Disney's The Hunchback of Notre Dame (Live-Action)

Features, Shorts, Live-Action and Direct-To-Video
AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Re: Disney's The Hunchback of Notre Dame (Live-Action)

Post by Bill1978 » September 15th, 2021, 6:17 am

This is absolutely fantastic news. Its probably my second favourite Disney score after Beauty and The Beast. I was hoping this would see the light of day one day. Definitely worth the wait. I wonder if there will be a pleasant surprise of the Heaven's Light (Reprise) being incorporated into the corresponding score track (I think it would be Find The Girl??). Now all I would need is a Legacy Release of Hercules to make complete my dream of having the original Menken musical collection complete.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » September 15th, 2021, 4:03 pm

:D

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Farerb » September 17th, 2021, 9:54 am

Bill1978 wrote:
September 15th, 2021, 6:17 am
This is absolutely fantastic news. Its probably my second favourite Disney score after Beauty and The Beast. I was hoping this would see the light of day one day. Definitely worth the wait. I wonder if there will be a pleasant surprise of the Heaven's Light (Reprise) being incorporated into the corresponding score track (I think it would be Find The Girl??). Now all I would need is a Legacy Release of Hercules to make complete my dream of having the original Menken musical collection complete.
It should have been in Escape and it's not there.

And other than Hercules, you'd need Aladdin, Enchanted and Tangled in order to complete the Menken collection.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » September 17th, 2021, 12:29 pm

Aladdin has an anniversary next year. Here's hopin'!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Farerb » September 17th, 2021, 1:58 pm

It seems that there mistakes in the Hunchback Legacy Collection:

1. Topsy Turvy is the not the film version, it's from the soundtrack so it has a piece of score that shouldn't be there.

2. And He Shall Smite the Wicked is cut in the middle and not complete.

3. It doesn't have the reprise of Heaven's Light.

This is based on the digital version, I hope the disc is not like that :(

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » September 17th, 2021, 4:53 pm

Farerb wrote:
September 17th, 2021, 1:58 pm
It doesn't have the reprise of Heaven's Light.
What what WHAAAT!!?!??

I *LOVE* the reprise of Heaven's Light! I’d rather have that than the track from the stage show. Maybe it’s just buried in another cue? They have the *demo* for it, so it would be weird if they don’t have the final version.

Track list:
Disc 1
1. The Bells of Notre Dame (From "The Hunchback of Notre Dame"/Soundtrack Version)- Performed by Paul Kandel and David Ogden Stiers and Tony Jay and Chorus - The Hunchback of Notre Dame

2. Morning in the Bell Tower (From "The Hunchback of Notre Dame"/Score/Remastered 2021)- Performed by Alan Menken

3. Out There (From "The Hunchback of Notre Dame"/Remastered 2021)- Performed by Tony Jay and Tom Hulce

4. The World Outside (From "The Hunchback of Notre Dame"/Score/Remastered 2021)- Performed by Alan Menken

5. Feast of Fools (From "The Hunchback of Notre Dame"/Score/Remastered 2021)- Performed by Alan Menken

6. Topsy Turvy (From "The Hunchback of Notre Dame"/Soundtrack Version)- Performed by Paul Kandel and Chorus - The Hunchback of Notre Dame

7. The Pillory (From "The Hunchback of Notre Dame"/Score/Remastered 2021)- Performed by Alan Menken

8. Humiliation (From "The Hunchback of Notre Dame"/Score/Remastered 2021)- Performed by Alan Menken

9. Frollo's Judgement (From "The Hunchback of Notre Dame"/Score/Remastered 2021)- Performed by Alan Menken

10. God Help the Outcasts (From "The Hunchback of Notre Dame"/Soundtrack Version)- Performed by Heidi Mollenhauer and Chorus - The Hunchback of Notre Dame

11. The Cathedral (From "The Hunchback of Notre Dame"/Score/Remastered 2021)- Performed by Alan Menken

12. Heaven's Light/Hellfire (From "The Hunchback of Notre Dame"/Remastered 2021)- Performed by Tom Hulce and Tony Jay and Chorus - The Hunchback of Notre Dame

13. Find the Girl (From "The Hunchback of Notre Dame"/Score/Remastered 2021)- Performed by Alan Menken

14. A Guy Like You (From "The Hunchback of Notre Dame"/Remastered 2021)- Performed by Jason Alexander and Charles Kimbrough and Mary Wickes and Mary Stout

15. Escape (From "The Hunchback of Notre Dame"/Score/Remastered 2021)- Performed by Alan Menken

16. The Court of Miracles (From "The Hunchback of Notre Dame"/Remastered 2021)- Performed by Paul Kandel and Chorus - The Hunchback of Notre Dame

17. Sanctuary! (From "The Hunchback of Notre Dame"/Score/Remastered 2021)- Performed by Alan Menken

18. And He Shall Smite the Wicked (From "The Hunchback of Notre Dame"/Score/Remastered 2021)- Performed by Alan Menken

Disc 2
1. Emergence (From "The Hunchback of Notre Dame"/Score/Remastered 2021)- Performed by Alan Menken

2. The Bells of Notre Dame (Reprise) (From "The Hunchback of Notre Dame"/Soundtrack Version)- Performed by Paul Kandel and Chorus - The Hunchback of Notre Dame

3. Someday (From "The Hunchback of Notre Dame"/Soundtrack Version)- Performed by All-4-One

4. God Help the Outcasts (From "The Hunchback of Notre Dame"/Bette Midler Version)- Performed by Bette Midler

5. The Bells of Notre Dame (Demo) (From "The Hunchback of Notre Dame"/Remastered 2021)- Performed by Alan Menken and Stephen Schwartz

6. Die Glocken Notre Dames (From the Musical "Der Glöckner von Notre Dame"/Remastered 2021)- Performed by Jens Janke and Norbert Lamla and Carlo Lauber and Chorus - The Hunchback of Notre Dame

7. Out There (Demo 1) (From "The Hunchback of Notre Dame"/Remastered 2021)- Performed by Stephen Schwartz and Alan Menken

8. Out There (Demo 2) (From "The Hunchback of Notre Dame"/Remastered 2021)- Performed by Alan Menken and Stephen Schwartz

9. Draussen (From the Musical "Der Glöckner von Notre Dame"/Remastered 2021)- Performed by Drew Sarich

10. Topsy Turvy (Demo 1) (From "The Hunchback of Notre Dame"/Remastered 2021)- Performed by Alan Menken and Stephen Schwartz

11. Topsy Turvy (Demo 2) (From "The Hunchback of Notre Dame"/Remastered 2021)- Performed by Alan Menken and Stephen Schwartz

12. God Help the Outcasts (Demo 1) (From "The Hunchback of Notre Dame"/Remastered 2021)- Performed by Alan Menken and Stephen Schwartz

13. God Help the Outcasts (Demo 2) (From "The Hunchback of Notre Dame"/Remastered 2021)- Performed by Heidi Mollenhauer

14. Someday (Demo) (From "The Hunchback of Notre Dame"/Remastered 2021)- Performed by Alan Menken

15. Someday (From "The Hunchback of Notre Dame"/Heidi Mollenhauer Version)- Performed by Heidi Mollenhauer

16. In a Place of Miracles (Synth Demo) (From "The Hunchback of Notre Dame"/Remastered 2021)- Performed by Alan Menken and Heidi Mollenhauer and Stephen Schwartz

17. Hellfire (Demo) (From "The Hunchback of Notre Dame"/Remastered 2021)- Performed by Alan Menken and Stephen Schwartz

18. Heaven's Light (Reprise - Demo) (From "The Hunchback of Notre Dame"/Remastered 2021)- Performed by Alan Menken

19. A Guy Like You (1st Demo) (From "The Hunchback of Notre Dame"/Remastered 2021)- Performed by Alan Menken

20. A Guy Like You (Full Demo) (From "The Hunchback of Notre Dame"/Remastered 2021)- Performed by Alan Menken

Not one but two alternate versions of A Guy Like You, if we needed those… And it ends the album at that! Kind of a shame. Might have been nicer to end with the deleted Place Of Miracles.

Seems it does mirror the digital version. I don’t mind the soundtrack versions so much, since there is a lot of other cues that *have* been remastered, but the lack of Heaven's Light is pretty poor, especially as they include the demo. Then again, I’m getting this more for the demos; it won’t replace the original soundtrack or the LaserDisc with the additional deleted songs. Those should have all been on here, though: make it a three-disc!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Bill1978 » September 17th, 2021, 5:41 pm

Farerb wrote:
September 17th, 2021, 9:54 am
Bill1978 wrote:
September 15th, 2021, 6:17 am
It should have been in Escape and it's not there.

And other than Hercules, you'd need Aladdin, Enchanted and Tangled in order to complete the Menken collection.
In The Lion King Legacy Collection at the time of announcement there was no mention of the little Timon Hulu 'song' being included and it popped up in the score so I'm hoping that's the case here.

As someone who owns the Music Behind The Magic boxset I often forget that people don't have access to al the hidden gems of the Aladdin score - and truthfully the score to Aladdin doesn't seem to be missing any of the major score moments that make me wish if only they released in in full.

In regards to Tangled and Enchanted, it wasn't clear in my post but I was referring to the movies of the original Disney peak for Menken - Mermaid to Hercules. But obviously I wouldn't complain if they did release those soundtrack as a collection. And I would probably be the only one interested in a Home On The Range Legacy release cause I would love to hear all the demos for that movie when it was originally conceived as a musical.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » September 17th, 2021, 7:26 pm

At this point, I have all the Legacies, so it would be as much about keeping the collection going as jumping for my favourite soundtracks again!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Farerb » September 18th, 2021, 2:20 am

Bill - you can listen to Hunchback via digital or spotify or whatever service you use (even YouTube), I listened to it and it's not there and some other mistakes as well... Tweeted Menken about it but I'm not sure how I can reach Disney otherwise.

I have the Music behind the Magic album (the only place where there's an instrumental of Beauty and the Beast's prologue), but I'd still want a Legacy Collection release for Aladdin, but I agree, I don't really need Enchanted or Tangled as well.

Ben - to me it's also a shame they didn't include As long as there's moon.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » September 18th, 2021, 3:44 am

Yep, that’s the other deleted song I was mentioning — just couldn’t remember the title!

Great that you tweeted Menken…maybe also try the Disney Music Emporium if they have a Twitter (or Facebook?) page:
https://www.disneymusicemporium.com/pro ... me?cp=null

There's also a feedback/suggest ideas box, though at this stage it may be too late, as you say…
https://www.disneymusicemporium.com/page/feedback

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Farerb » September 18th, 2021, 4:32 am

Thank you,
I sent them the message, hopefully something can be done in time.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Trinder » September 21st, 2021, 6:06 am

They made Into the Woods rated PG despite perverted Johnny Depp, keeping the affair intact and killing half the cast. Disney will work their damndest to make this PG.

But man would PG-13 Disney musical be exhilarating.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » September 21st, 2021, 7:13 am

Well the original was unbelievably G-rated, so I don’t think they’ll have any problems making this a PG, although maybe a PG-13 would be acceptable to them too. I think they’d try to keep it to a PG if they can, as long as some of the elements don't push it into -13 territory. It would be better for the film if it was PG-13, and Cruella did recently break that barrier (PG-13 being the new PG apparently), so it’s not outside the realms of possibility…

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Bill1978 » September 22nd, 2021, 6:38 am

I remember the original needing to be trimmed to guarantee a G rating in Australia back in the day. Because I had the soundtrack burned into my brain I recognised the trim they made in Hellfire as there was an abrupt end to the song (basically when the guy comes in and interrupts Frollo's singing). It wasn't until the home release (which apparently was allowed G without the trims) that I discovered there was actually another trim. When Esmerelda claims sanctuary in the church and Frollo makes that comment about birds (or something) not doing well in confined spaces, Australia had to trim the part where Frollo basically sniffs Esmerelda.

Today the movie would be released with a PG slapped on it cause so many of Disney's newer releases have had them including Frozen. Basically, unless it's 100% Happy Happy Joy Joy and full of sunshine, rainbow and lollipops, children cannot handle anything remotely scary in Australia and need that parental guidance.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » October 3rd, 2021, 8:59 pm

Is the Hunchback Legacy CD release still happening this week? Apart from some digital tracks I can’t find this anywhere on Amazon or elsewhere in physical form, and even the Disney Emporium has the sleeve blurred out like there something up. Did it get delayed?