Demon Slayer The Movie Hit At Overseas Box Office!

Features, Shorts, Live-Action and Direct-To-Video
AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Re: Demon Slayer The Movie Hit At Overseas Box Office!

Post by gaastra » April 20th, 2021, 7:31 am

People in japan confused on why they made a pg-13 film R rated.

https://www.japantimes.co.jp/culture/20 ... r-ratings/

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » April 20th, 2021, 3:34 pm

Paywall. Luckily it loads slow so I was able to read most of it.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by gaastra » April 21st, 2021, 9:27 am

Demon slayer ticket sales now up to $8.5m. Film now expected to make $18-20m in north america!

https://www.reddit.com/r/boxoffice/comm ... with_over/

Edit-our small theatre has just added more showing for demon slayer! The big theatres in the city next to us ALL theatres are now showing it will some having over 12 to 14 showings a day!

Box office mojo now lists it as "wide release" and not limited release!

Crazy!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » April 22nd, 2021, 12:59 pm

Been a while since we've had a close domestic box office!

Oh, and I have seen ads on TV. They play that song by LiSA in the background. She has such a beautiful voice.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by gaastra » April 22nd, 2021, 7:17 pm

Note from deadline--
All we’ve heard since last weekend from exhibition, big and small, is that Demon Slayer is selling out. Buzz is that the anime feature, based on Koyoharu Gotoge’s manga and the 2019 TV series, is outselling New Line’s Mortal Kombat 4-to-1 at AMC. Anecdotally, one dad I spoke with last night told me it was challenge to get tickets for him and his son this weekend to the pic, which is booked at around 1,500 theaters. Demon Slayer will have previews tonight and count Imax and PLF screens in its run before giving them up to Mortal Kombat on Friday.
Demon slayer has outsold mortal kombat 4 to 1 at amc!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by gaastra » April 23rd, 2021, 9:35 am

Still has a 100 score on RT! Up to 12 reviews this time!

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/demon_ ... ugen_train

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » April 23rd, 2021, 3:11 pm

The recap specials are now free like you guessed. Not how I imagined them. Still, I'll give them a watch.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by gaastra » April 23rd, 2021, 9:34 pm

Picked up my demon slayer tickets for saturday. Funny thing is a mom looking woman was standing outside the theatre then asked how to get in as her kids were waiting for her inside! (our amc has a odd front to it) After i told her was surprised when she asked what i was seeing. I told her demon slayer and she said "Heck yeah me to!" Lol. Was not expecting this mom looking lady to say that. It was pretty funny. The place was packed! The guy in front of me had a demon slayer jacket on! Pretty neat. The fight for first place will be fun to see who will win but they said both mortal kombat and demon slayer combined into one is expected to bring $40m to the box office this weekend!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by gaastra » April 24th, 2021, 9:06 am

Interestingly enough, I got a buddy who runs movie theaters out in Los Angeles who said ticket sales for Mortal Kombat and Sony's Demon Slayer anime flick are neck and neck; Demon Slayer currently sits at 100% on Rotten Tomatoes with twelve reviews.
Its going to be so close who wins! Nice to see this at the box office again after a year!

https://cosmicbook.news/mortal-kombat-r ... toes-score

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by gaastra » April 24th, 2021, 11:45 am

The battle is on! Demon slayer wins round one on friday with $9.5m with mortal kombat making $9m friday! It's that close. It's anyones game this weekend! Who are you cheering for?
“Demon Slayer” grossed $9.5 million from 1,598 theaters on Friday, including select Thursday preview screenings, while “Mortal Kombat” grossed just over $9 million from 3,073 locations. Industry estimates currently project “MK” to take the No. 1 spot for the weekend with a $24 million opening total while “Demon Slayer,” which will already rank among the top 10 highest grossing anime films in U.S. history, is estimated for a $20 million opening.
https://www.thewrap.com/mortal-kombatde ... ing-again/

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by gaastra » April 24th, 2021, 9:13 pm

Just got back from demon slayer. Theatre was packed! Some people wore mortal kombat outfits and some in demon slayer ones! Pretty fun to see the fans dressed up.

Most were going to the subtitled big D showing of demon slayer but our dub showing was still full!

Yes there were kids there aw well! Tons of teens also. Other then two quick scenes and curse words that could have been left out there was no reason this film could not have been pg-13! I saw more gore on a episode of csi or ncis or simpsons halloween episodes at 7pm!

Film was really good. They do not recap the series at all so you better see the first season first. Some parts got a big laugh from our showing.

The guy at the theatre said they have been packed all weekend with both films! Our showing was and yes they had a ad for mortal kombat in front of the movie!

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dacey » April 24th, 2021, 9:38 pm

Well, if you dress up for MK, Subzero is already wearing a mask...
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift--that is why it's called the present."

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » April 25th, 2021, 4:14 am

This has all kind of been lost on me, to be honest, but I’m very pleased that a different kind of animated film like this has broken through to compete in this way, and that it has such a huge proponent as gaastra cheering it on! :)

Animation is the one medium where I usually prefer a dub, since you lose so much of the visuals having to read through a film, but I do like to see an original version at some point, as there's definitely a difference in intonation, so it’s also cool to hear that the original subtitled version is getting just as good business as the dub.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by gaastra » April 25th, 2021, 7:58 am

Plus it's a 2d animated film to boot. (there are some cg shots) With detective conan and evo movies crushing it overseas this is a really good time for anime films at the box office. Even if demon slayer comes in second it still had first on friday. That's a huge win for anime fans.

Maybe hollywood will start giving more anime wide releases!