Disney Pixar Discussion

General Discussions, Polls, Lists, Video Clips and Links
AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Christian » March 14th, 2005, 6:57 pm

Miramax, in my opinion, can stay or go. They are nothing more than a business partner that just so happens to make movies. They have nothing to do with the core identity of The Walt Disney Company.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by askmike1 » March 14th, 2005, 7:10 pm

Christian wrote:Miramax, in my opinion, can stay or go. They are nothing more than a business partner that just so happens to make movies. They have nothing to do with the core identity of The Walt Disney Company.
My opinion exactly. The only reason Disney has Miramax is to have an Oscar contender. With what the Weinsteins have done to it recently, I'm glad it's going back to it's art-house roots.
-Michael
[url=http://www.mainstreetword.com]MSW[/url]

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Josh » March 14th, 2005, 9:09 pm

Miramax still received more nominations than any other studio. The Weinsteins just need to cut back on their budgets. That's the problem.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » March 15th, 2005, 12:16 pm

I thought that the Weinsteins were leaving but that Miramax would stay a Disney label?

Besides, we're now hearing talk that Bob 'n' harvey got on well with Iger, so he may reign them back in. There's also talk of Pixar extending out to talks again, but we'll see...

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Josh » March 15th, 2005, 4:06 pm

Ben wrote:I thought that the Weinsteins were leaving but that Miramax would stay a Disney label?
Yes, thankfully Miramax will stay a Disney label, no matter what. However, with the Weinsteins gone, I am afraid that people will view Miramax as "Disney's Miramax". In other words, they won't respect it anymore, just like nobody seems to respect anything Disney does anymore.

What I mean about the Weisteins providing competition is that:

1) They will be producing more films to compete against Miramax's.
2) Who knows? The Weinsteins could end up at an already well-established art-house studio.

Either way, I feel that people will disregard Miramax, when the Weinsteins leave.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » March 15th, 2005, 5:43 pm

They have already proven, through their Fellowship Adventure Group (anyone else find it funny that it's an acronym for FAG? Oh, oh well) that they are capable of putting out a release and pushing it to awards glory.

I hope Iger is able to strike up some deal with them again.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by askmike1 » March 15th, 2005, 6:01 pm

If the Weinsteins remain like the are now, wanting to make huge budget films and going against what Disney tells them to do (case in point: Farenheit 9/11), I'd rather see them leave. However, if they can agree to make smaller budget films and do what Disney tells them to do, then they should stay.
-Michael

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Kinoo » March 16th, 2005, 5:58 am

to make smaller budget films and do what Disney tells them to do, then they should stay.
in other words, if they don't want to make cheap SHITS for Disney, they better go.. so i agree, the same goes for PIXAR, i better see them make masterpieces without Disney.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Jens » March 16th, 2005, 7:15 am

Kinoo wrote:i better see them make masterpieces without Disney.
I really REALLY don't see them (and don't want to see them) independent or with another distributor. To me, Pixar films are a part of Disney. It would be a great loss for both companies. They need each other (yes they do KinOO :P).
[url=http://www.disneydatabase.com]The Disney Database[/url] - All the Disney Magic in 1 site!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by askmike1 » March 16th, 2005, 4:13 pm

Kinoo wrote:in other words, if they don't want to make cheap SHITS for Disney, they better go.. so i agree, the same goes for PIXAR, i better see them make masterpieces without Disney.
Miramax was an art house studio. That is where its roots are. They are a wing of Disney that makes cheap, small films that win oscars. Who says a cheap film has to be bad. Sure, it won't have Hollywood special effects, but that's not what art films have. They rely on story and acting, not money.

-Michael
-Michael

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Kinoo » March 16th, 2005, 4:27 pm

They need each other
The needED each other, what are the last Disney branded movies that earned millions? Brother Bear, not enough, Home on the Range?? ;D
Seriously, although PIXAR needed Disney to lauch their movies back in the 90's, nowadays, you just have to put "from the creators of Toy Story and Finding Nemo" to get people rush into theatres.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by askmike1 » March 16th, 2005, 4:31 pm

Kinoo wrote:The needED each other, what are the last Disney branded movies that earned millions? Brother Bear, not enough, Home on the Range??
Pretty much all movies make in the millions. If you are talking about hundred millions, then that's different. Anyway, you can't go by B.O. alone. Many movies don't do great at the B.O. but do great either in marketing or DVDs. Brother Bear did very good in Home Video/DVD sales (one reason was because of Rutt & Tukes commentary). Also, animated characters get toys and plush that do really good. I mean look at Stitch, he has invaded almost every part of the company because of his immense popularity.
Kinoo wrote: Seriously, although PIXAR needed Disney to lauch their movies back in the 90's, nowadays, you just have to put "from the creators of Toy Story and Finding Nemo" to get people rush into theatres.
Disney can do the same thing by saying "From the people who brought you..." It is their movies legally.
-Michael

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Josh » March 16th, 2005, 6:21 pm

askmike1 wrote:Miramax was an art house studio. That is where its roots are. They are a wing of Disney that makes cheap, small films that win oscars. Who says a cheap film has to be bad. Sure, it won't have Hollywood special effects, but that's not what art films have. They rely on story and acting, not money.
I agree with you, Mike. I really do. But my point is, do you think the industry will take Miramax as serously with the Weinsteins out of it? I am not saying the quality in Miramax's films will dim, just the award recognition of them.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by askmike1 » March 16th, 2005, 6:37 pm

Mickey A wrote:I agree with you, Mike. I really do. But my point is, do you think the industry will take Miramax as serously with the Weinsteins out of it? I am not saying the quality in Miramax's films will dim, just the award recognition of them.
To that I have to say...I don't know. All we can do is wait and see whether the industry will give Miramax minus Weinsteins a chance.
-Michael

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » March 19th, 2005, 3:14 pm

No.

Miramax WAS Harvey and Bob. Without them the industry will just see Miramax as another Disney label (not that they haven't gone through them: Touchstone, Hollywood, Caravan, Miramax, etc)...

Public perception will be different, of course, but the industry's eyes will have moved on to whatever the brothers do next, and with who...