Re: The Muppets

Post by Ben » November 25th, 2022, 4:03 pm

Oh, that’s nice!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » December 2nd, 2022, 3:30 pm

And now the Muppets reminisce:

Aside from the obvious and lack of Rizzo, a pretty fun vid. One more week until the restored version!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by gaastra » December 2nd, 2022, 7:32 pm

For those of us in america heads up as the dark crystal is back in theatres starting the 4th for its 40th birthday!

https://www.fathomevents.com/events/The ... 2022-12-04

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Randall » December 2nd, 2022, 10:58 pm

Then after rediscovering your love for The Dark Crystal, be sure to watch the awesome Netflix show! I just finished it recently and was very impressed.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Bill1978 » December 3rd, 2022, 1:51 am

I was so disappointed that Netflix didn't give the prequel series a second season.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Randall » December 3rd, 2022, 2:02 am

It told its story. I don't think I would have wanted anything more without a whole different concept

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » December 3rd, 2022, 4:01 am

"Dickens rhymes with chickens" :lol:

Matt seems to lose Kermit the longer he goes on. He’s better with the inflections and movements, but the voice deepens and gets more gravely, and his improv skills are not as sharp, so he seems to resort to platitudes and pleasantries, but by way of a greasy car salesman or cheesy lounge lizard.

Everyone else is naturally great, though it’s also hilarious how Robin sounds like Garth when he gets into a long explanation… :lol:

I did have a big soppy smile on my face at the ending, though. So sweet.

I’m hoping that the Dark Crystal gets a 4K disc release. Labyrinth got a nice set and Sony usually treats these two as a pair, so was surprised this wasn’t announced. Good to see it get a limited reissue! I still need to watch the 'Flix series!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Bill1978 » December 3rd, 2022, 5:44 am

Randall wrote:
December 3rd, 2022, 2:02 am
It told its story. I don't think I would have wanted anything more without a whole different concept
I guess i was just hoping that we may have got something that led straight into the movie or at least show the depressing moment of all the gelflings being wiped out.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Randall » December 3rd, 2022, 8:56 am

Me, I was afraid that they WOULD show that! Too depressing for me. As it stands, the Netflix show ended perfectly - they did great to give an uplifting ending that is bittersweet if you know the film.

The Dark Crystal got its 4K release in 2018. It is one of a handful of upgrades I'd consider when I get a 4K player.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » December 3rd, 2022, 4:30 pm

The Brett Goldstein and Miss Piggy version of Pride and Prejudice needs to happen! ;)

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » December 4th, 2022, 4:12 am

Randall wrote:
December 3rd, 2022, 8:56 am
The Dark Crystal got its 4K release in 2018. It is one of a handful of upgrades I'd consider when I get a 4K player.
I meant the 35th anniversary fancy packaging version like Labyrinth got. That’s the only reason to get it, since the image quality alone does not justify an "upgrade" if it’s just the same release in a standard case, as Crystal's 4K currently is. I think most were hoping for it to get the same kind of packaging treatment.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by EricJ » December 4th, 2022, 3:41 pm

Sony giving Crystal the same loving house treatment as Labyrinth? Ain't gonna happen.

Not a comment on the movie, just on the odd habit that, over the last twenty years of home theater, every time there's a new format, like DVD, UMD, Blu-ray or 4K, Sony always tests it out by releasing the SAME seven genre-symbolic titles over and over first, as tradition:
Action is Spiderman, Comedy is Baron Munchhausen, Badass Action is Resident Evil, Sci-fi is Fifth Element, and Kids is Labyrinth.

(And not a matter of box-office, as Crystal only did mild box-office when it opened, but Labyrinth did a sidewalk face-plant.)

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » December 4th, 2022, 9:00 pm

Sony has routinely treated both films as an unofficial double bill, and the last few times they came out they got matching packages. Both made their 4K debuts together again, with only Labyrinth getting the deluxe treatment so far. But DVD, reissue DVD, initial BDs and the first 4Ks all came out together.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by gaastra » December 4th, 2022, 10:18 pm

Good bye bob.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by EricJ » December 4th, 2022, 11:23 pm

Just...because, Big Bird. :(
(Oh, wait, Big Bird's not around anymore, either.)

At least a few are still around--
Just last month, our local community theater had an author reading from Sonia Manzano (who still looks hot), and when the posters went up, some of the people at the theater were surprised when I pointed out "Oh, right, that's Maria from Sesame Street, right?"