AV Founder
AV Founder

Re: DC Universe

Post by Ben » December 8th, 2022, 4:44 pm

All from this one THR story:

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/movie ... 235276804/

Now with Gunn response:

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/movie ... 235277996/

…which doesn’t actually seem to help or clarify things…!

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Randall » December 8th, 2022, 5:49 pm

Well, I guess we'll just need to be patient. THE PLAN is supposedly being revealed in January, and even then things are apt to change.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » December 8th, 2022, 7:05 pm

I think, basically, they’re nuts to not just let the current films go out, but rip up the DC playbook and start again.

Yes, I’d like to see more Supes on the big screen again, and I liked Cavill in the role and would have liked to have seen what he could do with a happier, brighter Superman. But he’s not getting any younger and if they’re basically looking at setting younger casts to carry on the next ten-fifteen years of DC movies then as much as it may pain to do so, they need to wrap up the current run with Flash and Aqua, and then hit the DC Extended Universe — whatever that really was anyway — reset button, and start the new DC Studios afresh and new.

Then, at least, audiences — not to mention the filmmakers and casts! — would know where we are and where they stand! ;)

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Randall » December 8th, 2022, 7:39 pm

Yeah, I tend to think so, too, though I would have liked to have seen one more Wonder Woman film with Gal, and one chance to see Henry as a proper Superman. But at this point, it's likely best to just move on.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by gaastra » December 14th, 2022, 9:46 pm

And cavill is gone. Next movie will be a young superman.

Did someone say reboot?

https://www.instagram.com/p/CmK7eLWJ0as ... MTA2M2Y%3D

Also, ben Affleck wants to direct a dc film and Gunn said yes.

https://twitter.com/JamesGunn/status/16 ... Lpvs4XOgYA

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Randall » December 14th, 2022, 10:47 pm

I have mixed feelings. Mostly sad that Henry never got the chance to be a proper Superman - he might have been great. However, I can appreciate the need to move on. The DCEU was a cluster, right from the dumb attempt to "Dark Knight" Superman.

Hopefully better days ahead!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Farerb » December 14th, 2022, 11:27 pm

I think Warner investing in rebooting DC is a mistake. Marvel is in a decline and it feels to me that people are kind of tired from superhero/comic book films. They should let it rest for ten years and come back with a fresh take when people are ready.

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dacey » December 15th, 2022, 3:22 am

This is terrible news.

Especially since it seems Cavill was promised a return—and even left The Witcher for it! Now he has neither!

And I don’t see people being super excited over a young Superman movie. But I could be wrong.

I have faith in Gunn, but this is still depressing speaking as someone who has enjoyed the bulk of the DCEU films. And does that this mean recasting EVERYONE?? It’s hard to imagine anyone but Margot Robbie as Harley Quinn at this point.
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift--that is why it's called the present."

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » December 15th, 2022, 4:25 am

Except for Lady Gaga…? ;)

Yes, this is all a big mess, but Gunn is doing the best thing he could do: let the past go and start again. I’d have really liked to have seen Cavill be a proper Superman, but that was his go and unfortunately the movies we got, for good or bad, and the problems onscreen and off that they had.

There’s still a couple of weird years to come as current franchises play out in the form of Flash — which would actually seem to be a good place to end things in terms of the Snyderverse properties, though there’s still Aquaman 2 — and a fragmented Batman multiverse that has Joker and The Batman not looking like they’re going to join up anytime soon, if ever. It’s still a mess, but *someone* needed to come in and save the day, as it were, and rather than let it all limp on, if they want a proper Marvel style universe, the DCU (?), then that is what Gunn is doing.

As for Cavill…maybe he gets Bond. James Bond…?

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » December 15th, 2022, 12:43 pm

Marvel should pluck him for Captain Britain.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by gaastra » December 15th, 2022, 1:04 pm

Especially since it seems Cavill was promised a return—and even left The Witcher for it! Now he has neither!
He didn't leave over superman he left angry the show was not like the games and not happy with the scripts. He was leaving with or without superman.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Randall » December 15th, 2022, 7:42 pm

Daniel wrote:
December 15th, 2022, 12:43 pm
Marvel should pluck him for Captain Britain.
While that's a good idea, it would be awesome for him to be Superman doppelganger Hyperion. Then maybe have Michael Keaton as Nighthawk and Gal as Power Princess. :)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Bill1978 » December 15th, 2022, 10:10 pm

I would love that casting and would then love the movie to be like the biggest thing since Infinity War and watch the faces of the Warner Execs. Haha

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » December 16th, 2022, 7:30 pm

Well, now you’re all just being super cheeky!

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Randall » December 16th, 2022, 8:58 pm

... And Ryan Reynolds as Doctor Spectrum.

NOW I'm being super cheeky.