock:
Every producer that wanted Shanley to write that fabled Next Moonstruck ended up paying a weird price for it...